• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

snoseek

Doubt wildcat will get enough to really open anything else although any snow will help them. 2 runs will ski off quick. I'm sitting this weekend out I have to work most of it

thebigo

Always found necn to be one of the best. Tim Kelly and Matt noyes are both skiers and tend to mention jay/cat/loaf etc during rain/snow events.

This storm feels like one that pastes the cat and loaf.

Smellytele

Always found necn to be one of the best. Tim Kelly and Matt noyes are both skiers and tend to mention jay/cat/loaf etc during rain/snow events.

This storm feels like one that pastes the cat and loaf.
Tim Kelly has a house near Jay. He used to do webcasts from Jay. He always talks about surfing as well.

Edd

I'm here either way.
Only question is BW vs the Cat. Need to "procure" a Day Tic

Have Comps for SR, but will prob hang on to those for later
BW has natural open now, with plenty of groomers additionally. It‘s not even a contest between the two of them currently.

Teleskier

Of course I have to go to VT and it is showing almost all r@!n there during the day.
Sure, of course it is - why not, let's add one more thing to all the stress of skiing this weekend besides the expected (by me) horrendous crowds.

How do you ski in the rain in a paper (or medical or KN95 or vacuum filter or etc) mask??

A cloth gaiter is fine for the rain, but not protection against the maskless or noses-out people in the lift lines (as I experienced on my one and only so far Epic resort experience this year in December).

Maybe the risk equation balances out to the same:
  1. It's raining and destroyed my mask but less people are in lift lines
  2. It's not raining and my mask works but there are so many expelling/talking people around me in the lift line.
Skiing is my go to activity to relieve work/etc stress. Now it's become a source of it.

abc

Maybe the risk equation balances out to the same:
  1. It's raining and destroyed my mask but less people are in lift lines
  2. It's not raining and my mask works but there are so many expelling/talking people around me in the lift line.
1) It's raining so there's less of them pesky virus/droplets floating in the air. They got washed down to the ground.
2) It's not raining ... and it's super crowded because it's SNOWING! There's nothing worse than a powder day smack in the middle of a major holiday!

I'm sitting this one out (partly because my pass is blackout but really just I dislike holiday skiing). Hope the snow help build base for later...

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Has anyone been able to figure out where we can make sure "auto-renew" on epic passes is not enabled? I can't find it anywhere in my account.
I sent an email to Vail to make sure its turned off but I would not put it past them to just delete the email and hit my credit card for next season the 1st chance they get.
No problem, when the charge hits your CC dispute it to the CC company.

Teleskier

1) It's raining so there's less of them pesky virus/droplets floating in the air. They got washed down to the ground.
2) It's not raining ... and it's super crowded because it's SNOWING! There's nothing worse than a powder day smack in the middle of a major holiday!

I'm sitting this one out (partly because my pass is blackout but really just I dislike holiday skiing). Hope the snow help build base for later...
Agreed. I feel like I'm sailing (and skiing) into a no-win scenario... Edmund Fitzgerald comes to mind. But 'the reservations are already made'...

jimmywilson69

While I dont necessarily agree with their response I'm not surprised. Also I think the language was written the way it was sort of intentionally to give them this out.

Basically vail is saying screw you. You can ski if you want to break the rules or eat your money.

Sucks but also some of these folks should've realized there was no way any travel restrictions were going to be lifted during ski season.

I beleive preseason they could've had an out, right?

I really didn't read it in depth because I knew I'd be able to ski at the Vail property 4 miles from my home and get "value" from the pass

njdiver85

My guess is that Vail will in the end, give a credit to any unused passes, but use it once, and you are SOL. So by keeping quiet now, they are encouraging people to use their pass at least once for fear of not getting anything out of the money they sunk. So that the number of unused passes will be very low, and therefore they don't have to give much money back (in the form of credits). Of course, piss off the right skier/lawyer, and maybe there is a class-action lawsuit?

thebigo

Appears to be another piece of the puzzle, Wildcat operations manager left in the fall. The more you dig, it appears anyone with experience or in a leadership role at wildcat and Attitash left in the fall. Wonder what vail did to piss them off so much? Their reward is coming in a couple months when any skier who is paying attention follows suit.