• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

2Planker

As for AirBnB fees being outrageous, I just rented a place in Jackson for a week in June. Found spot on AirBnB then contacted the owner separately…saved $500 in fees by going through them directly.
Only IF the owner is willing to do that and take the chance on losing their AirB&B spot. Some will, many will not take that chance

drjeff

I dont know how it will play out in terms of ski country, but there's already a thought process that there might be an AirBnBust in the coming years. The number of ABNB units which came online during COVID19 is staggering, right when real estate prices went bananas. So many of these folks are now sitting on massive home price gains that it defies logic (IMHO) why they simply arent selling their 2nd SFH and condos/TH for a quick 40%, 50%, 75% gain etc.... rather than trying to nickel & dime that same return over STR rental days for X years. Not to mention, many local governments are getting sick of the negative impact from ABNB & VRBO etc.... and are starting to either limit STR units or ban them outright.
In some cases, it's not just the town that is looking into controling the STR/LTR situation, but even numerous condo complexes themselves.

I know the Board of my condo complex up at Mount Snow instituted a by-laws change, where anyone who rents their unit in the STR market has to pay $1000 in the Jan-Jun time frame as well as the July-December timeframe and any LTR rentals are $500 per 6 month time frame as a way to offset the extra wear and tear on the communtiy fitness center than the STR and LTR renters tend to do as well as the administrative hassels on the property management firm for regularly having to deal with the failure of especially the STR renters of not adhere to the 2 parking spaces per unit that we have in effect in our complex. This was instituted this calendar year and was a direct result of about 20 units that changed hands during the last 3 years COVID time, most of which were bought and put into the STR/LTR pool rather than just personal use, on top of the 20 or so units whose longer term owners had in the STR/LTR pool. Prior to the explosion of the online STR/LTR trend, our association actually had it's own on property rental agent who marketed and handled most of the STR/LTR units in our complex, including making sure that the renters were following association policies with repect to parking and property use. Our board did away with that position 5 or 6 years ago as the online market was taking off and the through the condo complex direct renting decreased.

I will say that I was lucky enough that the unit next to mine, which had been in the STR pool, sold a little over a year ago to people who only use it for personal use, which has made it so much nicer not having to deal with cars parked in out designated spaces upon arrival for the weekend, which used to be a fairly regular thing. Some, but certainly not all, folks who are doing the STR, create problems for not just the owner of the STR, but also the neighbors of that property, and I can certainly see why many communities as well as individual complex associations are taking stances on it

cdskier

As for AirBnB fees being outrageous, I just rented a place in Jackson for a week in June. Found spot on AirBnB then contacted the owner separately…saved $500 in fees by going through them directly.
At this point you’re better off going through a hotel or rental agency and avoid all the extra bs, also most hotels have actual cleaning standards unlike alot of AirBnbs…

I rented directly with the owner outside of AirBnB this past fall on a vacation. In my case it was a repeat rental of the same place I rented the year before. At the end of my first stay, the owner said to feel free to reach out directly if I wanted to rent again the following year. I saved a few hundred dollars over what the AirBnB price would have been. Not sure I would feel comfortable doing that though if I didn't already meet the owner and know the place.

cdskier

In some cases, it's not just the town that is looking into controling the STR/LTR situation, but even numerous condo complexes themselves.

I know the Board of my condo complex up at Mount Snow instituted a by-laws change, where anyone who rents their unit in the STR market has to pay $1000 in the Jan-Jun time frame as well as the July-December timeframe and any LTR rentals are $500 per 6 month time frame as a way to offset the extra wear and tear on the communtiy fitness center than the STR and LTR renters tend to do as well as the administrative hassels on the property management firm for regularly having to deal with the failure of especially the STR renters of not adhere to the 2 parking spaces per unit that we have in effect in our complex. This was instituted this calendar year and was a direct result of about 20 units that changed hands during the last 3 years COVID time, most of which were bought and put into the STR/LTR pool rather than just personal use, on top of the 20 or so units whose longer term owners had in the STR/LTR pool. Prior to the explosion of the online STR/LTR trend, our association actually had it's own on property rental agent who marketed and handled most of the STR/LTR units in our complex, including making sure that the renters were following association policies with repect to parking and property use. Our board did away with that position 5 or 6 years ago as the online market was taking off and the through the condo complex direct renting decreased.

