• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Mum skier

Also, the dividend paid on their stock went up.

Regarding the increased dining revenue: I suspect that is just a rebound following the relaxing of the Covid-19 years' restrictions.
Yes, last year many on mountain food outlets were closed. Hard to spend money on FandB if nothing is open. Eg Sunapee last year only the main lodge was doing hot food. Drinks and candy only at Spruce lodge and the summit lodge, no food, only for warming Up in and restrooms. This year all were open.

LonghornSkier

There's also probably a good bit of price/mix contribution in the revenue numbers. See $PEP and $KO earnings from the last couple of days as proof of this. Volume flat, but pricing creating 14% organic revenue growth.

doublediamond

Even though that season pass allocation is completely made up … revenues in tickets/passes only up 4% when prices went ip 20% just doesn’t add up.

My days at Vail owned properties this year (other than at Crotched) had noticeably smaller crowds,

cdskier

Even though that season pass allocation is completely made up … revenues in tickets/passes only up 4% when prices went ip 20% just doesn’t add up.

My days at Vail owned properties this year (other than at Crotched) had noticeably smaller crowds,

Revenue from tickets/passes only being up 4% even though prices went up 20% is entirely possible due to converting more people from expensive day tickets to cheaper pass products (on a per day basis).

AdironRider

LOL to the those who think Vail, a publicly traded company, is fudging the numbers and committing felonies

doublediamond

I don’t think they’re cooking the books … just obfuscating details.

For example the change a few years back to counting pre-sold X-packs of tickets as season pass products. Or their refusal to announce YoY same-mountain numbers despite their massive expansion over the last 6 years. It’s standard on Wall St to do such comparisons to identify trends outside of expansion/contraction, yet in world Vail that’s sacrilegious.

doublediamond

To add... so while skier visits is up 6.1%, that also includes the additional sk visits to their three new PA properties.

cdskier

To add... so while skier visits is up 6.1%, that also includes the additional sk visits to their three new PA properties.

Yes, but the press release also says that the skier visit numbers for their three new PA properties were included in the results from last year that they're using for comparison as well. So the 6.1% number should be an apples to apples comparison.

raisingarizona

LOL to the those who think Vail, a publicly traded company, is fudging the numbers and committing felonies
It's really easy to play with numbers legally. It's a lot like the old White Heat Trail claims from back in the 90's. It wasn't exactly truthful but it wasn't wrong either.

BenedictGomez

LOL to those who think publicly traded companies never fudge the numbers and commit felonies.

Certainly not saying Vail is (they likely aren't), but I could fill this thread with examples of precisely that just from off the top of my head. No GOOG required!

deadheadskier

Staff member
LOL to those who think publicly traded companies never fudge the numbers and commit felonies.

Certainly not saying Vail is (they likely aren't), but I could fill this thread with examples of precisely that just from off the top of my head. No GOOG required!

I don't how or if Vail fudges numbers, but a common example of number fudging is revenue reporting in the manufacturing industry. Revenue is recorded not at the point of sale, but at transfer of ownership of goods or contracted services.

So what do manufacturers do? They try and maintain at least a fiscal quarter or more of backlogged orders. Then they release the amount of backlog needed to meet quarterly revenue targets if the current in quarter orders won't meet those targets. This helps smooth out the peaks and valleys of actual performance to maintain investor confidence.

Obviously over time, continued poor sales performance can deplete backlog and eventually reality will catch up on their balance sheets.

But to your point, publicly traded companies will do everything possible to fudge numbers including committing felonies to create the perceived reality investors are looking for.

AdironRider

You guys just aren't willing to admit all your bluster about how Vail was screwing up was wrong, up to saying they are lying about financial performance.

You might not like it, but they are doing something right. Literally almost all metrics for business performance are up. Lift tickets, ski school, f&b, retail. You can't fudge everything.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You guys just aren't willing to admit all your bluster about how Vail was screwing up was wrong, up to saying they are lying about financial performance.

You might not like it, but they are doing something right. Literally almost all metrics for business performance are up. Lift tickets, ski school, f&b, retail. You can't fudge everything.

My first sentence stated that I don't know how or if Vail fudges numbers.

I was simply responding to your claim that they as a publicly traded company would not fudge numbers. Many, many, many publicly traded companies do and I provided you a common example.

That's all

If the numbers are to be believed, it would appear that Vail has a fiscally healthy business. Is that what you want to hear?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

And those numbers were sustained by continued growth via acquisition, then post-pandemic spending in hospitality going through the roof. Now what happens as it seems like the economy is slowing down, the short-term rental market is crashing and much more regulated, and pandemic savings are largely spent by many.

raisingarizona

And those numbers were sustained by continued growth via acquisition, then post-pandemic spending in hospitality going through the roof. Now what happens as it seems like the economy is slowing down, the short-term rental market is crashing and much more regulated, and pandemic savings are largely spent by many.

This article says contrary to social media claims the numbers are up for Air BnB's

thetrailboss

Staff member

"I'm back! Hey good looking, send me your deets and I will send you a special THANK YOU for all of your love and support with all these haters who are just going to hate!"

Screen-Shot-2020-06-11-at-11.30.35-AM-1024x728.png