• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

IceEidolon

Well now we get to compare Alterra (well, KSL - Camelback) and Vail's response to the independent operators (recently, Beech and Magic) to chairlift accidents.

I'd prefer to have a lot less data to work with.

PAabe

Vail has been a shitshow in PA today apparently:

Lines for miles to get into whitetail and Jack Frost, and hours long lines guest services and the lifts for WROD

Vail apparently forgot about their youth program scheduled in mornings at Big Boulder, apparently everyone showed up and nobody was there because BB doesn't open until 3pm this year

Worth noting that, as the case elsewhere, Vail's competitors have far more terrain open. Bear Creek for example, father southeast and lower than JFBB, went from 0% to 100% since Thursday. Temperatures below freezing all week and several inches of natural snow here and yet snowmaking equipment has barely been observed running. These Vail areas here are capable of really throwing out massive amounts of snow in weather like this (but they are not)

1641663670_lymrxpnlpdsw.jpg

uvw8yzri0ia81.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkiPA/comments/rz4x03

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nothing to see here folks

Sorry, can't copy the Tweet. Wildcat only tweeted out

The Snowcat Triple is closed for the remainder of the day for maintenance

2Planker

Taking patrollers from Attitash to cover anywhere else boggles my mind.
Total BS Attitash doesn't have enough Patrollers to cover their own Mt.

But I do know quite a few Ex AT/WC Patrollers who might be interested

skibum636

Vail has been a shitshow in PA today apparently:

Lines for miles to get into whitetail and Jack Frost, and hours long lines guest services and the lifts for WROD

Vail apparently forgot about their youth program scheduled in mornings at Big Boulder, apparently everyone showed up and nobody was there because BB doesn't open until 3pm this year

Worth noting that, as the case elsewhere, Vail's competitors have far more terrain open. Bear Creek for example, father southeast and lower than JFBB, went from 0% to 100% since Thursday. Temperatures below freezing all week and several inches of natural snow here and yet snowmaking equipment has barely been observed running. These Vail areas here are capable of really throwing out massive amounts of snow in weather like this (but they are not)

1641663670_lymrxpnlpdsw.jpg

uvw8yzri0ia81.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkiPA/comments/rz4x03
I wonder how many people will buy a pass next year to do this again.

Dickc

Nothing to see here folks

Sorry, can't copy the Tweet. Wildcat only tweeted out

The Snowcat Triple is closed for the remainder of the day for maintenance

Mainer

Rode that chair yesterday. Having a chair at magic and wildcat falling off in the last week or so is nuts. I can’t recall ever hearing of this happening

IceEidolon

Timberline, Blue, and Tussey have all dropped more chairs than that, but in single incidents that hit more chairs at once. Two dropped chairs plus the Beech fountain isn't a great look for sure.

WROD usually means white road of death, a narrow strip of snowmaking surrounded by rocks/grass/dirt/mud.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

As nuts as the base area chairs were at Hunter (after 915 - they were OK earlier), the F chair never had more than an 8 minute line for a single and the North lift was under a minute into the afternoon. I got 13 runs in from 845-1 and only waited in that crazy line once,.after stopping for food/bathroom from 1030-11. That 11 am line was about 25 min for a single so I did not come back to the base tip I was at a stage where I was ready to call it quits if the line was bad.

Makes sense there were huge crowds given what a let down holiday skiing had been, that it had just snowed big in NYC/NJ, and that Sunday is gonna be crappy weather for skiing. This was the day for everyone to come out.