• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teleskier

Ever see The Andromeda Strain..pretty much Wuhan in the beginning...
Impactful movie! That movie - like quite a number of other sci-fi and drama films from the 1970's - has stuck deep in my memory all these years and likely inform my POV in ways I'm not even aware of. I saw them on re-runs/etc but while young... is that why they stuck with me, or did they just make more intellectually thought-provoking movies back then? Likely both.

abc

I hardly ever get colds at home. However like your experience, the three worst colds I've had all came after flying for ski trips out west, including Whistler as well.

COVID gives me the excuse to wear a mask on a plane (haven't flown since pandemic and no plans yet) however I'm likely to wear a mask on my next ski trip flights... risking getting odd looks or not. I wonder if we all have adopted the ever-present "OK for X percent of people wearing face masks in public" like Asia has had for years. Masks work, washing hands works. I always wiped my tray table even before pandemic. Aerosols matter.
I got a really nasty cold/flu once from flying. Knocked me out for 1 week. Then moving like a zombie for a whole month in a bit of a "fog".

But I probably got a lot more cold/flu from my daily commute! So, if it's "in fashion", I really would prefer to wear a mask on the subway/bus. I'd fly maksless before I ride the subway/bus maskless.

JimG.

Staff member
As a fan of sci fi books I remember reading a series (not sure of the name now) where a segment of the population resided in self supporting Hermetic machines...sci fi tends to foreshadow such things somewhat accurately. I hope I'm not around for that.
But I think mask wearing is here to stay..Covid certainly is.
Oregon is considering making mask wearing permanent.

And one of the pharmacartel CEO's has come out and said that COVID vaccination will be a yearly or semiannual ritual.

Time to buy some narcostocks!

KustyTheKlown

we (gf and i) were quite sick in late march, early april. being subway riders until mid-march, we were sure we had the covid. she had a deep cough. it was all so new, i was silently freaking out that my girlfriend was going to fucking die. she sounded terrible. i had a headache, constantly, for almost 2 weeks. we thought for sure we had covid. at that time, it was not possible to get tested. multiple subsequent antibody tests say nope. weird stuff. other than that, we haven't been sick with cold/flu at all. just typical migraines and allergies that i always deal with.

abc

Oregon is considering making mask wearing permanent.
It'll be received as well as the VT second home rental bill: DIA!

And one of the pharmacartel CEO's has come out and said that COVID vaccination will be a yearly or semiannual ritual.
That's possible. Just like flu vaccines. Probably only "recommended" for seniors.

Fast forward a few years, the young and healthy ones will either get the initial vaccine, or get mild infection. They will become somewhat immune to all the new variants. Just like flu, which kills a fair number of seniors too.

JimG.

Staff member
It'll be received as well as the VT second home rental bill: DIA!

That's possible. Just like flu vaccines. Probably only "recommended" for seniors.

Fast forward a few years, the young and healthy ones will either get the initial vaccine, or get mild infection. They will become somewhat immune to all the new variants. Just like flu, which kills a fair number of seniors too.
Getting back to kingslug's point, then you also agree that COVID is here to stay.

kingslug

I think not taking metro north or subways has had a major impact on catching something..That and my building which normaly has 1000 people in it..now about 10.
I may never ride these trains again..I can drive anywhere and since drinking is no longer an issue..no worries there.

KustyTheKlown

ya, its bizarre that i havent rode the subway in a full year. having a car has been so nice during covid. my girlfriend still takes the A train to get to physical therapy in manhattan. she says its pretty sketchy these days.

KustyTheKlown

yea, its the shadiest line in my opinion. my luck has been fine, but my gf was privy to a stabbing, and someone pulling a gun to threaten someone else with, in separate incidents, both pre-covid. now she says the train is just sort of desolate and there's a good chance you get on a car alone with an unstable character. not good. and we ride the train from high street brooklyn bridge one stop to fulton street. one bougie area to one major transit hub. the ends of the A train line are probably straight up scary.

Killingtime

ya, its bizarre that i havent rode the subway in a full year. having a car has been so nice during covid. my girlfriend still takes the A train to get to physical therapy in manhattan. she says its pretty sketchy these days.
Same with LIRR. Had to go to 35th & 5th a few months ago to get something from my office and Penn Station was definitely loaded with all kinds of sketchy characters. Lots of storefronts empty. Definitely had that post-apocalyptic feeling. Heard its getting better but I have zero desire to take a train into NYC again.

JimG.

Staff member
Same with LIRR. Had to go to 35th & 5th a few months ago to get something from my office and Penn Station was definitely loaded with all kinds of sketchy characters. Lots of storefronts empty. Definitely had that post-apocalyptic feeling. Heard its getting better but I have zero desire to take a train into NYC again.
Soon it will be the real world equivalent of "Escape From New York".

Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken one of my favorite action heroes ever!

abc

I'll let you know after Monday. I'm taking the train into the city.

Yes, first time since the pandemic.

(My Mom had used the subway recently. Didn't report any creepiness or being scared)

abc

Getting back to kingslug's point, then you also agree that COVID is here to stay.
Totally! No doubt about it. There's no putting that genie back into the bottle.

Or you could ask Dr. Fauci. Even he say it's here to stay, who am I to think otherwise? Or, who is stupid enough to WISH otherwise?

But people will have immunity. So it won't be scary like a year ago.

Domeskier

What do you mean "didn't work well"?

How do you know how it might have been without mask? How much worse it might have been?
I would further add that mask wearing in Asia pre-pandemic was hardly universal and had more to do with air pollution and, in many cases, avoiding the sun. I was in multiple Asian countries last January when reports of the outbreak started and, even then, I did not notice an up-tick in people wearing masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.