• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Let em learn the hard way. Get what you need at the start of the day. People are way too accommodating to kids these days, they need more tough lessons to get their heads out of their you know what’s.

It's skiing. Not hockey practice, not football practice or whatever.

You want them to walk uphill five miles both ways to and from school in a snowstorm as well?

The tough guy bravado out of some of you surrounding this topic is pretty amusing. And always with the my generation was so much more core adage as well.

Do you wipe your ass with newspaper and make your kids do the same?

I'll say it again, you guys do you.

Others have different priorities and preferences. After working 60-70 hours a week in a high stress environment, I want the easiest, most relaxing time possible when I get to hang with my kids on the weekend. Fidgeting with ski boots and hovering over gravel with frigid fingers ain't that. I'll for certain do it as is necessary, which was the case this season. But it sure as shit ain't my preference.

urungus

I would love it if there were more opportunities to take the bus/train to the ski hill, however, public transport not doing so hot rn due to corona

It seems that Amtrak’s 2 trains that normally go to Vermont (Ethan Allen Express & Vermonter) are currently not running all the way north due to Covid. I would love to take the Vermonter, but it only runs once per day, and the schedule (arrives in VT in the evening, heads back south in the AM) means you need to pay for 2 extra nights of lodging.

PAabe

It seems that Amtrak’s 2 trains that normally go to Vermont (Ethan Allen Express & Vermonter) are currently not running all the way north due to Covid. I would love to take the Vermonter, but it only runs once per day, and the schedule (arrives in VT in the evening, heads back south in the AM) means you need to pay for 2 extra nights of lodging.
Looks like in a normal year going to Killington by train would be pretty feasible if you have lodging lined up. I think for a few years ago Gore had a train - there is a (unused?) train station in North Creek. It would not be a terrible waste of money if you were going solo but not if you would otherwise be able to carpool.

2Planker

Les bought a train for SR in the mid 90's. Went from near Portland up to Bethel then you had to take a shuttle to the Mt from "Bethel Station". I think it only ran for 3-4 years

machski

Les bought a train for SR in the mid 90's. Went from near Portland up to Bethel then you had to take a shuttle to the Mt from "Bethel Station". I think it only ran for 3-4 years
Yup, the "Silver Bullet" sponsored by Coors Light as I recall. They thought they'd sell a lot of those onboard, but within a year or so it was mostly kids headed up for the day, not the adult beverage set. That was also pre Amtrak's Downeaster from Boston. Wonder if that would change the paradigm for the silver bullet concept now??

mikec142

I'm not sure what will be permanent and what will be temporary. I certainly think a lot of the stuff is personal preference. For me, I've always booted up at the car. For a day trip to Windham/Hunter which is 2.5 hours from me. I will wear most of my ski gear including my pants on the ride up. Boot up and finish gearing up at the car and then change in the parking lot/car to something more comfortable (sweats or jeans) for the ride home. When skiing in VT, I do virtually the same except I'll keep the ski gear on and change back at the hotel/house. When leaving VT, I'm changing in the lot for the ride home. For the most part, if I can't carry it in my pockets...I don't need it.

Zand

I’m ok with booting up in the lodge as long as there’s a proper place to store your gear. On or under a table for paying customers is not the place. All day campers shouldn’t be ok either. Imagine if you had a restaurant, would you let paying customers stand to eat their food because a few people are camping out all day? I sure wouldn’t.
It's not a restaurant, it's a ski lodge. And for the record, in 22 years of skiing including being at places like Wachusett, Okemo, Mt Snow, etc on holidays, I have never once had to stand to eat food so cut the bullshit.

The sense of entitlement and selfishness in this thread is fucking mind boggling.

Zand

If it’s that hard to walk a few hundred feet in your boots then you probably shouldn’t still be skiing.
If it's that hard to not be an asshole then you probably shouldn't still be posting. But here you are.

I can't believe someone actually thought it would be a good idea to write that AND click the submit button.

Smellytele

It's not a restaurant, it's a ski lodge. And for the record, in 22 years of skiing including being at places like Wachusett, Okemo, Mt Snow, etc on holidays, I have never once had to stand to eat food so cut the bullshit.

The sense of entitlement and selfishness in this thread is fucking mind boggling.
I agree but who is the selfish one who thinks they can camp out at a table all day?

Looks like in a normal year going to Killington by train would be pretty feasible if you have lodging lined up. I think for a few years ago Gore had a train - there is a (unused?) train station in North Creek. It would not be a terrible waste of money if you were going solo but not if you would otherwise be able to carpool.
Be careful on the Vermonter, from Albany to Rutland it runs on freight tracks and goes about 10MPH.

Zand

I agree but who is the selfish one who thinks they can camp out at a table all day?
When has this ever been a problem in a ski lodge? The real issue is when one group throws all their stuff all over the table and one person sits there and holds the table hostage all day so that the group can come back and use it for 30 minutes at lunch.

One or two non skiers sitting at a table all day, but not holding the rest of the table hostage, have never created any problems in a lodge. If a blanket policy is out in place with a time limit for everyone, what is a non skier supposed to do...sit in the car?

Smellytele

When has this ever been a problem in a ski lodge? The real issue is when one group throws all their stuff all over the table and one person sits there and holds the table hostage all day so that the group can come back and use it for 30 minutes at lunch.

One or two non skiers sitting at a table all day, but not holding the rest of the table hostage, have never created any problems in a lodge. If a blanket policy is out in place with a time limit for everyone, what is a non skier supposed to do...sit in the car?
A lot of places have smaller tables that sit like 6. If 1 person is sitting at it how many people will ask if their family of 4 can sit there. I have asked people before to sit at their tables but have been told “oh my family is coming in soon. Then found another place to sit and finished eating and those people were still sitting alone.

abc

If it's that hard to not be an asshole then you probably shouldn't still be posting. But here you are.

I can't believe someone actually thought it would be a good idea to write that AND click the submit button.
Sadly, the asshole has quite a few companies. Apparently, not only did he think it's a good idea, others agree, and "like" it.

If anyone wonder why the tone of this forum is so often hostile, it's because we have quite a few hostile people posting here.

rebel1916

Sadly, the asshole has quite a few companies. Apparently, not only did he think it's a good idea, others agree, and "like" it.

If anyone wonder why the tone of this forum is so often hostile, it's because we have quite a few hostile people posting here.
I'm a pretty hostile motherfucker, but as long as you can hobble to the lift, I'll scoot over and make room for you.

ceo

Different people have different needs, but I find booting up at the car to be a huge pain in the neck. The solution to the problem of everyone's backpacks and boot bags cluttering up the lodge is to provide a dedicated boot-up and gear storage room, like the Gate House lodge at Sugarbush. It's an insanely good idea that should be the standard everywhere.

Smellytele

I read this whole thread and not once did anyone bring up the obvious fact that this year there was no access to a BAR! Isn't that the main reason for the lodge? (women and booze?) ;) That's what I'm talking bout!
Every ski area I have been to the bar/restaurant has been open. Some you may need reservations for but they have been open.

icecoast1

I read this whole thread and not once did anyone bring up the obvious fact that this year there was no access to a BAR! Isn't that the main reason for the lodge? (women and booze?) ;) That's what I'm talking bout!
I always had access to a bar, but since you had to buy food to get a drink, a 3 or 4 dollar beer turned into a 20 dollar meal so I chose not to partake in that

Status
Not open for further replies.