• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's up for this weekend???

xwhaler

Whoa! N VT could get crushed!

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Kleetus

Was leaning toward hitting Burke tomorrow and waiting on a N VT trip but now thinking otherwise...big question is will it soften up tomorrow at places like Jay, Stowe, and Smuggs?? Highs at the bases are only around 33-35 which makes me leery that with this rain today may be Icy tomorrow with the lower temps.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Burke is looking pretty good! Temps will drop to about freezing at the base some might be a little firm up top. Temps are rising through the day some what and will remedy itself. Grooming might be tough with the rain soaked snow though! I will take what the mountain gives me!

Kleetus

Allright AlpineZone gang...I normally don't ask this but...Should I make the trek up to Smuggs tomorrow morning and hit Stowe Sunday or hit Burke tomorrow or Sunday and wait on the Smuggs/Stowe trip? I normally wouldn't hesitate to go up with the snow forecast but the uncertainty of the forecast scares me a little bit. Also the uncertainty of whether or not things soften tomorrow also makes me a little hesitant. I have vouchers to all 3 places so just a question of which ones to use this weekend. If I don't hit Burke this weekend definately going next weekend.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Again normally I don't ask this kind of stuff but this crazy forecast is making it difficult to make a decision.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Next weekend is Pond Skimming at Burke. That can be fun to watch and the slopes are fairly empty since everyone is watching the competition.
Drawbacks are that you want to make sure you get there before 10:30 or you may have a hard time finding a parking space. The mid-lodge bar will be PACKED.

xwhaler

Still planning for Sunapee tomorrow. Got my TNF Gore tex jacket ready to go. It may be miserable but it'll be an adventure

Sum1

Struggling to figure out what to do for Sunday too.
I can't drive up to VT tonight, Saturday, and it looks like Sunday morning could be a very difficult drive to Stowe or Sugarbush.
I'm seeing reports of ice pellet precipitation in the morning.
However, if there's good snow overnight tonight and the temps pop up to mid-30's in the morning, then I can't see much icy precip. falling. Then again, change the scene by a few degrees and it could be very different.
Really want to go for it but it seems hit or miss.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sorry to see this so late. Even though you see the "snow" forecast, there is more than likely some rain/sleet/freezing rain mixed in with it. Take a look at a NWS graphical forecast and look at all three. My take would be to ski at the lower elevations for now. We're truly into spring conditions now.

fbrissette

31 degrees and 6 inches of wet snow at Jay Peak. It is currently raining ice pellet.

Edit: after three runs, i have to say it is a pleasant surprise. The snow skis quite well especially in the glades. Nobody at the hill.

Last edited:

xwhaler

Pouring at Sunapee. Getting geared up now to see how soft the snow is

And its soft and nice. More folks here than I'd have expected actually but still nearly every chair empty.
Both summit lifts down all day due to icing up top. We are having fun lapping the north peak triple

Sum1

Sorry to see this so late. Even though you see the "snow" forecast, there is more than likely some rain/sleet/freezing rain mixed in with it. Take a look at a NWS graphical forecast and look at all three.

Hi Billski,
Thanks for the link and the quick lesson re: spring skiing weather summaries. :)
I rolled through Brattleboro at 7:30 am and it was nothing but drizzle at 38 - 39 degrees F.
Not to be deterred, and with Rose-colored glasses firmly in place, I continued on to Chester on the way to Killington.
Drizzling the entire way.
Reality struck -- it's not gonna stop raining, my gear is not Gore-tex, Bear Mountain reported closed, Skyeship gondola and Killington Peak closed as well as of 7:30 am. the Smokin' Bowls soup shack won't be open for hours, and it's way too early to start drinking Long Trail outside a gas station.
Turned the car toward home and felt the brutal dejection of a ski day deferred.
Tough lessons in New England spring skiing.
Oh well, $88 saved for another day, and I'll have to distract myself with the UConn - Michigan State game.