• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

AdironRider

If I didn't tele and have wider(115) skis I might rent when I go west.

screen-shot-2010-12-14-at-10-03-25-am.png

machski

You care about that?

When I say rentals, I mean high end demos with the intention to buy. Not Joey skis
Not really, but I do care about knowing how the bindings holding me in have been treated and maintained when skiing high consequence lines. I am sure demo bindings have been improved pver the years, but they are still designed to be quickly reset to a new renter. Feel much better in high consequence lines in my own gear that I know is set properly and taken care of.

drjeff

Not really, but I do care about knowing how the bindings holding me in have been treated and maintained when skiing high consequence lines. I am sure demo bindings have been improved pver the years, but they are still designed to be quickly reset to a new renter. Feel much better in high consequence lines in my own gear that I know is set properly and taken care of.
I've been skiing on a bunch of demo bindings for the last decade or so on many pairs of skis. 6'3", with all my gear on I an in the 240/250lbs range. I ski hard when I want to. I will admit that I don't ski "fall and die" type lines anymore, but even ripping big G force arcs on hard snow at 40mph plus, never had an issue with the retention of demo bindings

RH29

I've had my R9s for one season and my cost per day on them will probably get below $50/day sometime this winter. And I plan on skiing those for the next decade.

BenedictGomez

Demo bindings at least are wayyyyyyyyy beyond what they were just 10 years ago.

Yup; this is one of those misnomers of yesteryear that people still believe. Two of my 4 pairs of skis are on rental bindings and I couldn't tell you a bit of difference between any of those 4 pairs.

BenedictGomez

I've had my R9s for one season and my cost per day on them will probably get below $50/day sometime this winter. And I plan on skiing those for the next decade.

Yeah, I immediately called-out that line of BS in the Vail PR for the EPIC Gear program. You know it's a bad lie when it leaps right off the page at you.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

yeah the Bold is certainly BS, but for the 1 week a year crowd who goes to Vail or Brek, this might be something that sells well.

Again, the people in this forum are not their target marketing for really anything
bingo.....I'd never use this here at home in the east over the 30 or so days I ski, but if I ever go out west to a vail resort, I'd be all over this and leave my 88's at home.

drjeff

bingo.....I'd never use this here at home in the east over the 30 or so days I ski, but if I ever go out west to a vail resort, I'd be all over this and leave my 88's at home.

Pretty sure that this new program is target way more at the 7 days or less a year, Western Destination Resort skiers from Warm Weather states, than it is at the person who skis say well over 10 times a year, and is more likely to own their own gear. For example if you have a Texan with an Epic Pass who skis a Breck for a week every year, and they use what sounds like it will be an app absed scanning feature for boot and gear size selection ahead of time, that's likely going to make them picking their gear up that much quicker and more efficient as the shop will have all of their gear data ahead of time and can set things up before they get there, Not unlike many ski area rental shops with weekly programs do ahead of time after the 1st week of the program when the renter has been fit and set up with gear for the 1st time. The it's more of a grab and go situation than a get sized, and set up longer experience. Heck if out of the million plus Epic pass products they sell annually now, say you get 10k people using this for an average of 5 days a season, thats an extra 6 million in revenue

As for the demo side of the equation, the $50 a day is on par with what many shops seem to charge, that $50 enrollment fee for data storage and reservation guarentee, is a bit over the top IMHO. Now if they want to do as many shops do and credit X number (usually no more than 2 or 3 in 1 season) of demo day fees to a purchase that season via their shop, then that's really on par with what the majority of shops that have a demo program do

danimals

There's some rumors about the western PA vail resorts starting to circulate over at DCski.

Who knows if true, but where there's smoke there can often be fire.

Zand

So with Six Flags and Cedar Fair merging in the amusement park industry, how long until Vail and Alterra merge and create the Epkon Pass?

jimmywilson69

I grew up within 45 minutes of each of those places. Laurel mountain was closed most of my life and is a ski area only.it really should only be open fri-sun.

Hidden Valley has a ton of full time residents so thia won't go over well.

The skiing is kind of meh at 7s except when there is lake effect snow. The crowds have always been an issue there on weekends.

danimals

So with Six Flags and Cedar Fair merging in the amusement park industry, how long until Vail and Alterra merge and create the Epkon Pass?
That's insane. Guess government regulators just don't care anymore.,

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I remember when ASC was forced to divest and sold off WV and Cranmore under threat of an anti-trust lawsuit. One must wonder how many more areas and percentage of skier visits, before that happens to them. That they operate 100% of MO skiing, I don't think that's significant, but that they own (or operate) about 50% of the open PA areas, might be.

drjeff

I remember when ASC was forced to divest and sold off WV and Cranmore under threat of an anti-trust lawsuit. One must wonder how many more areas and percentage of skier visits, before that happens to them. That they operate 100% of MO skiing, I don't think that's significant, but that they own (or operate) about 50% of the open PA areas, might be.
Unfortunately the gov't view of what constitutes an anti trust violation today is vastly different, and not nearly as strict as it was 20 years ago or so, as ASC was buying up so many resorts

My guess is that if Epic and Ikon wanted to merge, that enough $$ would flow from the lobbyists for those entities to the likely unelected regulatory agency folks who handle that part of the SEC, and it would go through without even blinking and eye

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Unfortunately the gov't view of what constitutes an anti trust violation today is vastly different, and not nearly as strict as it was 20 years ago or so, as ASC was buying up so many resorts

My guess is that if Epic and Ikon wanted to merge, that enough $$ would flow from the lobbyists for those entities to the likely unelected regulatory agency folks who handle that part of the SEC, and it would go through without even blinking and eye
Sadly, I think you’re right.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Attitash Update. According to LiftBlog, Vail has had to fly in its own lift mechanics from Indiana, Minnesota, and Ohio to get Mountaineer Express done. Judging by the latest video update, they are well behind schedule.

This is the second project in two years that I've seen Poma really get behind schedule-wise. Alta's Six Pack was delayed almost two months and the ski area lost a lot of revenue because that lift was crucial for the ski school programs. Word has it that Leitner-Poma was like: :dontknow: