• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Edd

While I'm sure it was great to visit, this trip ought to make you appreciate Utah when you're back! Get ready for a wave of unplanned east coasters spilling in if it doesnt change much. I know I'm eyeing flights, and not because I desire to fly west this year...I've got my fill, but because at some point I would like to ski on some actual fucking snow before MTB season. I would just assume take my vacation close to home this year so I'm really doing a dance for it to flip
Just pulled the trigger on Utah late Jan into Feb. Might start a thread because I’m going to focus on PowMow. Never been there. I don’t have a pass for the Cottonwood areas and I’ve been to those anyway. May check out Beaver Mountain as I have an Indy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just pulled the trigger on Utah late Jan into Feb. Might start a thread because I’m going to focus on PowMow. Never been there. I don’t have a pass for the Cottonwood areas and I’ve been to those anyway. May check out Beaver Mountain as I have an Indy.
Beaver is worth it. If there’s snow check out Pebble Creek in Idaho.

4aprice

While I'm sure it was great to visit, this trip ought to make you appreciate Utah when you're back! Get ready for a wave of unplanned east coasters spilling in if it doesnt change much. I know I'm eyeing flights, and not because I desire to fly west this year...I've got my fill, but because at some point I would like to ski on some actual fucking snow before MTB season. I would just assume take my vacation close to home this year so I'm really doing a dance for it to flip
I'll be looking forward to your Powderhorn reports. (someday I'll get there) I think it may flip down the road as well, however, the snow pack out west makes it a pretty special year out there, therefore worth the trip. I'll be heading out in March.
It’s not even MLK day yet. The weather is highly likely to change.

Oh, wrong thread. Vail isn’t going to change though.
Panic is setting in isn't it?

jaytrem

Beaver is worth it. If there’s snow check out Pebble Creek in Idaho.
I had to learn to ski with my mouth closed at Beaver. Deepest lightest snow I've ever seen. Hopefully make it back this year if they're still open in early April.

snoseek

Don't sleep on Sundance assuming the snow is filled a bit lower and cold. Beaver was sorta flat bit people to space ratio was damm good for Utah. There's stuff off the side...don't miss the traverse though

catskillman

In yet another example of Vail sucking, I had been signed up for a two day Master's GS Race Camp next Wednesday and Thursday at Mt Snow. I had been really looking forward to it.

Mt Snow just cancelled the camp saying they don't have enough snow to support it. Absolutely ridiculous. Even with this bad run of weather, Mt Snow hasn't made enough snow to set aside one training trail midweek for 32 participants? Are you serious? I bet even Gunstock could have supported it this week.

This is just another example of Vail totally failing at being aggressive with early season snowmaking. They are absolutely awful at Eastern Ski operations.

That company can't die soon enough.
Fuck Vail
They had a race camp at Hunter this week. Race trail was in terrible shape. They also cancelled the masters races Friday & Saturday. Skied that run today, huge bare spots and small trees popping up thru the snow.

catskillman

Check out this link - auction powder mountain - 2 tickets and cat rides. $80 opening bid, ends on the 7th! fantastic deal

Reactions: Edd

drjeff

Park City side of the Park City resort obviously sucked today! My son is in the foreground and his buddy in the background!

Then pic 2 is mother nature after she put down maybe 2" (just enough to cover up the ground) just prior to sunset at Mount Snow this afternoon...

Really lamenting the fact I absolutely had to be in my office the last few days verses out in Utah with my son, his friend and his friend's Dad who is one of my regular Mount Snow ski friends...20230106_100656(0).jpg

Attachments

• 20230106_164829.jpg
    20230106_164829.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

deadheadskier

Staff member
Park City side of the Park City resort obviously sucked today! My son is in the foreground and his buddy in the background!

Then pic 2 is mother nature after she put down maybe 2" (just enough to cover up the ground) just prior to sunset at Mount Snow this afternoon...

Really lamenting the fact I absolutely had to be in my office the last few days verses out in Utah with my son, his friend and his friend's Dad who is one of my regular Mount Snow ski friends...View attachment 55854

Sucks being a working stiff sometimes doesn't it? Haha

Good for your son. I'm sure you'll get days like that with him soon to make up for it

thetrailboss

Staff member
Don't sleep on Sundance assuming the snow is filled a bit lower and cold. Beaver was sorta flat bit people to space ratio was damm good for Utah. There's stuff off the side...don't miss the traverse though
THIS would be the year to ski Sundance. Their base depths are deep.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Apparently there was another new Dopp FGQ lift out West (forgot which resort) installed this year that had the same issue and need for evac a few weeks ago.

Rumor is that for their FGQ's that Dopp may have some bad/defective bearings supplied to them
Sundance's Quad had issues. I don't know if an evac was required, but it was closed for a few days.

pinion

Vail still sucks, but at least they ran all 5 lifts to start the day at Wildcat today. I may be wrong, but from memory I think that’s the first time since 2019/2020 that all lifts were ready to go to start the day. Improvement! Plus, snowmaking is ongoing and what little there is to ski is skiing great.