• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thetrailboss

Staff member
"Thanks for highlighting this groundbreaking program. Being a tool myself, I can personally attest to the importance of having the newest and most EPIC gear when you are skiing and riding. I eagerly anticipate your enthusiastic feedback next season. You're welcome!"
pixel.gif

Rob-Katz-Vail-Resort-Winter-12.jpg

AdironRider

It is amazing to me just how blind a lot of people are as to who makes up the majority of customers for Vail. That gear rental program is going to crush it. My aunt does this in Crested Butte each year and swears by it. It also costs a lot more than 50 a day and she doesn't blink. A decent ski coat it over 500 bucks these days. Nevermind pants and the rest of the kit.

For every AZ poster, there are 10 more from Dallas or Florida or NYC that travel to the mountains once a year and don't want to deal with the rigmarole of having a whole kit of equipment they never use otherwise.

Traveling with ski equipment sucks ass even as a die hard.

drjeff

It is amazing to me just how blind a lot of people are as to who makes up the majority of customers for Vail. That gear rental program is going to crush it. My aunt does this in Crested Butte each year and swears by it. It also costs a lot more than 50 a day and she doesn't blink. A decent ski coat it over 500 bucks these days. Nevermind pants and the rest of the kit.

For every AZ poster, there are 10 more from Dallas or Florida or NYC that travel to the mountains once a year and don't want to deal with the rigmarole of having a whole kit of equipment they never use otherwise.

Agree 100%, and I think you can also see from the limited number of their properties where this program is being rolled out for this 1st season that their data shows them how many of the FL, GA, TX, AZ, Southern CA folks for example buy say 4 or 5 days Epic Passes and travel to certain resorts and rent gear. I am guessing that their goal is to get this demographic to take an extra trip a year and maybe convert to a some full Epic Pass rather than just the certain number of days pass.

Not sure this program will ever make it to all of their properties (Can't really see it as a thing at say Crotched or some of their small Midwest resorts anytime soon, if ever, for sure) but I can certainly see it being at all of their destination resorts in the next couple of seasons

thebigo

Vail gear program would actually be useful for tacking a ski day onto a business trip.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree 100%, and I think you can also see from the limited number of their properties where this program is being rolled out for this 1st season that their data shows them how many of the FL, GA, TX, AZ, Southern CA folks for example buy say 4 or 5 days Epic Passes and travel to certain resorts and rent gear. I am guessing that their goal is to get this demographic to take an extra trip a year and maybe convert to a some full Epic Pass rather than just the certain number of days pass.

“Have I told you lately, that I love you? Have I told you, there’s no there's no one else above you!”

IMG_7294.jpeg

BenedictGomez

$50 a day to demo new gear isn't a bad deal...
But if you only do it once it's $100 as there's the one-time-per-season fee as well.

Just taking advantage of a soup du jour demo day is a far better fit if you really want to kick the tires on a bunch of different skis.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I was going to say, even plenty of "hardcore" skiers I know only travel West with their boots and rent skis to avoid the hassle and / or having skis not make the flight due to lost baggage.

When I eventually take my kids on a western ski vacation when they are old enough to appreciate it, I very well might just rent skis for myself. It would serve two purposes; make travel easier and try new skis to figure out what I might want to buy next.

teleo

If I didn't tele and have wider(115) skis I might rent when I go west.
This is my prob too. Almost impossible to rent tele. Last year I took 2 pair to have a spare in case something broke. Also, now that I'm retired and taking multi week trips west, the rental costs don't make sense. I know, 1st world problems.

Anyone have experiences, good or bad, shipping skiis?

machski

I was going to say, even plenty of "hardcore" skiers I know only travel West with their boots and rent skis to avoid the hassle and / or having skis not make the flight due to lost baggage.

When I eventually take my kids on a western ski vacation when they are old enough to appreciate it, I very well might just rent skis for myself. It would serve two purposes; make travel easier and try new skis to figure out what I might want to buy next.

The couple of times I have hired a guide ay Big Sky for a day to hit some off the really gnarly stuff, they always make fun of skiers sporting rental sticks boarding the tram. Very easy to spot with the rental bindings, just saying.

machski

The fact they are replacing the slow chair tripel after I kick epic to the curb. Maybe I'm making bad life choices...

Probably not.
I wasn't going Epic then my wife jumped back into teaching. Was suppose to be just a 3 month sub position to cover a Maternity leave. Nope, now its all year (that teacher gave her resignation notice) so back to an Epic NE Midweek Value for me to access Crotched and Sunapee. Of course this dropped on us 3 days after the Hot Tub was installed at our place up North 🤬

2Planker

I wasn't going Epic then my wife jumped back into teaching. Was suppose to be just a 3 month sub position to cover a Maternity leave. Nope, now its all year (that teacher gave her resignation notice) so back to an Epic NE Midweek Value for me to access Crotched and Sunapee. Of course this dropped on us 3 days after the Hot Tub was installed at our place up North 🤬
No worries.... We are Hot Tub pro's :) and would be happy to use it regularly for you

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The couple of times I have hired a guide ay Big Sky for a day to hit some off the really gnarly stuff, they always make fun of skiers sporting rental sticks boarding the tram. Very easy to spot with the rental bindings, just saying.

Demo bindings at least are wayyyyyyyyy beyond what they were just 10 years ago. It's slowly trickling into "normal" low/mid performance rental skis. I had 3 friends out here in UT this season that rented.... one true beginner, one intermediate, and one advanced. All their skis were in great shape with decent bindings. The advanced skier got a demo and it had a great binding on it. Barely heavier than the comparable skis I was on.

deadheadskier

Staff member

You care about that?

When I say rentals, I mean high end demos with the intention to buy. Not Joey skis

crystalmountainskier

Lol maybe the guy on rental skis is the smart one not destroying his skis on Big Scree rocks and saving the $700 you spent on a private "guide"