• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you do with your poles on the chair?

Savemeasammy

I have no photographic proof, but they go (usually) under my left leg. When I'm with my youngest child, I often hold them so that I can keep them in front of him when the bar goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bvibert

Staff member
2knees was busting my balls about this thread today, but this is very important.....so much so that I decided to take a pic today...lol
attachment.php

Do you always put them under the same leg, or do you alternate?

drjeff

If I'm doing the under the leg thing with my poles (and I do maybe a 1/3rd of the time) which leg they're under depends on if the chair safety bar has a footrest and where the down bar connecting the safety bar to the footrest.

Using Greg's picture, I'd put my poles under my right leg as Greg is there if the down bar was on my right, so that the tips of my poles sticking out wouldn't be in the way of the footrest. If there's not footrest, then I'm very likely to put my poles under my left leg.

Most of the time though, I just leave my pole straps dangling off my wrists, and just let my poles hang freely, unless I need to do something on the lift ride like use my phone/take a picture/clean my goggles, etc

Domeskier

2knees was busting my balls about this thread today, but this is very important.....so much so that I decided to take a pic today...lol
attachment.php

Was this at Sundown yesterday? If so, how were the bumps?

Domeskier

From going back thru this thread it seems like "under Left leg" is preferred about 4 to 1 (which is about the same as the ratio of Right Handers to Left Handers). But do we have a consensus on Baskets Out vs Grips Out?

FTR I'm Left Leg - Baskets Out

You may be on to something. I'm left handed and if I were to sit on my poles, which I don't, I would stuff them under my right leg.

powhunter

If Im with Scottys Aunt Mary Jane I secure them under my ass so my hands are free and less of a chance of dropping my stash on the lift line

drjeff

100% baskets out here! Just the chance that I could impart some "pole tip damage" upon myself as I was sliding them under me is far too great a risk for my taste!! ;-) :eek:

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

Baskets are out always! My baskets are much more uncomfortable to sit on than a grip, and that doesn't even take into thouhht powder baskets.
I don't care which leg. It is dictated by my seat in relation to the bar and if something will hit them.

gmcunni

i was basket out but switched:
cool racers all seem to be basket in
strap got hung up on something once and almost cost me a clean dismount from the chair

Scruffy

Baskets out if under your legs, makes getting them out from under you as you approach the end of lift easier and less likely to snag on the back of chair.

steamboat1

I either hold my poles when riding with others or as is often the case during the week when riding alone lay them down across my lap. I could never understand why some people sit on them.

hammer

I tried doing the sitting thing for a while but it seemed more awkward, and my wife got bothered when I would maneuver to sit on my poles and maneuver to get off the poles at the top. Just hold them now.

VTKilarney

I either hold my poles when riding with others or as is often the case during the week when riding alone lay them down across my lap. I could never understand why some people sit on them.

I agree completely. The only time I sit on my poles is when I need to use both of my hands to change gloves, use my mobile phone, or something like that - and this is rare.

ScottySkis

If Im with Scottys Aunt Mary Jane I secure them under my ass so my hands are free and less of a chance of dropping my stash on the lift line
That's why a vaporizer is awesome no chance of anything falling out a d no playing with a lighter in the winds.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk