• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is your estimated cost per lift ticket for 2014/15 ski season?

Puck it

"I have a free season pass." and "I recieved comp tickets last year from Killington, Jiminy Peak, Hunter, Bromley, The Canyons, Snowbird, Powder Mtn, Park City, and Bosquet."
Also believe he works at a ski area.

I think he works in a ski shop.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Cost per lift ticket or cost per ski day?

I don't have a lot of money by any measure. But I ski as much as I can.

When the snow sucks, I ski. And when it looks like it's going to be good I try to get out of work.

Paying for it rarely enters my mind. And for me lift tickets are such a small part of the cost. Most of the rest of it is "fixed cost."

I'm usually completely out of money by April 15 and waiting on that tax refund.

dlague

Cost per lift ticket or cost per ski day?

I don't have a lot of money by any measure. But I ski as much as I can.

When the snow sucks, I ski. And when it looks like it's going to be good I try to get out of work.

Paying for it rarely enters my mind. And for me lift tickets are such a small part of the cost. Most of the rest of it is "fixed cost."

I'm usually completely out of money by April 15 and waiting on that tax refund.

I think it is more like cost per visit since with season passes you do not by lift tickets per se.

and yes - if you travel and spend weekends where you need lodging, food, beverage and more than one tank of gas then the cost of the lift ticket can be minor or even built into accomodations and hard to determine.

catsup948

At Berkshire East, I "volunteer" 2 nights a week teaching lessons for a free pass. When I head up north the max I am ever willing to pay is $40. Last I averaged around $30 for all my trips north.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I think it is more like cost per visit since with season passes you do not by lift tickets per se.

and yes - if you travel and spend weekends where you need lodging, food, beverage and more than one tank of gas then the cost of the lift ticket can be minor or even built into accomodations and hard to determine.

It's even more complicated than that. There's real estate (<LOL) involved, taxes, plowing, wood etc. This is all part of the cost, but there is also some residual value.

I did the math on this several years ago (2008 I think) and the cost ALL IN (gas, tolls, passes, real estate, plowing etc) was around $6600 including two Gore passes. I had 30 ski days and my wife had maybe 15. It was a pretty good deal IMO. I'm sure those costs are up a lot since then.

I won't bother to figure it out again, because no matter the cost I love it so much I'll keep doing it.

abc

Yep!

And just about all of us "travel to ski". It's just how far to travel.

Even when I day trip to the Cats, it's good 3/4 tank of gas! That's sometimes MORE than the lift ticket!

Don't even want to start adding up the cost if it's an overnight trip. The lift ticket price become almost irrelevant!

Time has changed. It wasn't that many years ago when gas was $2 and change. So gas cost never enters the equation. Now with gas cost so high, it's actually more economical to make overnight trips to VT than back and forth to the Cats. Don't get me wrong, it cost more to go north. But with better snow and fast lifts, I get more snow time in for that cost.

Last edited:

Madroch

Upper 20s to low thirties- 25-30 days at local hill with pass- 8-10'in vt- we are looking at a week at Stowe- that is the number that jacked it way up...

BenedictGomez

It wasn't that many years ago when gas was $2 and change. So gas cost never enters the equation. Now with gas cost so high, it's actually more economical to make overnight trips to VT than back and forth to the Cats.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if it gets back to $2 within in 4 or 5 years.

BenedictGomez

It wasn't that many years ago when gas was $2 and change. So gas cost never enters the equation. Now with gas cost so high, it's actually more economical to make overnight trips to VT than back and forth to the Cats.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if it gets back to $2 within in 4 or 5 years.

It's even more complicated than that. There's real estate (<LOL) involved, taxes, plowing, wood etc. This is all part of the cost, but there is also some residual value.

That thing looks positively amazing. You're my hero.

Savemeasammy

This is awesome. I sometimes think it would be great to get a bunch if people in on something like this. N VT would be my area of choice. I would be inclined to build a tight building with a high R value, and utilize some passive solar. Maybe one of these days...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
This is awesome.

Thanks Benedict and Sammy.

Benedict, the real hero is my wife. There a probably a lot of guys who'd love a little ski cabin, but it's not easy finding a girl who will dig it. In some ways this was really her idea.

It was probably a mistake not to go with a higher R value, but at the time, the cost of the windows was daunting. (Now I don't even think you can get single pane windows). From a cost perspective it really doesn't matter as I'm only using maybe $100 or $150 in wood per season. But the time to warm er up is a factor as we often arrive late on Friday and the girls hang out in their coats for a couple hours.

When my wife got pregnant 8 years ago I KNEW we'd be skiing less if I didn't get running water. That was the biggest expense, the only improvement that couldn't be done with a tax refund. We drilled a well, added a septic big enough for a 3 bedroom, ran electric underground and built an built a separate building that functions as a bathroom. That tiny cabin is on a sweet piece of high elevation land that now has a 9000' mtb/nordic trail. For us it's a dream come true.

Last edited:

Tin

It's not that cost, it is the $40-$60 in gas I'll spend every time driving up from RI. Last week with gas at 3.29 my car only took less than $40 to fill. Hope it keeps up.

VTKilarney

NH lost some of its edge when the new gas tax went into effect this summer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
NH lost some of its edge when the new gas tax went into effect this summer.

A little bit. Still considerably cheaper in NH than in VT or ME. It's been 15-20 cents more expensive per gallon each time I've visited VT this summer. Same goes for ME. Areas of MA are comparable in price.

yeggous

A little bit. Still considerably cheaper in NH than in VT or ME. It's been 15-20 cents more expensive per gallon each time I've visited VT this summer. Same goes for ME. Areas of MA are comparable in price.

I'm not in VT or ME very much, but I've had mixed results comparing MA and NH gas prices. I live in Chelmsford, MA and plan my gas stops when driving to or from the White Mountains. Cheap gas can be had in Plymouth and Concord. However, there is none to be found in the Mount Washington Valley. Despite lower gas tax, it costs noticeably more to fill up there than in my area of MA.