• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

abc

I think the intent of the original post was that Vail wants "the type" of skier who skis a few days a season locally and then goes out west to Vail's bigger resorts.
Thanks for making clear of what I didn't.

Vail would welcome ANY skiers. But it's biggest target are those who do a couple weekend in the east then a big splash of a week in Vail, Breck/Keystone or Park City.

tnt1234

I agree with you, DHS. We're talking similar money with Snowbird (in my situation) but they just don't get it I guess. Similar stupid corporate decisionmaking with POWDR and Vail I guess.

I think the intent of the original post was that Vail wants "the type" of skier who skis a few days a season locally and then goes out west to Vail's bigger resorts.
Yeah, I think that is the business model.

But doesn't the same kind of management attract THAT skier as well as DHS and you?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I
I watched that and all I can say is, "wow." Not good. I also love how Vail said that they would "revisit" the issue at the end of the season so as to "retain" their loyal customers. I think they missed the part about how folks ARE ALREADY pissed. :ROFLMAO:

FBGM

I didn’t realize skier visit numbers were so low at WildCat and Attatish

Those suckers are getting sold. And some others I bet. Vail don’t want or need. I predict June is when they will get sold.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I didn’t realize skier visit numbers were so low at WildCat and Attatish

Those suckers are getting sold. And some others I bet. Vail don’t want or need. I predict June is when they will get sold.
Well....as a publicly traded company they will do what they can to avoid "downsizing" due to the messaging that says.

How is their stock doing right now?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Identifying a buyer during a pandemic when places are hemorrhaging cash could prove challenging unless it's a fire sale. Things will be looking up by June for sure, but it will be awhile before consumer leisure spending returns to pre-pandemic levels

Cobbold

I didn’t realize skier visit numbers were so low at WildCat and Attatish Those suckers are getting sold. And some others I bet. Vail don’t want or need. I predict June is when they will get sold.
I didn’t realize skier visit numbers were so low at WildCat and Attatish Those suckers are getting sold. And some others I bet. Vail don’t want or need. I predict June is when they will get sold.

Cobbold

Identifying a buyer during a pandemic when places are hemorrhaging cash could prove challenging unless it's a fire sale. Things will be looking up by June for sure, but it will be awhile before consumer leisure spending returns to pre-pandemic levels
vail is not selling wildcat atitash unless they collapse, the new guys collapsed at wildcat atitash, my guess they are moving people their on rotational basis to help out and when the season ends will bring in better gms assuming they survive, based upon the latest press release, vail and every other ski area area in the country is bleeding left and right, will be interesting who makes it.

FBGM

Well....as a publicly traded company they will do what they can to avoid "downsizing" due to the messaging that says.

How is their stock doing right now?
It’s no Tesla but it’s been slow and steady in the right direction since we bottomed out there a year back.

Those skier numbers just make it hard to justify spending heavy there. Especially that 60,000 skier visit one (assuming that’s correct data). That’s got to be the lowest in the portfolio maybe. Some those Midwest bumps might pull more then that due to their location. Wildcat is kinda out there. Not east to get to. Vail bought that all with that Peak buyout. Didn’t really have a choice. I just feel like they could trim some fat now after a year or two with them. I’m sure some super bean counter is all over it so who knows.

FBGM

I also kinda see this from a unique perspective. I was in the ski biz for 10+ years in upper management and was involved in one very large buyout. For the past 4 years my current company in construction we grow from acquisitions. So I’ve been involved in a half dozen or so. And we are not afraid to spit stuff up or cut losses and sell a place. So that’s my mindset behind Vail maybe thinking to cut some places or sell some off if they are not money makers or don’t see a long term future growth.

This is all just speculating and fantasy talk but that’s why we all here.

Cobbold

Skier visits = around 60,000 for Wildcat and 120,000 for Attitash
New England ski resort news history has had atitash getting 200 k skiers in the past and wildcat 150 k skiers in the past, my guess if vail survives this winter and every other ski company survives this year, they Will Upgrade both places to take share from loon, Breton woods, cannon, etc, they have owned the mtns for 18 months and been dealing with COVID for 9 months now. My guess atitash gets renovated first then wildcat, but what do I know.

Smellytele

I also kinda see this from a unique perspective. I was in the ski biz for 10+ years in upper management and was involved in one very large buyout. For the past 4 years my current company in construction we grow from acquisitions. So I’ve been involved in a half dozen or so. And we are not afraid to spit stuff up or cut losses and sell a place. So that’s my mindset behind Vail maybe thinking to cut some places or sell some off if they are not money makers or don’t see a long term future growth.

I am thinking they will wait another year to sell them off.

Cobbold

It’s no Tesla but it’s been slow and steady in the right direction since we bottomed out there a year back.

Those skier numbers just make it hard to justify spending heavy there. Especially that 60,000 skier visit one (assuming that’s correct data). That’s got to be the lowest in the portfolio maybe. Some those Midwest bumps might pull more then that due to their location. Wildcat is kinda out there. Not east to get to. Vail bought that all with that Peak buyout. Didn’t really have a choice. I just feel like they could trim some fat now after a year or two with them. I’m sure some super bean counter is all over it so who knows.

Cobbold

They are not making any more ski resort’s especially in the north east, atitash is a diamond in the rough, assuming vail survives this year, building up atitash will be huge for their business, the greater Boston area is a huge skiers town, no way is vail walking away from that, my guess after this year when vail expands again it will be by snagging feeder mtns in ct, Rhode island, north eastern mass, and eastern New York between nyc and Hunter Mtn. Time will tell, as bad as vail is doing my guess alterra is in a worst position and who knows how bad boyne and powdr is doing.

machski

They are not making any more ski resort’s especially in the north east, atitash is a diamond in the rough, assuming vail survives this year, building up atitash will be huge for their business, the greater Boston area is a huge skiers town, no way is vail walking away from that, my guess after this year when vail expands again it will be by snagging feeder mtns in ct, Rhode island, north eastern mass, and eastern New York between nyc and Hunter Mtn. Time will tell, as bad as vail is doing my guess alterra is in a worst position and who knows how bad boyne and powdr is doing.
If Attitash is a Diamond in the Rough, how do you describe Jay Peak which is already on the market?

drjeff

I think one thing for perspective on numbers, is in the US, only about 3% of the total population are skiers/riders. That's about 10 million people.

That data was directly from the President of the NSAA just a couple of days ago when she was nice enough to answer a couple of ski industry related questions my son needed answered for a paper for his high-school English class he's currently working on.

Vail, with apparently over a million Epic's sold has about 10% of the skiing/riding population in the US on its pass...