I will say that I was lucky enough that the unit next to mine, which had been in the STR pool, sold a little over a year ago to people who only use it for personal use, which has made it so much nicer not having to deal with cars parked in out designated spaces upon arrival for the weekend, which used to be a fairly regular thing. Some, but certainly not all, folks who are doing the STR, create problems for not just the owner of the STR, but also the neighbors of that property, and I can certainly see why many communities as well as individual complex associations are taking stances on it

Hah...can't see my condo complex doing that or agreeing to that. I know at least several units in my complex are used exclusively for STR and sometimes you definitely have renters that don't follow the parking rules (not just bringing too many cars...but sometimes parking in ways that take up multiple spots such as parking parallel along a fence that is supposed to be head in/diagonal parking). I more blame the owners for not telling the rules to the renters though.

But even though there's a 2 car per unit rule in our by-laws, even owners themselves don't listen to that. I counted 4 cars for 1 unit by me on several weekends this year. My neighbor regularly has 3 cars up. The parking topic was brought up at our yearly meeting last year and even one of the board members outright admitted to often having more than 2 cars ("well I have a car, and my kids are older and each come up with a separate car sometimes. We can't really tell someone their family and friends can't come up on weekends"). If our own board members choose to ignore certain rules, fat chance we'll ever put more rules in (or actually enforce them if we did put them in).

ThatGuy

I rented directly with the owner outside of AirBnB this past fall on a vacation. In my case it was a repeat rental of the same place I rented the year before. At the end of my first stay, the owner said to feel free to reach out directly if I wanted to rent again the following year. I saved a few hundred dollars over what the AirBnB price would have been. Not sure I would feel comfortable doing that though if I didn't already meet the owner and know the place.
I get that, honestly at this point with all the hidden fees hotels are more reliable and a better deal…also can rack up rewards

cdskier

I get that, honestly at this point with all the hidden fees hotels are more reliable and a better deal…also can rack up rewards
Depends on the scenario, but other than a short trip, I'd rather stay in an AirBnB if it is more than a couple days. I like having space to spread out and relax, a kitchen to at least use for cooking breakfast, etc. I'm just also cautious about which AirBnB I rent and read a ton of reviews, etc before booking an AirBnB. And at least for the first time booking a place, you do get some safe-guards and protections when you go through AirBnB.

Edd

We’ve rented god-knows how many AirBnBs and VRBOs and I personally found the VRBOs (also Homeaway, before they merged or whatever with VRBO) to be the less dodgy stays, when it comes to weirdness like cleanliness or things not presented as advertised. My wife and friends tend to disagree with me on that. I’ll always go VRBO if I’m booking but I have seen significant prices differences between the services for the same properties on the same dates.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I dont know how it will play out in terms of ski country, but there's already a thought process that there might be an AirBnBust in the coming years. The number of ABNB units which came online during COVID19 is staggering, right when real estate prices went bananas. So many of these folks are now sitting on massive home price gains that it defies logic (IMHO) why they simply arent selling their 2nd SFH and condos/TH for a quick 40%, 50%, 75% gain etc.... rather than trying to nickel & dime that same return over STR rental days for X years. Not to mention, many local governments are getting sick of the negative impact from ABNB & VRBO etc.... and are starting to either limit STR units or ban them outright.
The reason why they simply arent selling their 2nd SFH and condos/TH for a quick 40%, 50%, 75% gain etc...: Interest rates. If they sell and buy a new property, the mortgage rate is most likely going to be much higher.

BenedictGomez

The reason why they simply arent selling their 2nd SFH and condos/TH for a quick 40%, 50%, 75% gain etc...: Interest rates. If they sell and buy a new property, the mortgage rate is most likely going to be much higher.

