• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Pattern Has Arrived - Will it Bring Snow?

Rowsdower

There used to be a hill on Long Island: http://www.nelsap.org/ny/bald.html

Rutgers has an ecological preserve next to the biomedical research campus I work at. There's a stream in a bit of a ravine, as well as an embankment and causeway crossing it for an abandoned railroad grade. I think tomorrow I'm going to hike out and see if I cant get a couple turns in. Gonna have to break out the rock board though.

Given the temps and the state of the roads I don't think I'll be getting to the Poconos until this weekend.

ScottySkis

In NJ it snowing is few inches already on the bus going about 10 mph Port Authority NYC I never seen so packed with people.

Wavewheeler

Storms a bit east for my liking but hey 2-6 in the Pocono's will definitely be welcomed. With the cold the skiing is good right now anyways. (very quick and good recovery from the thaw). Could do with much less here in NNJ.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

This storm is an example of what I DON'T want: A mostly coastal storm that just messed up my entire work week. Do I really need a foot of snow that I have to shovel and deal with when I work? Not to mention the subzero temps..

My work week is shot. This time last week in Vermont I was looking at it pouring rain. Hard to believe I was reduced to jumping for joy when it did snow about an inch or so to whiten the ground.

Now, on the Jersey Shore, it's accumulating 1-2" an hour. There's at least 6" out there and a foot forecast by tomorrow. I'm definitely thinking about heading to Camelback either tomorrow or Thursday, where it looks like they will actually get some a few inches so I can enjoy the nice fluffy powder. Usually around here it snows wet and slushy but this stuff is light and powdery..perfect skiing snow. Too bad it's on the beach!

Wavewheeler

Like they need it. 5M people in gridlock.

A DEVELOPING BAND OF SNOW COVERED PORTIONS OF
ATLANTIC...BURLINGTON...CAMDEN...CAROLINE...CECIL...CUMBERLAND...
GLOUCESTER...KENT...MIDDLESEX...MONMOUTH...NEW
CASTLE...OCEAN...QUEEN ANNE`S...SALEM AND TALBOT COUNTIES AT 1036 AM
EST. THE BAND ITSELF WILL PHYSICALLY MOVE LITTLE.

THE SNOW WILL RAPIDLY DROP VISIBILITIES BELOW LESS THAN ONE MILE
AND UNTREATED ROADWAYS WILL QUICKLY BECOME HAZARDOUS. SNOWFALL RATES
OF AROUND AN INCH PER HOUR ARE LIKELY TO OCCUR. UNNECESSARY
TRAVEL SHOULD BE POSTPONED.

I'm in Monmouth and yes, it took me over an hour to get home. Had to move most of my workday and am now working Sunday. :( Totally sucks and I want this all to be north too!!

Wavewheeler

You put the bug in my ear, now I'm looking to hit Shawnee in the morning.

I'd rather go to Camelback. Will be cold but I've skied cold/windy before. Waiting to see how much falls in the Poconos and if my daughter is onboard for a final decision. She is hoping her class tomorrow is canceled. We are supposed to go next Wed to Camelback but this might be hard to pass up.

Hey BG, remember when I said this would be a KU 10 days ago and you shamed me? Well look at how it turned out;-)

HAHA:grin:

(This Meso band just south of Boston is ripping like hell. 2.5 inches in 1.5 hours)

BenedictGomez

Just when I thought otherwise, it appears the Poconos will get screwed as usual.

Now predicted to only get maybe 1" to 3" more while it pounds snow to the south.

All is right with the world.

1604730_451479104953035_774171695_n.png

Last edited:

Rowsdower

My daughter is at Rutgers in Piscataway. She was stuck on the bus for over an hour trying to get back from class!

They only canceled class at 3pm, and by then the roads were really getting bad. Glad she made it back OK. Right now they're calling for classes to start at 10am. I don't have to teach until Thursday night though, so I should get the day tomorrow off besides popping into lab quick to check up on some things. Looking at Camelback if the roads permit.

And Ben, not sure how the Pokes are getting screwed out of this. They seem to be the only mountain range seriously benefiting. 6-10 at Blue and Camelback will be real nice tomorrow if anyone is braving the wind and roads. The weekend looks like its going to be the best of the year.