• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Edd

They’ve set the bar at Wildcat so low, if any part of the mountain runs normally we’re like “Oh, good job, way to go slugger.”

Smellytele

Vail still sucks, but at least they ran all 5 lifts to start the day at Wildcat today. I may be wrong, but from memory I think that’s the first time since 2019/2020 that all lifts were ready to go to start the day. Improvement! Plus, snowmaking is ongoing and what little there is to ski is skiing great.
Where were they making snow? Looked like just upper pole cat when I was xcountry skiing at great glen today.

pinion

Where were they making snow? Looked like just upper pole cat when I was xcountry skiing at great glen today.

That’s it, though due to the length of that stretch it’s quite a few guns.

Snowmaking done on Wild Kitten earlier has held up well so hopefully the same happens with Upper Polecat and they can focus elsewhere in a day or two.

Relative to snowmaking efforts - sans the week the Keystone guys were out here blowing - the past 2 years, I will take this as an improvement. Especially if it’s done well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
well only until the lifts closed no après-ski.
That does not sound EPIC to me....

And isn't the whole business model that Vail uses based upon people using the ancillary services at a premium to make more revenue and compensate for the cheap Epic passes? At least the last time I visited and skied Park City, the other services (ski school, ski rentals, retail, food and bev) were all at a premium cost. So why close the bar early and lose revenue? Apparently Broomfield thinks it is losing money. Seems odd to me since I know a lot of folks here love the Wildcat Bar.

BenedictGomez

Just pulled the trigger on Utah late Jan into Feb. Might start a thread because I’m going to focus on PowMow. Never been there. I don’t have a pass for the Cottonwood areas and I’ve been to those anyway. May check out Beaver Mountain as I have an Indy.

Powder Mountain is kind of a weird place, but that's a part of why I enjoyed it as it's unique. It's hard to put my finger on properly explaining it, but it's just..... odd. But it's very uncrowded & pretty large, I'll bet you'll enjoy it too.

Perhaps give Sundance a shot as well; I'm always surprised how few people have skied it, even among people who've done 3 or 6 Utah trips and have skied virtually everywhere else in the state. It's basically a giant Plattekill, and on a nice day the views of Mount Timpanogos are amazing. Pretty views of Deer Creek reservoir too. Very local. I'm a fan. My 2¢.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Powder Mountain is kind of a weird place, but that's a part of why I enjoyed it as it's unique. It's hard to put my finger on properly explaining it, but it's just..... odd. But it's very uncrowded & pretty large, I'll bet you'll enjoy it too.

Perhaps give Sundance a shot as well; I'm always surprised how few people have skied it, even among people who've done 3 or 6 Utah trips and have skied virtually everywhere else in the state. It's basically a giant Plattekill, and on a nice day the views of Mount Timpanogos are amazing. Pretty views of Deer Creek reservoir too. Very local. I'm a fan. My 2¢.
FWIW on my flight back to SLC on Saturday I shared a row with a very opinionated and die hard skier. He's hit all the places in Utah. When he mentioned Pow Mow he said, "it's flat and weird." I have to agree.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the map it looks expansive acreage wise but vert and steep leave alot to be desired. Also the lift layout looks odd and unintuitive but that could just be the map.
....and in a bad season the terrain is limited because there is no snowmaking.

eatskisleep

FWIW on my flight back to SLC on Saturday I shared a row with a very opinionated and die hard skier. He's hit all the places in Utah. When he mentioned Pow Mow he said, "it's flat and weird." I have to agree.
Interesting. Never been but it’s on my list. Would love to hear more though

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree that PowMow is a bit unique, but we skied untracked almost all day off the Paradise chair and had one of my best days in Utah. I was disappointed in Powder Country though as snow was sticky due to the trail's aspect.

The snowcat experience is also fun, but wish the runs were a bit longer.

KustyTheKlown

i have skied two days ever at powmow

the first day was bad. we were in utah for a big but warm snow cycle. powmow is relatively low elevation, and the storm hit them as fr.rain. first day was among the worst western ski days I've had. then it snowed 10" overnight and kept snowing and we had a banging second day. i will agree that it is 'weird and flat' but if you are just trying to cruise mellow glades and open powder fields, its worth a visit. i am going this year to get the value out of my indy pass for 2 days during a 14 day trip that will also have me at alta, bird, snowbasin, and jackson, so i don't mind dialing it down for a couple of days at powmow (and also at sun valley). basically I'll have 5 'mellow' days and 9 'hardcore' days. works for me.

they have a cat skiing operation i did not get to try out my first visit, and there are absolutely sections of the mountains I've not skied. its massive. it has the most acreage of any ski area in the USA i think.

the way real estate is scattered throughout the ski terrain is weird and unique. i know other places have big slopeside homes and stuff, but this is different. hard to describe. there's one group of homes that is very sparse and scandinavian in its design.

snoseek

Attitash is skiing pretty good right now. I've somehow found myself skiing here quite a bit this year either as a wildcat attitash combo or just quick trips from home. It's nit been a disaster on my days and now that all the cool kids moved on its fucking empty on the midweek. Wildcat as well.

Terrain expansion has been slow but that seems like the case for everywhere. They've done a good job resurfacing and grooming. I wish they would not sit on the piles they blow so long. Overall operations aren't where they need to be but are leaps and bounds ahead of the past 2 years. I realize the bar is set pretty low but let's not pretend that these resorts thrived under the peak Era. Lots of fucked leftovers from that. Stuff is slowly being addressed and I would like to see big snowmaking upgrades for years like this.

I may even buy a beer at the bar today.