• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What has changed since I've been gone?

C-Rex

Burke is now QBurke. :roll:

Jay Peak is now a destination resort.

Skiers and snowboarders get along (for the most part)

Lawsuits are all over the place.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington went from one of the best, to one of the worst, and now back to one of the best mountains in the east.
Off-hill activities are much more common.
Many smaller ski areas have become 4 season resorts. However, many of the big boys still do very little stuff in the warmer months outside of the typical mountain biking and scenic chairlift rides. Don't know why there hasn't been a trickle down (or up?) effect.
Ascutney is long gone.

xlr8r

Liftopia.com - Buy your lift tickets in advance online if you do not have another discount. Prices are base off of demand.

No more American Skiing Company - The evil empire has been broken up and now there is no dominant ski resort company.

bigbog

Yep. New skis do the work for you. Carving turns by using the ski's natural arc radius is more common than the push down the fall line. Stance is also a bit wider than having your boots touch.

Yeah, a couple other things I didn't consider are in the thread! Helmets, and different skis for every type of terrain now.

It's nice to be able to choose between a)riding the natural arc and b)bending the suckers....

Dickc

Feet should be about hip distance apart with shaped skis. Try to run with a 70/30 weighting on the skis. Always nice to have a little grip on the uphill one when you hit that glare ice with the downhill one! Keep your stance looking downhill, and use the pole to initiate a weight shift into a downhill turn. That part has not changed much. What has changed is with the shape, and the newer rockered skis, you try to arc them through turns and ride the edge instead of using them as windshield wipers. That takes practice! Watch someone who is leaving a nice set of railroad tracks on the hill and see if you can emulate what they are doing. Some of the junior racers carve extremely well.

jack97

Tillers..... we are now skiing/riding in an era of repressive overgrooming.

steamboat1

I have gotten back into skiing recently. The last time I went regularly was in the 1990's, and the last time I skied at all was about 2001. I'm embarrassed to say this because I've lived in Vermont since 1997.

I got out for a couple of reasons:
1) Moving to Vermont, I didn't want to be surrounded by people Boston and New York on the weekends.

Stay the F off our hills.

SIKSKIER

What has changed?

Cannon reversed the trend of lost ski areas by reopening Mittersill along with a few others like Crotched.
$10 hamburgers
Total 180 on skiing anywhere within the boundary
Big ass jumps in the terrain parks.I remember getting tickets pulled for getting big air.
Skis bent the wrong way?
Instant access to mt conditions complete with live views thanks to the internet.
And certainly ski related forums like AZ.

Cheers

abc

What changed? Lots!

Though a lot of the changes are subtle and you'll just slowly noticing it.

Precisely due to the change on the gear side, the SKIING part changes quite a bit too. The new skis make just skiing around more fun!

Now we even "carve" our way down the moguls! So old geezer can do bumps without doing a number in our knees! Going backward can be a nice change of pace with the help of twin tip skis. And, since you got kids, they're going to go into the trees. I might want to go with them for a little bit at least. You may find it fun too. Hit the powder days when you get a chance, the new skis make it easier and more fun even for non-powder-experts.

So, without needing to push your scare scale, you can have more variety on snow now.

That's my take anyway.

Last edited: