• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Season in Review (2015-2016)

jimk

Hanging Valley area at Snowmass, CO.
LL

skiNEwhere in Hanging Valley glades. He roomed with my son and I for several days in Aspen in early Feb. Conditions were superb at that time. I didn't get any better shots of him because I couldn't keep up with him!
LL

My vote for best patrol shack location in America, Aspen Highlands, CO:
LL

Aspen Highlands is the kind of place you just want to stop and stare sometimes.
LL

Apr 1, 2016 was possibly my favorite ski day of the season. This is a morning shot of mid-A friends in Mineral Basin at Snowbird. Snow was perfect, sun was bright, temps just right to keep snow powdery, and a bunch of fun friends from the mid-A were there with me. Thank you Lord for the good times!
LL

ironhippy

Going to spend one week doing the same this coming season and spend at least 3 days at Le Massif.

Also want to do another week up in QC a few days at Le Valinouet (100% natural snow) in the Lac St Jean/Sanguenay region then back to Tremblant to check that out. Mont Comi instead of Valinouet also a possibility.

If you're considering Mont Comi, also take a look at Val D'Irene (Amqui) http://www.valdi.ski/en

It's just a bit south of Comi and have some great terrain (their northside is very steep)

dlague

Hanging Valley area at Snowmass, CO.
LL

skiNEwhere in Hanging Valley glades. He roomed with my son and I for several days in Aspen in early Feb. Conditions were superb at that time. I didn't get any better shots of him because I couldn't keep up with him!
LL

My vote for best patrol shack location in America, Aspen Highlands, CO:
LL

Aspen Highlands is the kind of place you just want to stop and stare sometimes.
LL

Apr 1, 2016 was possibly my favorite ski day of the season. This is a morning shot of mid-A friends in Mineral Basin at Snowbird. Snow was perfect, sun was bright, temps just right to keep snow powdery, and a bunch of fun friends from the mid-A were there with me. Thank you Lord for the good times!
LL

This post and the other are great! I am with you! Those who had the chance to go out west or other places probably have a little bit of a different perspective. In fact, it helps to forget the bad days.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My son dropping into Daly Chutes area at Deer Valley, UT, March:
LL

Gunsight trail at Alta, early April. Gotta hike up a short distance from behind, then you drop into notch in center of this photo. Alta is an especially beautiful spot:
LL

My wife has retired from downhill skiing, but she still likes to accompany me on some of my trips. Here snowshoeing in LCC near Alta.
LL

My son in Olympic Bowl at Aspen Highlands, February; another gorgeous ski area with fabulous terrain.
LL

Empty glades on Canyons side of Park City:
LL

Awesome post and pics! So great meeting you this season JimK. Hope to see you next year!

The Sneak

This season sucked ass. Got half my normal days in.

Best day? April 10th at Stowe. Midwinter conditions and even some pow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaytrem

Very preliminary Quebec plan...

Day/Night

Dartmoth/Gleason
Massif Du Sud/Original
St Anne/Ralais
Massif
Stonham/Castor
Grand Fonds
Edouard
Valinouet/Lac Vert
Adstock
Whaleback

Leaving from Wilmington VT. Advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Brad J

Jim, thanks for sharing the pictures, are you planning to go to Whistler with Epic/ Pugski gathering ??

JimG.

Staff member
If you're considering Mont Comi, also take a look at Val D'Irene (Amqui) http://www.valdi.ski/en

It's just a bit south of Comi and have some great terrain (their northside is very steep)

I have looked at Val D'Irene also thanks. May wind up doing a week trip up that way and another week at MSA/Le Massif. A lot will depend on snow conditions also.

SnowRock

Lower total days versus the season prior which is too be expected considering for 14/15 I was out pre-Thanksgiving and into April.

Did manage to make it to Jackson Hole for the first time, was well timed for a decent snowfall and loved the mountain. Pow day tram line was all that you would expect as well. Got my money's worth out of my mountain collective pass with out of that trip/stowe visits which was nice... locked in to the collective again this year and hope to use it for two trips west.

abc

What season are we talking about?

Oh, the season where non-northeast skiers come to gloat (why can't they gloat over in the western focus forums?)

I spend the majority of my season out west. But that's not by choice. My # of days were only 2/3 of what I should have had. The missing days are all the days I would have skied in the northeast.

