• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingtime

I initially read that as

I miss riding lifts with whores

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

carry on
Speaking of that, I do miss the occasional beer at a local strip club with some buddies. Seriously, all in all it was a great winter. Hit a lot of resorts I would not normally go to and some of those will now be part of my repeat visit list.

KustyTheKlown

i do not miss riding chair lifts with randoms. i love keeping my music on, smoking my smoke if i want to, and not getting smashed in the head by the bar by overeager safety bar zealots.

drjeff

Haven't gotten sick in about 2 years so far..not even a cold...hmmm.
Probably because me and George Carlin did the same thing growing up...swam in raw sewage and didn't care about the water we drank. Who knows.....

Amazing how that regular practice of hand washing/personal hygiene, and keeping a few extra feet between folks, and arguably wearing a mask (not that everyone wears them properly by any means) makes a difference in the spread of communicable diseases..... ;) :ROFLMAO: :dontknow:

Next thing you know we'll find out that our Mother's were right when they told us that eating more vegetables is good for you and don't touch a hot stove! ;)

abc

Interestingly enough, I've probably had better rides this year on the lifts than usual. A lot of the chairs at Sugarbush are Quads. In a normal year as a single I'd usually end up being paired up with a triple on a quad. 3 people that know each other and 1 outsider means I'm usually left out of many conversations on a lift. This year I've been able to ride the Quad with another single quite a few times and had a lot of good conversations because it is 1 on 1.
Same here!

KustyTheKlown

Probably because me and George Carlin did the same thing growing up...swam in raw sewage and didn't care about the water we drank. Who knows.....

some dude swam the length of the gowanus a couple years ago to make some point about how dirty and disgusting it is.

ewww. just walking over the bridge you can smell the stink.

1616610188729.png

abc

Only 2 years (not getting sick)?

I thought you wouldn’t get sick at all after those tough training of your immune system growing up! ;)

xlr8r

Interestingly enough, I've probably had better rides this year on the lifts than usual. A lot of the chairs at Sugarbush are Quads. In a normal year as a single I'd usually end up being paired up with a triple on a quad. 3 people that know each other and 1 outsider means I'm usually left out of many conversations on a lift. This year I've been able to ride the Quad with another single quite a few times and had a lot of good conversations because it is 1 on 1.
Agreed, while it has been rare to ride up with someone else this season. The times I have ridden with another single has usually led to good conversations. Especially when pairing up with another single without guidance to do so from the lift attendants.

kingslug

Most people get at least 1 cold a year...Nothing so far..not even a sniffle. When I was a kid I used to get strep throat a lot..they pumped me up with so much penicillin..maybe it finaly paid off.
After a trip to Whistler, the whole group got deathly ill. I got it as soon as I got back and it knocked me out for a week..then the medicine they gave me which contained Codien..really knocked me out. Passed out, smashed the counter top, blood everywhere..knocked out another week. I think it was something in the HVAC system of the hotel. That was 4 years ago I think..last time I got that sick.

xlr8r

I think the expanded base area outdoor spaces will be here to stay. Increase in deck/patio space, outdoor seating, and takeout food windows have been nice enhancements to base lodges this season. They might not be used much during cold mid winter days going forward, but it has been great to sit and eat/drink outside these past couple weeks in warm weather.

Teleskier

Same experience here. A rare upside example from COVID with all its otherwise dangers... these chair conversations have been fun... better than usual... and for me it was the most in-person social contact I've had all year... seemed like it was for others too. Everyone seemed eager to talk and share.

Teleskier

Most people get at least 1 cold a year...Nothing so far..not even a sniffle. When I was a kid I used to get strep throat a lot..they pumped me up with so much penicillin..maybe it finaly paid off.
After a trip to Whistler, the whole group got deathly ill. I got it as soon as I got back and it knocked me out for a week..then the medicine they gave me which contained Codien..really knocked me out. Passed out, smashed the counter top, blood everywhere..knocked out another week. I think it was something in the HVAC system of the hotel. That was 4 years ago I think..last time I got that sick.

I hardly ever get colds at home. However like your experience, the three worst colds I've had all came after flying for ski trips out west, including Whistler as well.

COVID gives me the excuse to wear a mask on a plane (haven't flown since pandemic and no plans yet) however I'm likely to wear a mask on my next ski trip flights... risking getting odd looks or not. I wonder if we all have adopted the ever-present "OK for X percent of people wearing face masks in public" like Asia has had for years. Masks work, washing hands works. I always wiped my tray table even before pandemic. Aerosols matter.

drjeff

i do not miss riding chair lifts with randoms.

On back to back rides up the Canyon Quad at Mount Snow last Saturday I 1st got paired up with a local who's family owns a local farm and were actively in the annual sugaring process and he was talking about all that goes into the maple sugaring process from tree to finished product. That was interesting.

Then the next ride was with the guy I mentioned earlier in this thread and his accounts of his very serious experiences he had with COVID about a year ago and his return to health - that was interesting as well

Then my 15yr old high school sophomore son, got paired up on the Bluebird with 2 college aged sophomore women, who thought that my son (he's about 6 feet tall currently) was also a college sophomore and started chatting him up..... He definitely thought that was a fun random pairing on a lift ride! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I do appreciate solo chair rides at times for sure. However the conversations one can have and people you can meet on a chair at times can be quite fun and interesting if one is feeling sociable!

kingslug

As a fan of sci fi books I remember reading a series (not sure of the name now) where a segment of the population resided in self supporting Hermetic machines...sci fi tends to foreshadow such things somewhat accurately. I hope I'm not around for that.
But I think mask wearing is here to stay..Covid certainly is.

Smellytele

I hardly ever get colds at home. However like your experience, the three worst colds I've had all came after flying for ski trips out west, including Whistler as well.

COVID gives me the excuse to wear a mask on a plane (haven't flown since pandemic and no plans yet) however I'm likely to wear a mask on my next ski trip flights... risking getting odd looks or not. I wonder if we all have adopted the ever-present "OK for X percent of people wearing face masks in public" like Asia has had for years. Masks work, washing hands works. I always wiped my tray table even before pandemic. Aerosols matter.
Masks Didn’t work so well in wuhan

Status
Not open for further replies.