• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

MadKitty

What is the over/under on the wildcat quad opening? My guess is Saturday the 18th. Bet they send their 3 EPIC snowmakers to Attitash for the next week

Edd

You mean the sunrise shack on 16? Try out yesterdays in downtown Jackson. Food is better and there is never a line, even on weekends.
I do 🤣. I didn’t go last season due to COVID so apparently forgetting the name. I have never been to Yesterdays somehow. If they serve morning cocktails I’ll give it a whirl.

slatham

Its the little things....

Mt Snow snow stake not cleared. They reported 4" but stake shows more like 7".

Okemo snow report, the "box" that shows new snow, 24 hour, 48 hour etc? It hasn't been updated since November 27th. Snow report also makes no mention of new snow. Given Mt Snow 4", Stratton 3" and Killington 1", I think it snowed at Okemo.

mbedle

Its the little things....

Mt Snow snow stake not cleared. They reported 4" but stake shows more like 7".

Okemo snow report, the "box" that shows new snow, 24 hour, 48 hour etc? It hasn't been updated since November 27th. Snow report also makes no mention of new snow. Given Mt Snow 4", Stratton 3" and Killington 1", I think it snowed at Okemo.
These people of the Walmart of ski resorts. The just updated the website and the written forecast says "Chance of mixed precipitation" and the forecast below that says "heavy snow (2-5 in.) until evening". Plus, the stupid twitter account posted at the exact time they updated the webpage that only the discovery shuttle will be running at 9AM and the rest of the lifts open at 10AM, with a link back to the website that says 5 lifts are with only 3 marked green. Its inconceivable that a company can call themselves one of the best resort operators, yet employe a bunch of monkeys to run their IT department... lol

icecoast1

Everything is now 20% less accurate then it was before!
Even more than that in some cases. Mt Snow used to be pretty good about communication pre-vail. It was pretty easy to go on their website and have an exact idea of what was running and open as well as where snowmaking was going on

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the lack of social media communication is by design. They don't want to get in online arguments with customers that are visible to others.

I think the shit weather reports are just ignorance of how important they are to east coast skiers.

Generally speaking they need more local marketing control

slatham

I listened to Storm King pod cast with Vail VP of Eastern ops. He's new to the east coast, and had lots of corporate-speak answers (yes public company so some he can't answer, like "are you looking at Jay?" But I mean beyond that). It was the least impressive of all the pod casts of owner/operators I've listened to. Nice guy, obviously capable, just in a tough spot with no eastern experience and governed by corporate PR shackles.

cdskier

I listened to Storm King pod cast with Vail VP of Eastern ops. He's new to the east coast, and had lots of corporate-speak answers (yes public company so some he can't answer, like "are you looking at Jay?" But I mean beyond that). It was the least impressive of all the pod casts of owner/operators I've listened to. Nice guy, obviously capable, just in a tough spot with no eastern experience and governed by corporate PR shackles.
I don't have the patience for podcasts. Just did a quick search on Tim and he definitely seems to have no real experience in the east even in terms of having lived here much at any point (unless you count the time he played for the Pittsburgh Steelers). Is he based here in the east? Or based out in Vail corporate HQ? The east is just so different from the west and if he's managing from Vail HQ...then that just further shows how Vail has absolutely no understanding of the eastern market (and has no desire to actually try to understand it).

ThatGuy

The east is just so different from the west and if he's managing from Vail HQ...then that just further shows how Vail has absolutely no understanding of the eastern market (and has no desire to actually try to understand it).
I think Vails understanding of the eastern market is as a place people will fly out west to their other resorts from.

2Planker

I don't have the patience for podcasts. Just did a quick search on Tim and he definitely seems to have no real experience in the east even in terms of having lived here much at any point (unless you count the time he played for the Pittsburgh Steelers). Is he based here in the east? Or based out in Vail corporate HQ? The east is just so different from the west and if he's managing from Vail HQ...then that just further shows how Vail has absolutely no understanding of the eastern market (and has no desire to actually try to understand it).
I heard that Podcast. He was full of Corporate BS. Does not know his ass from his elbow. Prob never skied a day in his life....

Another totally UNqualified Management Level person.....

YES, WC can't even fix a dead groomer w/out getting it approved by Bromfield

jimmywilson69

the thing that makes me so pissed is that it wouldn't really take that much effort or even affect the bottom line so much if they just took a breath and realized that they acquired a completely different market. Sure there are things that you'll want to do corporate wide, but there are also things at the individual mountain level, especially at the non-destination places that can be done differently.

Just goes to show you how little these people not only understand about the east or just running a business in general. I don't think any of this is calculated. Its incompetence!

Edd

the thing that makes me so pissed is that it wouldn't really take that much effort or even affect the bottom line so much if they just took a breath and realized that they acquired a completely different market. Sure there are things that you'll want to do corporate wide, but there are also things at the individual mountain level, especially at the non-destination places that can be done differently.

Just goes to show you how little these people not only understand about the east or just running a business in general. I don't think any of this is calculated. Its incompetence!
I’m unfamiliar with where you usually ski?

jimmywilson69

Ski Roundtop in southcentral PA, 4 miles from home. I mean its great I have a pass I can use up north and out west. But they've done some really stupid things here in PA as well. Pales in comparison to Attitash and Wildcat, but still.