• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who’s blowing?

skiur

A snowblower is a thing. It blows snow.

It's not a snowgun.

Snowguns make snow, snowblowers move snow. If you want to use the wrong word, that's on you - you're welcome to call the snowcats "tractors" and the lifts "cable ways" too.

Get off your high horse, it's always been blowing snow, it always will be, your condescending post isn't necessary.

Los

I am with Newpylong on this one. The folks out on the hill and in the industry take great pride in doing what they do, which also lets us enjoy the sport that we all love.

A simple thing like using the correct terminology, while not a big deal to some, certainly is a little sign of respect to many that are out there on the hill making snow

Los

We’ll, I’m just glad we’re able to disagree without wishing death upon one another. :)

Edit: did I speak too soon??

ThatGuy

There’s a saying about sleeping dogs and letting them lie for a reason...😉

jaytrem

You guys are idiots, everybody knows fan gun blow snow and air guns make snow! Oh wait, maybe that's backwards, ahh whatever, death to all trolls!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
For the record, "snow gun" isn't exactly a 100% accurate term either. They haven't looked like guns in 50 years lol.

Here's a snow GUN
MohawkSnowMaking.jpg

Never change AZ, never change.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
As long as nobody calls it “Artificial Snow”……..
Amen to this. The industry really shot itself in the foot with that term. Artificial snow is the plastic stuff that has been used in various locations over the years.

Machine made snow is real snow made of aerated frozen water. There' nothing artificial about it. Any advanced skier recognizes that natural snow is springier and more fun to ski than machine made, but even natural snow comes in many varieties, some of which are very close to machine-made snow.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
For the record, "snow gun" isn't exactly a 100% accurate term either. They haven't looked like guns in 50 years lol.

Here's a snow GUN
MohawkSnowMaking.jpg

Never change AZ, never change.
Language is funny, where changing times don't change the words we use. For example, in a world of digital time, we still use "clockwise" and "counterclockwise". Atmospheric pressure is measured in mm of mercury, even though barometers no longer use mercury, etc.

I suppose the cannon-style fan guns kind of qualify as a "big gun", but the wands - not so much.

Zand

Wachusett is blowing on Conifer, Ralphs, Challenger, Indian Summer, and Ollies. Not quite cold enough for them to tie Killington for first to open this year but Wachusett may very well have the most acreage in the east this weekend.

Newpylong

Not a shot. Sunday River will likely open up with 4-5 miles by the weekend. There will be others...

Last edited: