• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Want to Ski Alta This Season?

BenedictGomez

I cant wait for Vail Resorts to implode under it's "MTN" of corporate debt, and take these artificially high single day rates to the dustbin of ski history with it.

kingslug

Its like anything else..if its the best..people want it. It makes me think of a cool vehicle thast was cheap and hippies drove around..the Volkswagon Vanagon. Time was you could get a used one for 500 bucks. Now they go for over 30K and pristine ones have sold for 100K...why...they got cool and people are willing to pay for it. Utah has changed so much in 20 years..its getting totaly built up..why..its cool and people want to be there. Where's the last state you saw an entirely new airport built..right next to the old one?

FBGM

Alta has turned into Brooklyn.

“I only ski Alta” is now “I only drink IPAs and shop at Trader Joe’s”

snoseek

141 dollars and a shitshow (covid or not) canyon commute/parking means the juice ain't worth the squeeze to me. Maybe if I was looking to go west on an ikon but I did a one and done winter up there a couple years ago and 3 back in the 90's. Things are still awesome but very very different. There used to be a lottery for the privilege of buying a pass...

abc

Alta has turned into Brooklyn.

“I only ski Alta” is now “I only drink IPAs and shop at Trader Joe’s”
Lump it!

Trader Joe's is cheaper than many of the local grocery stores. So why not?

The hipsters had moved onto all organic straight-from-the-farm coops. Former Brooklynites all decamped upstate (and only after they cashed out their million plus former warehouse).

The "new Alta" is in the BCC canyon.

Do keep up with time.

KustyTheKlown

trader joes is good for some specific items but it is so severely lacking in most other items that i can't really do the bulk of our shopping there. its great for someone who has no ability to cook for themselves who just wants to dump a ready to eat meal from a freezer bag into a pan for 5 minutes. but we like to cook and find the quality of produce, meat, dairy, etc to be much higher at whole foods near us. whole foods also got super competitive for prices after amazon acquired them. the two "independent" (gristede's and c-town) grocery stores near us are more expensive than the whole foods and not as good. we go to a local fish store, bakery, and butcher pretty frequently too. we def don't fuck with the park slope food co-op. they have crazy rules to shop there. shout out to the new-ish Brooklyn wegman's tho.

abc

the two "independent" (gristede's and c-town) grocery stores near us are more expensive than the whole foods and not as good.
That has been my experience having lived in the 'burb too.

Trader Joe's has good quality stuff at reasonable price. But it's too small and don't carry enough varieties. It also annoy the hell out of me when they frequently change suppliers of items.

My best bet is still Costco and BJ's. I used to hate their big packages for my small household of 2. But now with no eating out and no traveling, the big packages turn out to be just the right size!

There's nothing hipster'y with Trader Joe's any more. Whole Food took that away. And now, even WF is "main stream". Nothing to do with hips. Just good produce.

jaytrem

The Pathmark in my old town closed down about 5 years ago, Lidl is going to open up there soon. But who gives a shit, I thought this was a skiing forum? ;-)

As for Alta, haven't been there in about 15 years, and it was too crowded back then. Not to mention it draws a crowd that's kinda douchey.

BenedictGomez

So you think Gore's day ticket rate will be $105 next year?

I'll take that bet.

If not $105 then certainly much higher than $74, meaning a very large increase that would not have happened ex-COVID19. Why do you think it's impossible they wouldnt just leave it at $105 given their financial difficulties & the high rates of surrounding areas?

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Pathmark in my old town closed down about 5 years ago, Lidl is going to open up there soon. But who gives a shit, I thought this was a skiing forum? ;-)

As for Alta, haven't been there in about 15 years, and it was too crowded back then. Not to mention it draws a crowd that's kinda douchey.
The Altatude has increased substantially..... :(

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
If not $105 then certainly much higher than $74, meaning a very large increase that would not have happened ex-COVID19. Why do you think it's impossible they wouldnt just leave it at $105 given their financial difficulties & the high rates of surrounding areas?

Being willing to bet, isn't the same as saying it's impossible.

Do you think it's impossible that it will go back down to... I don't know 78 or 84?

BenedictGomez

Being willing to bet, isn't the same as saying it's impossible.

Do you think it's impossible that it will go back down to... I don't know 78 or 84?

Forced to bet, I'd split the difference. I think there will be a raise from $74, and I think it will higher than the $78 or $84 you think, but I think they'll marginally cut it back for optics reasons so they're not perceived as taking advantage of COVID19 for future year profts. Minimum of $89 is my W.A.G.

KustyTheKlown

re: altatude - one thing my buddies and i noticed last February at alta/bird is that the super heady cool guy ripper local ski bums all have mustaches. specifically mustaches. not beards. mustaches. a mustache is like a sign of being in some fraternity of alta shredders. it got to the point that i cultivated a really awful 10 day mustache during the trip just for shits and giggles. i have a full beard and long hair now, haven't gotten a cut since before that utah trip in feb 2020 actually. my beard sucks. i hate it. its spotty as fuck. beats shaving tho when i don't need to report to an office anymore.