• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiur

In the long run masks and social distancing may make people worse off. Our immune system needs to have contact with germs to work properly. We aren't born with the ability to fight sickness, we need to be exposed to it to build up the ability to fight it. This currently is not happening.

mbedle

In the long run masks and social distancing may make people worse off. Our immune system needs to have contact with germs to work properly. We aren't born with the ability to fight sickness, we need to be exposed to it to build up the ability to fight it. This currently is not happening.
Actually, yes we are born with the ability to fight a lot of germs, but not all. Hence the vaccinations.

Edit - But I do agree with the need to continue to be exposed to different viruses and germs thought out life is a good thing to keep a healthy immune system.

boston_e

Depends on what you mean by "mask". Is it REQUIRED? I doubt it. I'm willing to bet it will NOT be required by end of this year. Probably a lot sooner than that.

But if by "masks are permanent", you mean some people will be wearing masks, and people will not give them a second look. As opposed to viewing the masked people as weirdos as it were the case pre-pandemic. Then I'd HOPE that will become the case "permanently"!

I agree with this. I would guess we will see plenty of people in masks on planes, public transport etc etc for a while and nobody will think twice about it.

boston_e

the events, entertainment, travel, and fun industries are going to fucking BOOM. roaring 20s style.

It will be interesting to see. It may boom, or are there enough people whose habits have permanently changed? I know for my family, we used to go out to eat a lot, and after a year of not doing it, I can't say I miss it all that much... once things go back to "normal" I'm sure we will still go out to eat on occasion, but this experience has definitely made us realize how much we used to spend on going out so our wallet is a lot happier, and how much healthier we have been eating, so our waistline is happier too.

Same thing for us with concerts and sporting events. We used to go quite frequently, but realizing we are not missing all that much $600 days for the family to go to Fenway Park.

rebel1916

It will be interesting to see. It may boom, or are there enough people whose habits have permanently changed? I know for my family, we used to go out to eat a lot, and after a year of not doing it, I can't say I miss it all that much... once things go back to "normal" I'm sure we will still go out to eat on occasion, but this experience has definitely made us realize how much we used to spend on going out so our wallet is a lot happier, and how much healthier we have been eating, so our waistline is happier too.

Same thing for us with concerts and sporting events. We used to go quite frequently, but realizing we are not missing all that much $600 days for the family to go to Fenway Park.
Look at skiing this year. The first arena or amphitheater concert, the first ballgame etc are gonna sell out in minutes.

KustyTheKlown

ya, and look at the shitshow in Miami. some people will change behavior but the vast majority are itching to go out and do shit.

cdskier

Going out to eat for a relaxing meal in a nice restaurant is one of the things I miss the most.

boston_e

Going out to eat for a relaxing meal in a nice restaurant is one of the things I miss the most.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it as well, but at least for us the experience of the past year and seeing how much money we saved and how much healthier we are eating will likely result is us going out to each a lot less than pre-pandemic life.

abc

Actually, yes we are born with the ability to fight a lot of germs, but not all. Hence the vaccinations.
Actually... we're born with the ability to fight almost all of the gems. The key being a "fight". Some of us win the fight, some of us lose.

Vaccination however, improve our odds of winning the fight. It's like putting on armors when going to a fight. Do you want to wear armor? Or do you want to be "tough" and go without?

drjeff

One permanent change is overcrowding at SOME Vail resorts. Its clear that is here to stay.
Fixed it for you ;)

As there were certainly some of the Vail Resorts that were crowded before COVID, crowded this season, and likely will be crowded for years to come

cdskier

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it as well, but at least for us the experience of the past year and seeing how much money we saved and how much healthier we are eating will likely result is us going out to each a lot less than pre-pandemic life.

I don't really think for me it was that much difference in money or healthier eating. I've always cooked/eaten at home quite a bit and think it is relatively healthy most of the time. Pre-pandemic I was typically going out to eat maybe once a week or so. During the pandemic I was still getting takeout from at least some of those same restaurants once a week or so. Costs shouldn't have been that different in that case for me (although one important caveat...NJ has a high number of BYOB restaurants so I'm rarely paying for alcohol at restaurants in NJ when I go out).

raisingarizona

Actually... we're born with the ability to fight almost all of the gems. The key being a "fight". Some of us win the fight, some of us lose.

Vaccination however, improve our odds of winning the fight. It's like putting on armors when going to a fight. Do you want to wear armor? Or do you want to be "tough" and go without?
This is that bullying that’s going to make a lot of people say no, f your vaccine.

abc

This is one case where the "public good" takes 2nd seat to Darwinism. Either way we win.

The vaccinated don't get sick. The unvaccinated do. But those who survive the infection, they are immune just like those vaccinated. Only the weak AND STUPID, who choose not to vaccinate, and lose the fight, got eliminated.

I don't feel sorry for them. I sympathize those who didn't get a chance to get vaccinated. But I can't sympathize those who refuse to get vaccinated. I just can't.

cdskier

I miss riding lifts with whoever.

Interestingly enough, I've probably had better rides this year on the lifts than usual. A lot of the chairs at Sugarbush are Quads. In a normal year as a single I'd usually end up being paired up with a triple on a quad. 3 people that know each other and 1 outsider means I'm usually left out of many conversations on a lift. This year I've been able to ride the Quad with another single quite a few times and had a lot of good conversations because it is 1 on 1.

dblskifanatic

T
Interestingly enough, I've probably had better rides this year on the lifts than usual. A lot of the chairs at Sugarbush are Quads. In a normal year as a single I'd usually end up being paired up with a triple on a quad. 3 people that know each other and 1 outsider means I'm usually left out of many conversations on a lift. This year I've been able to ride the Quad with another single quite a few times and had a lot of good conversations because it is 1 on 1.
That will go back to normal next season!

Status
Not open for further replies.