• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

vermont powder?

Snowlover

Leave earlier + snow tires and I get to the mountains just fine. Statistically driving in Boston rush hour traffic is probably more dangerous.
Care to back up that statistic? We are talking per capita chances of a fatality. Your chance of being in a wreck is obviously higher trying to drive 200 miles in a blizzard through cities and then onto back roads in vt than a normal rush hour commute on any single day of driving. Let's just be honest now.

Snowlover

You started a new thread while I was replying to the old one. ;)

My job entails driving all over, all day, every day in all types of weather. I drive in snowstorms all the time in my 2wd Ford Econoline van in the most congested state in the nation. If I worried about what people were going to do to me on the road I'd be a nervous wreck and never drive anywhere. If you start thinking about what MIGHT happen to you then you go nuts. I live my life the best I can and deal with what it throws at me when it happens. :)

I have raced cars, go four wheeling, taken multiple defensive/performance driving courses and have a good snow car and a cell phone. Skiing is a dangerous sport and as a self employed person who works on my feet and uses my hands I probably shouldn't ski or hike or do half the things I do but I do it anyway because life is short and I want to enjoy it. Worrying about what might happen isn't enjoyable. ;)
Sorry, just didn't want to derail the other thread! Hey what ever makes you feel comfortable/happy. I'm not comfortable with that personally though. Stay safe :)

Snowlover

Here's a pic of my Jeep. Judge for yourself it's capable of handing some snow. ;)
Sick jeep! :)
That thing could go through unplowed roads.
BUT, just remember to go slow when you drive in snow because it doesn't stop any faster!

Snowlover

Is that all custom suspension work on it? I can't imagine that being stock

Wavewheeler

I should probably include one of it in the snow. Nice to never have to shovel the driveway. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 93

Snowlover

I should probably include one of it in the snow. Nice to never have to shovel the driveway. :lol:

I would take that thing offroad in the snow. That would be soooo much fun! Head to the tug hill with that thing and find a mellow 4wd trail and have at it!

Wavewheeler

Is that all custom suspension work on it? I can't imagine that being stock

It's not stock. Set up for rock crawling since it had 500 miles on it. I take it out in blizzards for fun. My Jeep club goes snow wheeling all the time in the Poconos and camps out too. It's called the "February Freezeout." :) I love driving it in the snow. I try to get out before the plows get out and ruin things. ;)

Of course I drive slow. Hitting the brakes hard in snow/ice is a death sentence. That's that's the last thing you do.

Attachments

• Winter Feb 2010 119.jpg
    Winter Feb 2010 119.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 89

Snowlover

It's not stock. Set up for rock crawling since it had 500 miles on it. I take it out in blizzards for fun.

Of course I drive slow. Hitting the brakes hard in snow/ice is a death sentence. That's that's the last thing you do.

Well obviously you actually know how to drive in the snow, unlike the people in fake suv's I see spun out /smashed up every storm around here. These people are doing 50mph darting in between lanes on 100% snow covered roads like it's nothing on the highway.

Wavewheeler

BTW, It's not snow that's the biggest problem but ice, specifically black ice. A few years ago at Killington early one morning we were driving the Jeep uphill towards the Snowshed lodge and and it LOOKED like the road was clear. The road was down to asphalt and looked wet. It wasn't, it was iced over. The sun was out but it must have been just below freezing. The road was cleared and plowed. All of a sudden, the Jeep totally swung around and fishtailed. I counter steered and got it straightened out. The guy in the next lane looked worried! :lol: All I remember is how fast my hands were moving on the steering wheel steering one way and then the other as the Jeep fishtailed it's way up the hill.

Sooo....Bright sunny day just below freezing on a freshly plowed and salted road and I lost traction completely. I've never had that happen in snow. So you never know.. ;)

Wavewheeler

Well obviously you actually know how to drive in the snow, unlike the people in fake suv's I see spun out /smashed up every storm around here. These people are doing 50mph darting in between lanes on 100% snow covered roads like it's nothing on the highway.

I know, I deal with that scenario all the time when I'm out working. :( That's why I drive very defensively.

