• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

dblskifanatic

Yup. Flatbread also did not have diminished seating capacity like other places in the valley.

In some cases it has nothing to do with blaming the government or media. I have friends and family members that are total germaphobes and were on the verge of mask wearing before covid hit. Some people are just scared to begin with and made there mind up to be careful. I don't even take a second to think about why these people are that way. They just are.

I am not scared. I wear a mask when I am inside and they ask. I don't were a mask when I don't have to. I am not going to blame anyone or take acceptation to people who chose to do so. why be amazed. Does it help to waste time thinking about it.

You know what I am amazed with. The amount of time that people have to reiterate, regurgitate, point out, examine what other do and don't do. I don't have time for that. I wish more people were like me and we could just discuss skiing on a ski forum. I guess I am done with covid talk. can you tell.

Ok amazed is probably a little strong - I really do not care but I see it and think about it for a brief second. Just feel like the issue is beginning to raise its ugly head and wonder if covid will have its own cycle. What will be the impact on skiing if it does?

abc

So I am amazed by the number of people who are walking alone outside and wearing a mask. I was in a Dunkin Donuts waiting on food and I saw a couple seated wearing masks and talking it off when they took a bite or sip.
Ok amazed is probably a little strong - I really do not care but I see it and think about it for a brief second. Just feel like the issue is beginning to raise its ugly head and wonder if covid will have its own cycle. What will be the impact on skiing if it does?
Amazed, curious, whatever. It's none of my business. Perhaps they, for whatever reason, could not be vaccinated? So they will forever be wearing masks. So what? It has zero negative health effect to others. And possibly even a tiny bit of positive too.

I don't for a moment second guess other people's choice when it doesn't affect me. People want to drink in their own home, smoke weed, wear mask or not, it's their choice. I'm not even going to waste any brain cell to think about it. Am I the least bit curious? Yeah, but only if they feel like discussing with others, I'll entertain them. Other than that, I have zero interest in their choices.

JimG.

Staff member
You know what I am amazed with. The amount of time that people have to reiterate, regurgitate, point out, examine what other do and don't do. I don't have time for that. I wish more people were like me and we could just discuss skiing on a ski forum. I guess I am done with covid talk. can you tell.
Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

dblskifanatic

Amazed, curious, whatever. It's none of my business. Perhaps they, for whatever reason, could not be vaccinated? So they will forever be wearing masks. So what? It has zero negative health effect to others. And possibly even a tiny bit of positive too.

I don't for a moment second guess other people's choice when it doesn't affect me. People want to drink in their own home, smoke weed, wear mask or not, it's their choice. I'm not even going to waste any brain cell to think about it. Am I the least bit curious? Yeah, but only if they feel like discussing with others, I'll entertain them. Other than that, I have zero interest in their choices.

You are right - it is their business and I would never tell anyone otherwise. I wonder about culture shifts - the whys and the hows. Sometimes saying it is none of my business results in changes that I did not want - at work, in communities, in our country.

JimG.

Staff member
You are right - it is their business and I would never tell anyone otherwise. I wonder about culture shifts - the whys and the hows. Sometimes saying it is none of my business results in changes that I did not want - at work, in communities, in our country.
Change is inevitable it's the only thing that never changes.

And it's the one thing people seem to fight more than anything. Go with the flow is my motto.

abc

Sometimes saying it is none of my business results in changes that I did not want - at work, in communities, in our country.
There's a difference between saying it's none of your business when it in fact has impact on you. In that case, you should care.

But in this case, I struggle to find other people wearing mask has ANY undesirable impact on me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
1/2 of them are legitimately afraid & uneducated.
1/2 of them are self-righteous performance artists.
And you, as always, continue to be a 100% stereotyping, judgmental prick. It never changes with you.

Everything is binary, black and white in your world view. Common conservative theme BTW.

I think you are on the right path though with your WFH, rural PA, hermit seeking life. If your in person interactions are half as awkward as what you portray online, social settings must be absolutely miserable for you.

dblskifanatic

There's a difference between saying it's none of your business when it in fact has impact on you. In that case, you should care.

But in this case, I struggle to find other people wearing mask has ANY undesirable impact on me.

Mask wearing may seem small but politicians will leverage it, I would prefer broader outreach and understanding as to why the fear is so amped or why vaccinations are not happening.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mask wearing may seem small but politicians will leverage it, I would prefer broader outreach and understanding as to why the fear is so amped or why vaccinations are not happening.

You don't know each individuals personal situation in regards to still wearing a mask. They could be vaccinated, but be immunocompromised and choose to wear a mask still for that reason. My sister in-law has cancer and does so because her immune system is shot from the chemo. Others can be concerned about their unvaccinated children under the age of 12.

I just don't understand why some people care so much about what others choose to do in exercising their own caution. It has zero impact on your life.

drjeff

You don't know each individuals personal situation in regards to still wearing a mask. They could be vaccinated, but be immunocompromised and choose to wear a mask still for that reason. My sister in-law has cancer and does so because her immune system is shot from the chemo. Others can be concerned about their unvaccinated children under the age of 12.

I just don't understand why some people care so much about what others choose to do in exercising their own caution. It has zero impact on your life.

I agree with what you are saying DHS, I just wish that it was a 2 way street on this as there is certainly some shaming from the mask wearing crew against the non mask wearing crew in some instances, just as there is some shaming from the non mask wearing crew against the mask wearing crew in some cases.

