• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where are we going this weekend?

spiderpig

Regarding Killington... A LOT more terrain should/will open up once (if?) things soften up this weekend. There's no way Ovation or Downdraft melted out...more than likely they're glacial as they've been for the past couple weeks. They finally got a groomer up Double Dipper so that re-opened for the first time in weeks. I also wouldn't doubt a couple naturals like Escapade and Old Superstar to be open. Powerline and Ridge Run up on the North Ridge are open and they are naturals.

Of course this is all dependent on things softening up. But base depth should not be an issue.

Given it's the third weekend of April I do not fault Killington for "just" having the K1 and Superstar areas open. That's pretty much typical this time of year. The only thing I wish they were doing differently this spring was re-opening the Snowshed Crossover. That way you could ski Needle's Eye and Vertigo (or at least the top 3/4 of each of them).

They did this. You can ski the top half of those runs.

prsboogie

It seems like I haven't spent enough time over by Carinthia. Those woods look decently-spaced, which is not like most of the woods at Mt. Snow. There's a few sections with nice spacing, but most if it is really tight, IMO.

Originally the plan was Killington Sunday, but with them shutting down so much terrain, we might do somewhere like Okemo or Snow this weekend since they are open and have more open acreage. Then, Killington can be an option next weekend after most of the other players are done. Hmmmmmmmmm
The Ego woods at excellent when they have snow. Nothing like the north face woods

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

graniterider

Mount Snow was great today. Mostly everything was open and softened up by lunch. Not too many bumps though. The worst part of the day was when the Bluebird started having issues around 2... they opened Canyon very briefly to clear out the waiting crowd and then it seemed to be up and running after that. For me, that was my signal to call it a day, I didn't want to spend my last day stuck on a chairlift.

SkiFanE

Saturday was awesome day at SR. Soft bumps all over - limited to Barker and White Heat quad but enough to spread everyone out. Can't believe the coverage for late April - hardly any dirt spots showing - better than midwinter lol. Another one on tap today. Quintessential spring ski weekend - great way to end the season.

Hawk

Sugarbush was awesome yesterday and will be even better today. They even had 100% of Castlerock open with very good coverage even on rumble and lift line. Lift stayed open until 5pm and they had a band on the plaza. Great day. We plan to open for two More weekends with a Cinco de Mayo and Kentucky Derby party for the last weekend.

prsboogie

I don't love either..the NY crowd at Snow is manic. Okemo has too many transitions and not a nice flow to the trails for a boarder. If I HAD to pick, I'd pick Snow. Parking at Okemo is a ^%$#@
I disagree with your assessment of the Mt Snow's crowd, spend a few Saturdays midseason at Stratton and let me know what you think. To the point my wife will never step foot on that mountain again.

I do completely agree with your assessment of Wildcat though [emoji6]

prsboogie

All you needed was a very rudimentary understanding of geography and a calendar. Hint: Look at Jay Peak, Okemo, and Killington.
What does this have anything to do with his post. I think you grabbed the wrong post

VTKilarney

What does this have anything to do with his post. I think you grabbed the wrong post

It had to do with figuring out whether or not the State of Vermont forced Stowe to close because part of the ski area was on state forest lands.

Edd

Pulled into Wildcat at around 11. Too crowded for us. Bailed. Sad about losing the day but happy the Cat is killing it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
What? TOO CROWDED?? What does that mean? Super lift lines?? Ya think next weekend will be good?

LOL ,If you’re mostly a midweek skier (myself included) 15min is painful. That being said midweek options are dwindling.

I would have went across the road and hiked TRT to Sherburne trail. High Avy danger in the Ravine

prsboogie

Maybe the word got out that K was a shitshow and people wanted to avoid it. Saturday was amazballs for sure and will be again next week. They are pushing for the 5th as last weekend.

chuckstah

Is the Cat planning on opening just the 5th, a Saturday, or for the 6th also. If only the 5th I may have to pass for either Jay, Bush or the loaf. I've only heard talk of the 5th?

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

Mount Snow was great today. Great deep coverage, never worried about my ski bases, even in the woods. Skied the front side until 12:30, then North face had softened up and it was amazing. I had never been in Olympic glades and had a great time in there with so may different lines to try. Was very busy today but the singles line on the 6 pack moved along and north face was 5 chairs at the most. Longest wait was at Carinthia around noon. They easily have the snow to make another weekend, and I saw lots of day passes, but I get that its time to move on after already extending a week.

prsboogie

Is the Cat planning on opening just the 5th, a Saturday, or for the 6th also. If only the 5th I may have to pass for either Jay, Bush or the loaf. I've only heard talk of the 5th?

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app
I think it's the weekend but I didn't ask any employees so I wouldn't want to get flamed for telling untruths.

chuckstah

I think it's the weekend but I didn't ask any employees so I wouldn't want to get flamed for telling untruths.

Thanks, I hope they run Sunday. It's my closest option for that weekend, except Killington, but I'd rather save My K vouchers for the following weekend when they will likely be the only game in town