• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When you go to the ski shop...

Glenn

Do you find yourself spending a lot of time there?

I hit up my local shop today...which thankfully, is only about 5 minutes from the house. :grin: I was dropping off my twin tips to get the bindings mounted. I also dropped off my other skis to have the bindings adjusted for the new boots. No one was in the shop...just me and the employees. 10 minute visit, right? Nope, I was there for 45 minutes. We breezed through the paperwork. Then I had to decide where I wanted the twins mounted...center...back....(went with center), then I had to check out new gear, then we had to look at the webcam from Mount Snow. I went to college with the manager, so he and I always chat it up. He's been up to snow 3 times and I wanted details on conditions. He's good friends with a guy who works there, so we BS'd about the cost of fan guns.

It's so fun to hit up the shop. You're surrounded by nice new ski stuff...and it's really easy to just talk about skiing and boarding. :cool:

Greg

Staff member
I really don't get that excited about ski shop visits for some reason. I only spend time there if I'm getting fitted or something. Rarely will I browse looking at gear or clothing. I pretty much loathe any type of shopping so it's just not a big thing for me.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I wish we had that relationship with a shop. The closest shops are the ones that have given us the most problems, unfortunately. :( The two we've dealt with that are decent are 30 minutes and 45 minutes away. So we don't go there often.

Philpug

No one was there today???? We were booking from open to close. We did over 100 leases and had a fantastic day. I bet your shop doesn't have a pig, thats why.

Glenn

No one was there today???? We were booking from open to close. We did over 100 leases and had a fantastic day. I bet your shop doesn't have a pig, thats why.

It was about 4:00 on a Saturday, so I can see why it wasn't that busy when I rolled in. A few people came in, but they were just browsing. But I did ask them about business and they said it's been great lately.

madskier6

I love to spend time in the ski shop, even if I don't buy anything. Normally, I loathe shopping but not for ski equipment. I realize that it's not fair for me to take up time in the shop if I'm not buying anything so I try to either buy something or not browse too long. But other than that, I love to browse in ski shops checking out the new equipment.

wa-loaf

I'll browse skis to see what some of the new gear looks like up close. Also try on a few coats to see what size fits in case a deal pops up online. ;-)

MrMagic

i work in one part time, i love talking with everyone that comes in with skis and boards about where they ski, have you been there? you should try this place? ect ect. i like talking to the people more than i like doing their ski wor, almost.. I always give mad props and hook-ups to anyone who talks about magic mtn.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The shop guys at the little place in town are pretty down to earth. I've wound up talking to them for hours.

Trekchick

I really don't get that excited about ski shop visits for some reason. I only spend time there if I'm getting fitted or something. Rarely will I browse looking at gear or clothing. I pretty much loathe any type of shopping so it's just not a big thing for me.
Its not about the shopping, its about the relationship and social climate. ;)

Useless without pics! :)

Grassi21

I sometimes pop into the shop at lunch when work is slow. I can talk to those guys for hours. My shop also has a boat dept so I stop in there year round.

Sky

I stop in the shop @ Wa almost every time I'm up there...to glad hand the mgr, his assistants...Andre' who tunes my skis. I like these people. We end up talking about how good the gear is working for me etc.

I don't "clothes shop" in there (or any ski shop) due to the lack of tall sizes. I check out the new skis and occasionally ask about snowbaord gear for my sons.

But I wouldn't walk into some shop to hang around and chat up some stranger-employee.

wa-loaf

But I wouldn't walk into some shop to hang around and chat up some stranger-employee.

Who are you kidding. You know you chat up the ladies at Yankee Candle for hours. ;-)

Warp Daddy

yep i have a great relationship with the mgr of the ski shop at my home mtn-- an old friend . A super nice guy , great skier and also owns a bike shop where we bought our bikes , He WAS just appointed GENERAL MGR-- head honcho i look for great things cause this dude KNOWS CUSTOMER SERVICE and has OUTSTANDING people and MKTING skills

Glenn

Not only is the shop close to home...it's also close to work. I warned the guys that I may start dropping in at lunch just to BS about skiing. Sometimes, I need to get away from the office for a bit. :grin: