• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjeff

I know some people that have health issues and they are traumatized and do not dare to leave their home fearing that there could be something else out there that is bad, while my wife and I are on the opposite spectrum.
I rode up Canyon Quad at Mount Snow Saturday with a guy from the NYC area who will have his 1yr anniversary of his Covid diagnosis. He told me that he got really sick, almost 6 weeks in the ICU, his family was told on multiple occasions that he may not make it to the next morning. His business was closed for over 6 months with his 20 or so employees furloughed, and half are now back. Took him over 6 months until he felt "mostly normal" again. He said that he did have an underlying condition that played into it (he didn't specify what that was), and I'd estimate him to be in his late 50's.

He said that for sure the disease is a big deal for some. He also said that he is absolutely disgusted with how COVID has been overly politicized and blown out of proportion for so many needlessly by the media.

It was a very interesting getting to randomly share a chair with him on a beautiful early Spring day on the slopes

jimk

Yeah my recent 3 weeks in UT and all the quad chair rides I shared with one other single was my most social interaction with strangers in a year. It was my impression that the typical Utahn was much less alarmed about covid than my typical senior acquaintances back east. Many seemed to be not really anti-vax, but somewhat apathetic about the vax. I often get an earful about politics on lift rides when people find out I'm from DC area, whether they are conservative or liberal. So glad 2020 is behind us.
My wife is still not ready to fly even though she's had both doses of pfizer. Hence, we're back in the car for the return trip west in a few days.

abc

My wife is still not ready to fly even though she's had both doses of pfizer.
I'm not ready to fly either.

But it's got nothing to do with catching Covid. I just hate wearing mask for long period of time. The longest I've worn it is for an hour, getting my shoulder PT. I just felt like I can't breath freely and pretty uncomfortable. I don't think I'll get used to it at all. Though I don't mind wearing it to grocery shop, to doctor's office, etc. Those are only 1/2 hr or less. Wearing mask on a cross country flight for several hours is very unappealing to me.

(when skiing, I only pull it over my nose when I enter the lift correl. Once I unload from the chair, I pull it down. Again, less than 1/2 hr each time)

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

But it's got nothing to do with catching Covid. I just hate wearing mask for long period of time.

(when skiing, I only pull it over my nose when I enter the lift correl. Once I unload from the chair, I pull it down. Again, less than 1/2 hr each time)

that is how I have felt for a while. I'll be putting it to the test next week when I fly to Florida to see my son for Easter. A dentist friend is giving the wife and I N95 masks to wear.

Sat on the plane with a mask..no big deal. At least Utah isn't that long a trip. Needed to get the hell out of here for a while.

I am hoping this is the case, because I too need to get out of here...

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I favor opening optional indoor activities only once vaccines are available to all who want them and then only to those who have gotten them. It will incentivize the reluctant to get them, and keep both those who have gotten them and those who have not gotten them safer.

snoseek

I'm not wearing a fucking mask for 12 hour shifts in the hot kitchen this summer I'm done with all that and im not alone...but hey I got me an appointment in a few weeks so I guess it doesn't really matter. Pump us full of it and open it up.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm not wearing a fucking mask for 12 hour shifts in the hot kitchen this summer I'm done with all that and im not alone...but hey I got me an appointment in a few weeks so I guess it doesn't really matter. Pump us full of it and open it up.

My season starts in a month... I've already been warned we're gonna be stupid busy. We're literally going to be doing 2 seasons worth of weddings in one season. We do a 70/30 split of outdoor/indoor venues and max out at about 200 people so for most events the restrictions are already moot or should be a non-issue with the next rollback. I work 50/50 inside/outside but any time it's above 60 degrees outside you're sweating in this industry as you well know.

Truthfully I'm somewhat excited for what this year will bring to the hospitality industry. Last year we did maybe a dozen events and felt grateful for each one. Now I'm ready for 100 events to actually make some money!

snoseek

My season starts in a month... I've already been warned we're gonna be stupid busy. We're literally going to be doing 2 seasons worth of weddings in one season. We do a 70/30 split of outdoor/indoor venues and max out at about 200 people so for most events the restrictions are already moot or should be a non-issue with the next rollback. I work 50/50 inside/outside but any time it's above 60 degrees outside you're sweating in this industry as you well know.

Truthfully I'm somewhat excited for what this year will bring to the hospitality industry. Last year we did maybe a dozen events and felt grateful for each one. Now I'm ready for 100 events to actually make some money!
As soon as I get that shot I'm making a move because I know we wont get the help we need to get through this summer. I just dont have it in me for another string of 80 hour work weeks. Last summer was the absolute worst could not find help because of that sweet sweet unemployment. I think I'm gonna take a little time off from this industry. I'll be back lol

KustyTheKlown

the events, entertainment, travel, and fun industries are going to fucking BOOM. roaring 20s style.

icecoast1

Well that's the way it should be, but the "experts" dont seem to think that can happen

abc

Let's face it, masks are permanent so get used to it.

Once COVID is passe it'll be some other germ.
Sadly I agree. Every Cold/Flu season....
Depends on what you mean by "mask". Is it REQUIRED? I doubt it. I'm willing to bet it will NOT be required by end of this year. Probably a lot sooner than that.

But if by "masks are permanent", you mean some people will be wearing masks, and people will not give them a second look. As opposed to viewing the masked people as weirdos as it were the case pre-pandemic. Then I'd HOPE that will become the case "permanently"!

snoseek

I'll probably wear a mask when I fly going forward actually.

I'm not anti mask by any means just ranting about the work thing because it gets insufferable and given the environment accomplishes very little. I'm not face to face with customers

PAabe

can't see masks being permanent other than people who know they are sick. I don't have a problem with wearing them right now and I wear one all day at work but it doesn't change the fact that they are creepy and unpleasant and hinder communication. I sure hope we can stop wearing them soon permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.