What's ironic is that for all the miles and days that I drive in bad weather, my work truck got hit while it was sitting in the parking lot of my apartment complex. My neighbor drove in and hit it. It was just sitting there. :( I couldn't work for a week while it was being fixed so I went hiking and camping in the Catskills. :thumbup:

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Care to back up that statistic? We are talking per capita chances of a fatality. Your chance of being in a wreck is obviously higher trying to drive 200 miles in a blizzard through cities and then onto back roads in vt than a normal rush hour commute on any single day of driving. Let's just be honest now.

care to back that up with a statistic?

Snowlover

You ask how people do it. But you don't like any of the answers and call them nutcase?
!
lol That's not how he does it anyway. The one who told me that. He doesn't sleep in his car in a blizzard. God some of the people on here.... The ignore list just keeps getting longer and longer.

Snowlover

care to back that up with a statistic?
I don't think they'd have statistics like that. Just use common sense

1)One day driving to work in boston from cambridge
2)One driving from boston to mount snow in a blizzard

Of those 2 days, which is more likely to result in an accident? Now if you choose to take that risk then that is up to you, but the answer is obvious. Am I really having this absurd of an argument. Just let it go. I can't be bothered with these silly debates on the most ridiculous of issues.

Snowlover

BTW, It's not snow that's the biggest problem but ice, specifically black ice. A few years ago at Killington early one morning we were driving the Jeep uphill towards the Snowshed lodge and and it LOOKED like the road was clear. The road was down to asphalt and looked wet. It wasn't, it was iced over. The sun was out but it must have been just below freezing. The road was cleared and plowed. All of a sudden, the Jeep totally swung around and fishtailed. I counter steered and got it straightened out. The guy in the next lane looked worried! :lol: All I remember is how fast my hands were moving on the steering wheel steering one way and then the other as the Jeep fishtailed it's way up the hill.

Sooo....Bright sunny day just below freezing on a freshly plowed and salted road and I lost traction completely. I've never had that happen in snow. So you never know.. ;)
Yeah couldn't agree more. Ice is horrible! Do you have any video's of your jeep in deep snow? I saw these sicks video's of guys in hummers in DEEP snow. Does you jeep have that kind of capability?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think they'd have statistics like that. Just use common sense

1)One day driving to work in boston from cambridge
2)One driving from boston to mount snow in a blizzard

Of those 2 days, which is more likely to result in an accident? Now if you choose to take that risk then that is up to you, but the answer is obvious. Am I really having this absurd of an argument. Just let it go. I can't be bothered with these silly debates on the most ridiculous of issues.

Those statistics most definitely exist; there's a multi-billion dollar industry based on such statistics called Automobile Insurance.

Where are auto insurance rates higher? 300+ inch of snow a year Jay Peak, VT or in Boston?

Where insurance rates are the highest = most dangerous places to operate a vehicle. It's the basis for risk mitigation of the entire auto insurance industry.

Snowlover

Those statistics most definitely exist; there's a multi-billion dollar industry based on such statistics called Automobile Insurance.

Where are auto insurance rates higher? 300+ inch of snow a year Jay Peak, VT or in Boston?

Where insurance rates are the highest = most dangerous places to operate a vehicle. It's the basis for risk mitigation of the entire auto insurance industry.
Jay peak doesn't get 300 inches of snow a year. I've already shown that with numerous climate data sources. You're just going by some stupid claim by a ski area.
Per capita automobile fatalies are higher in rural area's than city. Insurance industry does risk based on the fact that you are more likely to get into a fender bender in a city. That's why insurance rates are higher. Obviously, theft/uninsured motorists and host of other things play into that well.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...facts-cities-safer-rural-areas-injury-deaths/

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810625.pdf

SO, per capita you are more likely to die in a rural area than a city. God, do I keep having to do this? You are arguing absurd positions. you are factually wrong here and I just gave you hard data. But you'll still argue and I'll be called the troll

This little thing we had here is the definition of getting completely proven wrong. Going to argue against nhtsa now? Are we in cahoots together? Consipriacy? How are you going to deflect this?