Interest rates keep people in their primary, not their secondary or tertiary investment units, which are primarily for capital appreciation & passive income purposes. When you're up $378,000 in 16 months on a unit which cost you $400,000, you should take the win.

the_awesome

I've heard that they are planning on removing the mountain coaster as well. Apparently it was purchased as a "kit" and assembled by general maintenance crews and has become (or perhaps always was) slightly sketch. At an event in the past I actually saw a little kid get ejected coming around the bottom corner and landed on Lower Cathedral...he walked it off, but quite the look of shock on his face initially lol. Either way, there was a good size line to get on it at the time. It was great when they used to have random bands play outside with cornhole and other games setup, the bar always seemed plenty busy.

drjeff

I've heard that they are planning on removing the mountain coaster as well. Apparently it was purchased as a "kit" and assembled by general maintenance crews and has become (or perhaps always was) slightly sketch. At an event in the past I actually saw a little kid get ejected coming around the bottom corner and landed on Lower Cathedral...he walked it off, but quite the look of shock on his face initially lol. Either way, there was a good size line to get on it at the time. It was great when they used to have random bands play outside with cornhole and other games setup, the bar always seemed plenty busy.

I guess time will tell....

Kind of figured something like this may happen this Summer, if for no other reason than that 1 tower that both Flying Yankee and the old Summit Triple shared, I am guessing that it may end up being replaced, and maybe just for the Flying Yankee depending on the line routing of the new Mountaineer HSQ. Even though the mountain coaster doesn't need lift access to use, there's going to be plenty of heavy equipment and "moving parts" in that general base area for a good chunk of this off season.

While this does suck, there seems to be some legit safety reasons behind it in this case as well, since if one hasn't seen in person the amount of space that top and bottom terminal construction for a lift takes up, and there's not a ton of extra spece between the bottom terminal area, the parking lot, and route 302, and I am guessing that they will regularly be staging as much construction items as possible on the mountain side of 302 vs the other side in those parking lots. And there's not a ton of space on the mountain side

KustyTheKlown

thats def a thing to do only after you've already stayed via airbnb and both parties agree that they are comfy cutting out the middleman. would never do this for a first visit. too much scam potential

deadheadskier

Staff member
If Attitash loses the coaster, they should reclaim that area as a ski trail. That side of the mountain could use more downhill capacity. Everything pretty much funnels down to Lower Cathedral. You could them ski Tims and take Straight Shot to the new trail or cut off Upper Cathedral to it.

LuckyStrike

I'm bored at work so why not rant about Mt Snow? Before the new Carinthia lodge there was a temporary "lodge" set up at the base of the lift. It was very simple with a bathroom/limited grille food and limited seating. But the lodge was a place for teens to go and hang out. There were gaming consoles, couches and "cool" music playing. Even though I was too old I thought it was good that kids had their own clubhouse on the mountain away from the family lodge scene. Personally , I liked that there was mountain entertainment outside of the boomer staples of accoustic guitair or classic rock. Then Vail built that gaudy new lodge and tore the old scene down. Which was a shame b/c the entire point of Carinthia (imo) was to draw park riders in from all over the northeast. Whatever. I'm outta steam. Back to work.

crystalmountainskier

I'm bored at work so why not rant about Mt Snow? Before the new Carinthia lodge there was a temporary "lodge" set up at the base of the lift. It was very simple with a bathroom/limited grille food and limited seating. But the lodge was a place for teens to go and hang out. There were gaming consoles, couches and "cool" music playing. Even though I was too old I thought it was good that kids had their own clubhouse on the mountain away from the family lodge scene. Personally , I liked that there was mountain entertainment outside of the boomer staples of accoustic guitair or classic rock. Then Vail built that gaudy new lodge and tore the old scene down. Which was a shame b/c the entire point of Carinthia (imo) was to draw park riders in from all over the northeast. Whatever. I'm outta steam. Back to work.
Vail did not build the lodge. Vail inherited the lodge.