• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Current Ski Jones Rating

Glenn

It's getting bad.

We had that storm last week and the those TR's from the guys who hiked....Mt. Snow has been blowing snow for awhile now...K-Mart opened this weekend...again, more pics have been posted. I was also at the ski shop over the weekend, so that didn't help.

Glenn

Just got worse! Picked up the new twins from the shop tonight...mounted and ready to rock. Killer deal from evogear.com. Nothing But Troubles with Dynastar Trouble Bindings...which are basically the PX12.

DSC03949Medium.jpg

I only skied the Hot Rods twice last year. Boots are new....Impact 8's.

DSC03950Medium.jpg

Glenn

Thanks! Sorry about the pics...they came out kinda crappy. That's what I get for rushing.

The skis looks pretty cool up close. That green has a somewhat pearl effect to them. I had em mounted a bit back from the center. I would like to ski them out of the park too. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
I had em mounted a bit back from the center. I would like to ski them out of the park too. :lol:

I thought they looked that way, but it's always hard to tell from a pic. What made you go that route? I can totally see going forward from the mark, but back?

bvibert

Staff member
Dynastar Trouble Bindings...which are basically the PX12.

DSC03949Medium.jpg

FYI - Those look more like the Look NX series than the PX series. Nice bindings, my wife has some variation of them on all 4 pairs of her skis. I think they're a bit lighter than the PX version.

NX:
nx12_jib_zm.gif

PX:
cat1427.jpg

I think the toe piece is basically the same, but the heel piece is totally different.

Glenn

I thought they looked that way, but it's always hard to tell from a pic. What made you go that route? I can totally see going forward from the mark, but back?

I wanted them to be able to ski out of the park if needed. I was going to go center...but then the tech called me just to double check. Center isn't "true" center on those skis (or most twins from what I gather). I'm really interested in seeing how they handle. I'm pretty confident I'll be fine. I just didn't want to mount them in way that would make them a bit too turny. Yes, I have another set of skis, but I don't want to swap skis every other run. Only time will tell! I'll be sure to keep you all posted. If I goofed, I'll be the first to admit it.

Glenn

FYI - Those look more like the Look NX series than the PX series. Nice bindings, my wife has some variation of them on all 4 pairs of her skis. I think they're a bit lighter than the PX version.

I think the toe piece is basically the same, but the heel piece is totally different.

I think you're right! I have to get the name straight before posting. :grin:

They are light! I'm amazed at how light the combo is compaired to the Hot Rods. Then again, this is a flat mount vs a system. Still, very light set up!

IIRC, skis are 2007, bindings 2008. The 08 skis had red in em' hence the red on the bindings. I'm actually digging the contrast though. :cool:

Greg

Staff member
I wanted them to be able to ski out of the park if needed. I was going to go center...but then the tech called me just to double check. Center isn't "true" center on those skis (or most twins from what I gather). I'm really interested in seeing how they handle. I'm pretty confident I'll be fine. I just didn't want to mount them in way that would make them a bit too turny. Yes, I have another set of skis, but I don't want to swap skis every other run. Only time will tell! I'll be sure to keep you all posted. If I goofed, I'll be the first to admit it.

I don't know much about those skis. As I understand it, usually, park ski are mounted true center for the real park rats, so if you went back from there, that's a better set up as an all mountain ski. Some skis even have a park and a freeride midsole line. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

loafer89

My current ski jones is a 1 after yesterdays turns at Killington. My whitewater kayaking jones on the other hand is a 10 and it's only been 10 days since we stopped. I spent alot of my spare time this past summer season teaching my son to kayak solo and we paddled quite a bit of whitewater together.

Glenn

I don't know much about those skis. As I understand it, usually, park ski are mounted true center for the real park rats, so if you went back from there, that's a better set up as an all mountain ski. Some skis even have a park and a freeride midsole line. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

It's my first set of twin tips...so I'm learning as well. Those Hot Rods are new too. Let me remind you that prior to the Hot Rods, I was skiing a set of 188 K2 El Caminos circa 1997. Yeah, basically the K2 4 sans the dampner. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's my first set of twin tips...so I'm learning as well. Those Hot Rods are new too. Let me remind you that prior to the Hot Rods, I was skiing a set of 188 K2 El Caminos circa 1997. Yeah, basically the K2 4 sans the dampner. :lol:
Those TTs are pretty close to my Maries. I think I went with the typical midsole mounting point on the skis (after much debate and discussion on here about what I should do) and while I have never taken them into the park, I've been pretty happy with them overall as a general "all-mountain" (as in, as much "all-mountain" as a learning intermediate has attempted) ski. After selling off some stuff, I'm actually only going to have TTs. They're fun and I haven't even used them to their full potential ... YET. Enjoy!

Ski jones is still high. Lack of physical activity is catching up with me, but I've been so bogged down with homework that I haven't had the time anyway. I could use a few turns on the slopes right now.

danny p

Ski jones is still high. Lack of physical activity is catching up with me, but I've been so bogged down with homework that I haven't had the time anyway. I could use a few turns on the slopes right now.

+1 I can totally relate to being bogged down...school 4 nights a week and work 6 days a week...5 weeks left til this semester is over for me!! Looking forward to that month off in between semesters! Ski jones@ a 10 for a month straight now.

Glenn

I appreciate the feedback Carrie! I too went back and forth with what to do. I'm so anxious to test these things out. 8) It's good to hear from someone who has a similar setup.

Geoff

I just got off the hill after a second really nice spring conditions day. My ski Jones number is roughly 0.0000000001

I'd like to ski something with a little more pitch than KMart blue square and 10 turns on Downdraft Headwall but whaddya want for early November.

Glenn

Trying to keep it down and mellow while I heal this nasty s.l.a.p. tear in my shoulder. Went hiking around Hunter yesterday and seeing snow patches didn't help at all!

Still much snow up there from the big storm?

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
I was at the north/south lake trails but saw hunter from the town at breakfast.
there was white on it but far from covered and the katterskill trails only had little patches every once in a while, high up, but when you havent seen it in awhile, it's nice to step on it to hear the crunch, touch it, and throw it at your friend!