If I see someone say in the grocery store wearing a mask, I don't think twice about it (or their reasoning for doing so - unless of course they're also still wearing gloves!! No those folks I do wonder about a bit ;) ) and I would hope that those mask wearers don't think twice about me not wearing a mask in the grocery store.

Everyone one has the ability (still at least) to make their own decisions about this based on their own situation and personal degree of risk that ther are, or aren't, comfortable with, and for those whose personal risk comfort level is lower than others, there should be some degree to which that/those person(s) who are more risk averse, do take some extra steps of their own doing, rather than just expect, and in some cases almsot demand, that those around them cater to their demands. That I think is the big issue at hand in the topic, how one side handles the difference of opinion of the other side, and in an adult way hopefully

mikec142

I'm still WFH but I anticipate commuting NYC again after Labor Day. I'm fully vaxxed.

That said, I will be giving some thought to wearing a mask while on mass transit. I take a (normally) crowded, 20+ minute ride on the PATH train. Even after Covid (if there ever is an after covid) I will be giving some thought to mask wearing while commuting in the future. Would be nice to go through cold and flu season unscathed. Or allergy season with a better result.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree with what you are saying DHS, I just wish that it was a 2 way street on this as there is certainly some shaming from the mask wearing crew against the non mask wearing crew in some instances, just as there is some shaming from the non mask wearing crew against the mask wearing crew in some cases.

If I see someone say in the grocery store wearing a mask, I don't think twice about it (or their reasoning for doing so - unless of course they're also still wearing gloves!! No those folks I do wonder about a bit ;) ) and I would hope that those mask wearers don't think twice about me not wearing a mask in the grocery store.

Everyone one has the ability (still at least) to make their own decisions about this based on their own situation and personal degree of risk that ther are, or aren't, comfortable with, and for those whose personal risk comfort level is lower than others, there should be some degree to which that/those person(s) who are more risk averse, do take some extra steps of their own doing, rather than just expect, and in some cases almsot demand, that those around them cater to their demands. That I think is the big issue at hand in the topic, how one side handles the difference of opinion of the other side, and in an adult way hopefully

What mask shaming are you experiencing or reading about occurring from those folks still wearing masks against those who are not since the mandates have been lifted?

I don't deny it might be occurring, but the occurrences are miniscule as those folks know they don't have a leg to stand on in public as there is no longer a mandate. They can certainly tell folks to wear a mask in their home or place of business, but nothing beyond that.

They can opine that people should still wear them, but again, there is no mandate. Should one come back in place in the interest of public health, even for those who are vacinated, I have no problem following those guidelines. It's really not that big of a deal. I still have to wear one at work in hospitals and I'm sure you do too as a dentist.

KustyTheKlown

I'm still WFH but I anticipate commuting NYC again after Labor Day. I'm fully vaxxed.

That said, I will be giving some thought to wearing a mask while on mass transit. I take a (normally) crowded, 20+ minute ride on the PATH train. Even after Covid (if there ever is an after covid) I will be giving some thought to mask wearing while commuting in the future. Would be nice to go through cold and flu season unscathed. Or allergy season with a better result.

you are still expected to mask on the path and nyc subway. there is ample signage, and its basic courtesy in a very tightly packed space on the trains. i started riding the subway and the path again in the past month or two. mask compliance during rush hours is near 100%. on the weekends its been more spotty in my experience, but the trains are also less crowded. on pride sunday the trains were just full of drunks. it was hot and the entire city was drunk. no one was masking on the trains or stations.

i work in jersey city so reverse commute against the tide of jersey city residents who work in nyc. there are a lot of asian folks in jersey city. they were masking for months prior to covid being 'real' in america.

Domeskier

Masks are still required in the NYC subway and on Path trains. Most riders comply. I see no reason to stop. The subway is disgusting.

2Planker

you are still expected to mask on the path and nyc subway. there is ample signage, and its basic courtesy in a very tightly packed space on the trains. i started riding the subway and the path again in the past month or two. mask compliance during rush hours is near 100%. on the weekends its been more spotty in my experience, but the trains are also less crowded. on pride sunday the trains were just full of drunks. it was hot and the entire city was drunk. no one was masking on the trains or stations.

i work in jersey city so reverse commute against the tide of jersey city residents who work in nyc. there are a lot of asian folks in jersey city. they were masking for months prior to covid being 'real' in america.
I work in Boston's Chinatown.
People here have been wearing masks for 10+ years, and will continue to do so long after Covid is over.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

And you, as always, continue to be a 100% stereotyping, judgmental prick. It never changes with you.

Everything is binary, black and white in your world view. Common conservative theme BTW.

I think you are on the right path though with your WFH, rural PA, hermit seeking life. If your in person interactions are half as awkward as what you portray online, social settings must be absolutely miserable for you.

^ DHS drinking and posting at night (again).

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

That said, I will be giving some thought to wearing a mask while on mass transit. I take a (normally) crowded, 20+ minute ride on the PATH train.

I would 100% wear a mask if I took the PATH.

The Delta variant's breakthrough ability is unfortunately impressive, and I believe we're going to find out in future studies it's greater than what initial studies are showing, simply from the anecdotal evidence piling up of numerous multiple infection events among fully vaxxed individuals, which simply in an Occam's Razor manner suggest to me that it's statistically more aggressive than we're currently being led to believe. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen enough that I took a lot of money off the table last week as I think the threat of Delta is generally being underappreciated.

Last edited: