• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fire on Hunter Mtn

Funky_Catskills

No damage on ski side. The fire seems to be where I hiked last year several miles away from ski resort. Hope the rain today up their puts out the fire.

Hunter Mountain is actually a nice size massif and the ski area isn't even on Hunter Mountain...
Didn't even come close to the ski area... all good...

Not a big deal really... In town people really started tossing bad information around on Facebook..
Causing people to freak the F out when not needed...
People love disasters up here - getting involved by passing information without first checking.. Being part of something...

I have friends in Diamond Notch - they used their yard to land choppers. It was in the next klove over...
We had a raging party there Saturday night with a giant big air bag... Didn't even notice anything happened... :)

There an annual burn ban in the Catskills until the 15th it got extended out to the 21st...
With any luck the burn will allow more hemlocks to grow.. Like this place was before we cut them all down for tanning...

Sadly the Hemlocks won't be back, the wooly adelig is killing the remainders. I try to save them on my property downstate.