• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WST for 3/9-10.....March Lion, march....

JimG.

Staff member
Looks like they've made an unbelievable amount of snow on Superstar this year.

Stupid amounts of snow. SS has piles taller than the lift towers from top to bottom.

Also some huge whales at the bottom of the Snowdon bubble. Some were in fact painted like whales.

drjeff

Looks like they've made an unbelievable amount of snow on Superstar this year.
When I was at Pico last Sunday, I rode up 1 run with one of their Ability Plus Instructors, who's been teaching at K/Pico for 20+ years, and when I asked about how Superstar was looking his reply was that there's more snow than he can ever recall on the upper Headwall and stockpiled at the top....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

mulva

Stupid amounts of snow. SS has piles taller than the lift towers from top to bottom.

Also some huge whales at the bottom of the Snowdon bubble. Some were in fact painted like whales.

Guns firing on Upper Bunny Buster today and...
this at Snowdon base:

snowdenl.jpg

Last edited:

skiur

They have also blown quite a bit of snow on ovation this year which will be nice come May, The plan this year seems to be to blow less snow on the south side of K and put that snow on SS pod. Unless we have a real hot spring June should be no problem this year.

drjeff

Guns firing on Upper Bunny Buster today and...
this at Snowdon base:

View attachment 24724

part of me wonders if this what seems to be extra snow over typical amounts on Snowdon is to allow them to still utilize that side of the resort for a bit if they get the green light for the North Ridge Triple replacement soon and need to strip the snow in that area to get the ground thawing sooner and get the demolition of the current lift going sooner. That would likely necessitate the closing off the of the Northridge Pod earlier than usual, for the relatively limited construction season given that lifts use in October....

skiur

part of me wonders if this what seems to be extra snow over typical amounts on Snowdon is to allow them to still utilize that side of the resort for a bit if they get the green light for the North Ridge Triple replacement soon and need to strip the snow in that area to get the ground thawing sooner and get the demolition of the current lift going sooner. That would likely necessitate the closing off the of the Northridge Pod earlier than usual, for the relatively limited construction season given that lifts use in October....

Not unusual, they have been blowing those whales there for at least the last 3-4 years.

drjeff

Not unusual, they have been blowing those whales there for at least the last 3-4 years.

Thanks for the info on that

And if one looks at the Superstar Webcam on K's webpage, it's crazy how big the top pile looks right now! Looks like it's comfortably above the top of the Superstar's summit terminal!

Zand

Looking like Bush Sunday, Smuggs Monday, and Stowe Tuesday. Staying in Stowe. Sunday looks like it should have it's share of windholds but also a good thumping of snow. Might be quite a bit of Valley House that day. Smuggs seems to be hitting the backend motherlode this year so I'll hope for a good day there Monday. And then hopefully all calmed down for Stowe Tuesday.

Ol Dirty Noodle

Looking like Bush Sunday, Smuggs Monday, and Stowe Tuesday. Staying in Stowe. Sunday looks like it should have it's share of windholds but also a good thumping of snow. Might be quite a bit of Valley House that day. Smuggs seems to be hitting the backend motherlode this year so I'll hope for a good day there Monday. And then hopefully all calmed down for Stowe Tuesday.

Smuggs is always a good time, they’ve been getting fresh snow almost every night

Kleetus

What are folks thoughts on the winds Sunday? Looking pretty nasty with 30-40 sustained South wind at 4K feet with gusts to 60.

Was planning to do Pico Sunday but not sure how they fare in the winds given the northern exposure. My backup plan is Magic if they are on wind hold.

drjeff

What are folks thoughts on the winds Sunday? Looking pretty nasty with 30-40 sustained South wind at 4K feet with gusts to 60.

Was planning to do Pico Sunday but not sure how they fare in the winds given the northern exposure. My backup plan is Magic if they are on wind hold.

Just as a heads up for your Magic possibility for Sunday. Magic is scheduled now (weather permitting) to be hosting a race with probably about 150 kids on Sunday off the Green chair on Showoff. If the Red is on wind hold and the race is on, might end up giving the Green a test about how it handles "crowds"......

Pico will likely be able to run the lower quad with South winds given how it's sheltered. Summit access might be questionable with that forecast

Kleetus

Just as a heads up for your Magic possibility for Sunday. Magic is scheduled now (weather permitting) to be hosting a race with probably about 150 kids on Sunday off the Green chair on Showoff. If the Red is on wind hold and the race is on, might end up giving the Green a test about how it handles "crowds"......

Pico will likely be able to run the lower quad with South winds given how it's sheltered. Summit access might be questionable with that forecast

Thanks for the heads up! If Red is on hold may have to do my backup, backup plan, which is go somewhere that is spinning lifts!

If Pico can't run the summit, may still go as long as outpost is spinning. If that isn't then backup plan it is whatever that may be!

chuckstah

Thanks for the heads up! If Red is on hold may have to do my backup, backup plan, which is go somewhere that is spinning lifts!

If Pico can't run the summit, may still go as long as outpost is spinning. If that isn't then backup plan it is whatever that may be!
If the Pico summit lift is on hold your Pico ticket is valid at K, I believe.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

That moment when you realize this weekend is the back-end of Quebecois school vacation.

screaming-no-gif-6.gif