So, as good as my season out west were, I'm not in the mood to shove it to the face of those who aren't in position to go out west as much as I could.

Pez

Guys - great pics!

My season was OK, but a definitely downer after last year. I did discover Butternut Basin which did an amazing job of snow-making and getting 100% open. Hit Mt Snow a number of times for only 25 bucks which is always nice.

Highlight would be Mt Snow with a long time friend and his son. Standout day not because of the conditions, which were OK considering, but because of the company i was with. Some seasons that the best you can hope for.

Things could always be worse, so i try not to complain, too much.

jimk

Jim, thanks for sharing the pictures, are you planning to go to Whistler with Epic/ Pugski gathering ??
Hey Brad. Good chance I'll go, perhaps with my son? Won't decide until later. Need to see how some other things line up for next winter. W/B is a bucket list destination for all North Americans and I've never been. The trip "meisters" are a real fun Canadian couple I've known for several years. How about you?

4aprice

Oh, the season where non-northeast skiers come to gloat (why can't they gloat over in the western focus forums?)

I spend the majority of my season out west. But that's not by choice. My # of days were only 2/3 of what I should have had. The missing days are all the days I would have skied in the northeast.

So, as good as my season out west were, I'm not in the mood to shove it to the face of those who aren't in position to go out west as much as I could.

Not sure where you are coming from with this. I don't want to gloat but I do like to share my skiing experiences with others and like to do so through pictures. Yes I have connections out west and get out there when ever I can but I don't mean to shove it in anyone's face. My photography is to show people the wonderful snow and places I've been fortunate enough to travel to. Heck a majority of my days are still spent in the Pocono Mountains for which I get lots of ribbing for but I don't care because its still skiing and that's how I like to spend my winters. BTW in winters such as the one previous to this, I took and posted many pictures of the northeast too. You got 2/3's of your normal days, congrats, I got less then 1/2 of mine. To those who have not been out there I highly recommend you go. It is well worth the effort and expense and will provide you with memories you will never forget.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ. .

ScottySkis

It was a great season to have little money for skiing. Thanks to my friends who got me out the .glad I bought peaks pass I had more fun in late March at Hunter then most if season conditions wise.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dlague

Not sure where you are coming from with this. I don't want to gloat but I do like to share my skiing experiences with others and like to do so through pictures. Yes I have connections out west and get out there when ever I can but I don't mean to shove it in anyone's face. My photography is to show people the wonderful snow and places I've been fortunate enough to travel to. Heck a majority of my days are still spent in the Pocono Mountains for which I get lots of ribbing for but I don't care because its still skiing and that's how I like to spend my winters. BTW in winters such as the one previous to this, I took and posted many pictures of the northeast too. You got 2/3's of your normal days, congrats, I got less then 1/2 of mine. To those who have not been out there I highly recommend you go. It is well worth the effort and expense and will provide you with memories you will never forget.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ. .

I am like you! No gloating intended - thinking is that people might be interested in the experience and not so much pissed that someone is still skiing. The western trip reports mid winter are never an issue.

4aprice

I am like you! No gloating intended - thinking is that people might be interested in the experience and not so much pissed that someone is still skiing. The western trip reports mid winter are never an issue.

OMG I hope the western reports don't stop. Love reading TR's by yourself, Trailboss, Snoseek, et al and love JimK's diaries of his adventures (ah to be retired one of these days). The trip reports are my favorite section of the board west and east.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SkiFanE

To me the Western pics are like looking at Tahiti, Hawaii, Amalfi Coast...yawn. Places I have no hope visiting in the next decade (getting last kid through college loan-free til you're 63 will dull your expectations) so can't even bother looking at. Show me a MRG or SB or SkiThe East type stuff is what gets me wet :). THAT I can drool over. Plus my kids have zero interest in a ski vacation - they'd rather go to a beach place in winter (but we don't do that either). My middle kid asked me the other day why we insist on no college loans, I said the vacation Instead would be funner, but seeing them have a good launch to life is more important to us. We all pick and choose differently. (Plus we never let them forget what martyrs we are for them..hehe..)

so so pics are not rubbing it in, they're just boring :p

thetrailboss

Staff member

As said, that was not the intent of me or others. I also recall that 2014-2015 was EPIC on the east coast and SUCKED for the west. I don't recall any former NE'ers in the west complaining of photos from the east. In fact, I cheered (and returned for a visit).