• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Mainer

I waited in a half hr line at 1130 on Tuesday for triple. Longest line I’ve been in all year. I don’t ski saturdays. Then it was ski on for rest of day. Triple’s not running full speed either. But skiing was great, pocket beers for the long warm sunny ride. Poached kachina at end of day a bunch for untracked. No jumps at attitash this year kinda sucks though, it’s fun to hit jumps when it’s soft. No yankee must have really pissed off all the families there. The lifty at the top shack of Abenaki asked us if everything was closed at the attitash side because everyone was complaining to him. Get your skiing in now because they are going to close first chance they get.

jimmywilson69

vail lift guy came to Roundtop and shut their Triple that accesses the top of the expert terrain down for the year. Apparently it needs a part that can't be sourced until after the season will be over here. top of expert terrain can be accessed by a short slightly uphill skate.

I'm a little concerned that they've been running it either damaged or missing something before the corporate guy came to town...

Over cautious or overzealous? I would think that with a lift you can't ever be over cautious.

the thing is 37 years old and typically runs in winter and summer to service a zip line course. Its time is nigh...

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

vail lift guy came to Roundtop and shut their Triple that accesses the top of the expert terrain down for the year. Apparently it needs a part that can't be sourced until after the season will be over here. top of expert terrain can be accessed by a short slightly uphill skate.

I'm a little concerned that they've been running it either damaged or missing something before the corporate guy came to town...

Over cautious or overzealous? I would think that with a lift you can't ever be over cautious.

the thing is 37 years old and typically runs in winter and summer to service a zip line course. Its time is nigh...
Good to know as Vail is being coy about how long it will last on RT site. One of 3 real lifts down will make lines pretty bad, but still going there Sat as they look to have about the most rain free afternoon. Hopefully rainy AM will keep crowds down.

icecoast1

What are the tramway laws like in PA? If it was overly egregious, odds are it might not have been certified to run in the first place

jimmywilson69

Apparently crowds were lighter than all season last weekend. Being on the DL I didn't even head up to tailgate with our friends :(

jimmywilson69

What are the tramway laws like in PA? If it was overly egregious, odds are it might not have been certified to run in the first place
no idea I'm not sure we even have a tramway law per se. I think they are governed and inspected by the amusement ride law? I honestly never looked into it. Frankly there might not be a yearly inspection.

thebigo

Friday morning vacation week. Large race on bear, line out of the corral and yankee closed. Everytime you think they may be figuring it out, they reaffirm their incompetence.

Attachments

• 20210226_100633.jpg
    20210226_100633.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 25

deadheadskier

Staff member
Friday morning vacation week. Large race on bear, line out of the corral and yankee closed. Everytime you think they may be figuring it out, they reaffirm their incompetence.
That is absolute bullshit. The Yankee should run every single day of the season that there is enough snow to run it

xlr8r

I think Vail has not operated a lot lifts at former Peak Resorts for maintenance issues. Bobcat took till last couple weeks to open. Kachina and one of the double doubles has not operated at Attitash, Park took til mid season to operate at Crotched. Also Vail shutdown ducking at Sunapee and one of the lifts at Crested Butte when they bought triple peaks. Seems like Vail does have high lift maintenance standards compared to Peaks and Triple Peaks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lack of Yankee most of the season has nothing to do with maintenance and everything to do with Vail being a corporate penny pinching operation that cares more about their shareholders than their customers.

I can't wait to call myself an ex-customer of theirs. The only thing making it slightly unsettling to walk away is my love for Wildcat and Stowe. Other than that, fuck Vail

Katahdin

The whole lift situation at Attitash is complete mess. I feel sorry for the beginners forced to wait in the huge line for the east double-double. The learning center triple has not run since the east double-double opened for the season sometime in January. Only access to the learning center is the halfway unload. Probably a 25 min wait at times to ski 200 feet of vertical. How many of those skiers are never coming back? They can’t open the west double-double, learning center triple, or Katchina triple?

the_awesome

On my way up to WC yesterday they were running the summit triple and Yankee was closed. On my way back the summit was closed and they were running the Yankee...so it wouldn't be maintenance related. They were running both last week for Mass vaykay. It's pretty weak on their part...Yankee is a fun pod to lap mid-week, but it's never open.

jimmywilson69

Good to know as Vail is being coy about how long it will last on RT site. One of 3 real lifts down will make lines pretty bad, but still going there Sat as they look to have about the most rain free afternoon. Hopefully rainy AM will keep crowds down.
I just heard that they have obtained a part from Connecticut and are installing the part today. so in theory the triple will run this weekend.

Mum skier

Does anyone know what Wildcat has been like on Saturdays? Next weekend (first one in March) will be the first “two day weekend” we have had spare for a while so worth going a bit farther. We typically just do Sunapee on Sunday. Sounds like Attitash is chaos, so discounting that. Epic pass resorts and not VT.

thebigo

Does anyone know what Wildcat has been like on Saturdays? Next weekend (first one in March) will be the first “two day weekend” we have had spare for a while so worth going a bit farther. We typically just do Sunapee on Sunday. Sounds like Attitash is chaos, so discounting that. Epic pass resorts and not VT.
In my experience, crowds in the valley evaporate when the calendar flips to March. My experience does not include any covid years but I am confident wildcat will be less crowded than sunapee first weekend of March.

So Inclined

I was at Wildcat last Saturday from about noon on and thought it was pretty good. It took about 10 mins to get through the line at the high speed quad, at least until around 2 when people began to thin out, but I don't think it ever got to literal ski-on. That's not nothing, but for a regular Hunter skier like me it was easy. Likewise the "crowds" on the slopes. Polecat was the busiest run and it was a breeze when you're used to skiing in the equivalent of interstate traffic. As someone else indicated here a couple weeks ago, it felt like virtually everything on the middle of the mountain is yours and yours alone if you want it.
And the cover was still really great - though that might have changed by now. Hope you get a great day.

thebigo

To get an idea of the staffing shortage at attitash. The gm was covering the lifties lunch today and I don't mean sitting in the top shack, he was swinging a broom on every chair to remove the snow.

Mother nature bailed out vail again today, everything that fell in the valley was frozen. Looks close to 4" on my deck, mostly dense snow with a little sleet mixed in, surely more in the notch. Freeze thaw earlier this week left things firm but surfaces should be excellent tomorrow when the fresh is mixed in.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

NY state suck to

Governor finally letting my favorite deli in Middletown more hours unfortunately it to late for so many other business es"
"""🚨🚨🚨NEW HOURS 🚨🚨🚨 Happy to say that were back from 6am-8pm ONLY Thursday’s- Saturday’s !!! Thank you all for your support 🙏🏼!""