• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leaving Skis and Boards on the Ground - WTF

boston_e

It appears as though very few people bother to lock their skis up. Doesn't take a thief but a second to grab a pair of skis and disappear.

If I have a brand new pair I lock them up. I'd guess skis diminish in value pretty quickly. Not much aftermarket value for even 2 or 3 year old skis... let alone 5+ year old skis.

BenedictGomez

If I have a brand new pair I lock them up. I'd guess skis diminish in value pretty quickly. Not much aftermarket value for even 2 or 3 year old skis... let alone 5+ year old skis.

The average low-life that makes a habit out of stealing skis could not tell the difference.

Hell, I'm a skier and I probably (often) couldn't tell the difference, it's not like I memorize top-sheet graphics by year etc....

dlague

I didn't even know anyone used those or what the official name of that product was called

It appears as though very few people bother to lock their skis up. Doesn't take a thief but a second to grab a pair of skis and disappear.

I think there are many who know about this type pf lock but I for one do not bother to lock up skis since i have never had any stolen. I am pretty sure there are many in the same line of thought.

Cannonball

Maybe the root of this "problem" (if it is a problem) is the ski areas not offering enough rack space?

So you figure that these poor folks took their skis off, picked them, carried them to the rack, couldn't find any space, were forced to walk back out onto the snow, place their skis next to each other on the ground, stick their poles in, then walk back to the lodge? I guess they aren't so lazy and self-important after all.

dlague

So you figure that these poor folks took their skis off, picked them, carried them to the rack, couldn't find any space, were forced to walk back out onto the snow, place their skis next to each other on the ground, stick their poles in, then walk back to the lodge? I guess they aren't so lazy and self-important after all.

:beer::beer:

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
attachment.php

624329.jpg

Jersey Skier

I can confirm you two could be more observant. Go by those racks at lunch, and you'll definitely see them in use.

Nah, I only ski midweeks. I see very few people locking their skis at all. Same with Plattekill on weekends. I'm one of the few I ever see with any lock. Blue has a free ski check that gets a lo of use, yet people still leave their skis laying on the snow.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I left my skis on the ground last weekend at Jay. At the Stateside lodge, there is a big hill going up to the Bonnie lift. Rather than putting my skis on the rack and then having to carry them up the hill, I just left them at the top, with many other skis, and walked down.

skiNEwhere

Where is that? If it's that vacant then I don't think you'll be disturbing any "traffic" that's trying to get through while you take a leak

dlague

Wow Sunday looked pretty Busy !

Rack was too full? Or they were too full and these are just the gear for those who are still in the bar after last chair!

Burke was ridiculous at Mid Burke Lodge - racers had their gear spread out such that you HAD to ski/skate around it to get to the lift coming from East Bowl side. Without skis on the ground no skating would be required.

2knees

I just take my skis into the lodge with me while i brown bag it in the cafeteria or bar. F&*k those stupid rules about not bringing them in with me. I'm not letting some punk snowboarder steal my skis.

Savemeasammy

I just take my skis into the lodge with me while i brown bag it in the cafeteria or bar. F&*k those stupid rules about not bringing them in with me. I'm not letting some punk snowboarder steal my skis.

This is a prudent idea. Furthermore, you should bring them up to the bar when you ask the bartender if you can borrow the bottle opener to use on the six pack you brought from home.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app