• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Strict Ski Patrol at Jay Peak

dblskifanatic

I do not know the context of this whole story and not sure if it is told accurately but was on FB and this was posted there today - I will leave it like that but did seem harsh.

Today was a bad day unfortunately. Two of my friends and I decided to go to Jay Peak today which is not the mountain to be on this spring. The customer service rep when I was activating my pass was curt and rude. I get it though, lots of people and it's been a long season. After my pass was activated we took 4 runs. One up the bonnie, one on the taxi, one on the flyer and finally one on the jet. Now my friend who I was skiing with is a racer and went too fast on the straight long trail. There are signs that said no straight lining which I failed to see along with him. This is his fault and he did not try and hide the fact. However, upon our second ascension on the Jet we were stopped at the top by a patroller named Jeff. He wouldn't say his last name. He said that there was no straight lining the jet and that my friend was going too fast.
You know what Jeff, you were probably right. He did need to slow down. Jeff told us all to slow down despite the fact that me and our second friend were making nice turns the whole way and finished our runs after our hot headed buddy. Next he asked for our passes. Odd request, but hey, we are 23 years old and borrow passes all the time. So we give them to him expecting everything to check out but we were mistaken again. Jeff told us that we were done skiing for the day because of the speed violation. Again, only one guy was going too fast. A simple "slow down" would have worked. We, after all, are understanding people. But no, pulled all three of our passes on the spot. When we reached the bottom of what was our last run and sought out someone who could fix this problem.
To the head patroller, I get it. I'm sorry I got mad but you were in the wrong and you know it. We got no warning. We got no "slow down." Just three pulled passes for one guy straight lining the second half of a run. Which, the guilty by affiliation thing is a little suspect to me. That said, please if you are skiing Jay Peak be cautious that you don't go too fast as every person on the patrol squad is really afraid of this. Furthermore, based on the discussion I had with the patrollers there has been a real problem with people falling and getting hurt because people are going too fast. Now, I don't know how they prove the correlation between people going fast and other people getting hurt but I'm not here to argue that. What I am here to say is that if you are a college kid/young professional and a confident skier you should stay away from Jay unless you would like to be highly scrutinized. At least, that was my experience.
Finally, to Jay Peak. It's been a ride. I grew up skiing you along with Burke. I am saddened to see you succumb to the pressures of corporate ski culture. You lost 3 customers today and I wish that weren't so.

jaytrem

Ridiculous that that pulled the speeders pass without a warn. Crazy ridiculous that they pulled all 3.

Just checked with my friend Jeff who works there, wasn't him!

Domeskier

I know they had an incident 5-10 years ago where on off-duty employee seriously injured a kid while speeding through a beginner's area. Wouldn't be surprised if that led them to implement a zero-tolerance policy toward speeding.

ne_skier

Just another person on an ego trip who needs to prove to other people that they mean something. Typically I see this stuff exhibited in the "rangers", and I have had my run-ins with them. I'm almost more pissed at management for not renouncing this guy for what is pretty much the most un-justified pass grab I've seen, perhaps they didn't want to make him sad or some shit. It's honestly incredible how resorts can treat customers like this and still expect people to show up. I don't know if you guys also feel this way, but for me, skiing is a liberating experience. It doesn't pair well with some ski cop snipping tickets so he can feel powerful, and an inept management team that sends out copy-paste emails and refuses to do anything about the problem.

Smellytele

The signs are pretty big and you have to ski right pass them as they are in the middle of the top of the trail. It is a steep trail but a lot of low intermediate skiers ski it as it the shortest easiest way down off the Jet.
with that said pulling the passes of all three was pretty assine.

2planks2coasts

I could see it. Jay has decent terrain and snow (No, it is not Europe or "Out West" as some fans think) but the employees seem to be looking for reasons to exercise their authority. I ski with a backpack and like many mountains, jay doesn't let you ride the lifts with a pack on your back. Understandable and common. I normally slip it off my shoulders and swing it around front and hold it while leaving the waist belt buckled. Earlier this season a Jay lifty told me I couldn't leave the belt buckled. I asked why and got a lecture about how if it catches on the chair, I'll get hung up, etc, etc. I replied that by unbuckling a belt that's pretty flush with my jacket, I create two dangling buckle parts that are much more likely to get hung up. I was told if I "backtalked again, I'd lose my pass".

ne_skier

How dare you break his stride and suggest that you have reasoning behind your decision-making, you could expose him to the intellect of the "normal people"!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I noticed the "no straight-lining The Jet" signs last week for the first time. What is the point...it's black terrain ffs.

Patrols vary mountain-to-mountain and patroller-to-patroller. I've been caught dead-in-the-water at Killington on closed terrain by patrollers and never had the pass pulled or even given a real stern talking to. Just quick warnings.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Luckily, most patrollers are like cops and don't give a damn about "breaking" rules as long as you're not endangering anyone. But it doesn't make sense in the Jay Peak context. Go fast on green terrain you should get a warning and/or your pass pulled....l that's like doing 40mph on a NYC street or running a red light ...legitimately dangerous for others. But going fast on a black run is like that bored cop who pulls you over for doing 72mph on the freeway at 2am with no one on the road.

dblskifanatic

I noticed the "no straight-lining The Jet" signs last week for the first time. What is the point...it's black terrain ffs.

Patrols vary mountain-to-mountain and patroller-to-patroller. I've been caught dead-in-the-water at Killington on closed terrain by patrollers and never had the pass pulled or even given a real stern talking to. Just quick warnings.

Not sure how busy it was but as trails begin to shut down Jet starts to experience much more traffic. Last time we skied Jay Peak in the spring, that trail was busy with skiers with different abilities. The advanced skiers spend all day blowing the doors off slower skiers.

However, a consideration from ski patrols perspective should be when a bunch of beginners bottle neck a trail it would be nice to ex[plain to them that they ski else where since it is dangerous like a car driving in the fast lane of a freeway going 40 MPH. At A Basin, during early and late season, that is the approach they take.

ThatGuy

Yesterday at Killi I cut through the woods to a closed trail and the patrollers said I must be lost and laughed. Really don’t understand the draconian measures some feel the need to take.

kingslug

Its why some people move to Europe..where they don't care if you jump off a cliff to your death. Coombs got tossed out of JH for skiing closed runs..and went to France. They have good bread there.

Domeskier

I can see ski patrol being more lenient with someone skiing a closed trail and putting only themselves at risk versus straight-lining a trail used by skiers of mixed abilities. The decision to pull the passes of the straight-liner's pals - with or without a warning - does seem draconian, but all we have here is one side of the story. I guess the big lesson here is to never voluntarily hand over a pass to ski patrol.

cdskier

I can see ski patrol being more lenient with someone skiing a closed trail and putting only themselves at risk versus straight-lining a trail used by skiers of mixed abilities. The decision to pull the passes of the straight-liner's pals - with or without a warning - does seem draconian, but all we have here is one side of the story. I guess the big lesson here is to never voluntarily hand over a pass to ski patrol.

At any area using RFID, it really wouldn't matter whether you hand over your pass or not. It wouldn't take much work to figure out who you were and suspend your pass even without you handing it over.

Agree though that we only have 1 side of the story. There certainly could be more to this. If there isn't more to this though, then it does seem pretty harsh.

MG Skier

I saw the signs at the top of the Jet last weekend as well. I asked a my local friends I was skiing with and they thought that someone got hurt earlier in the year. BTW the Jet was fantastic Saturday and early on Sunday, quick indeed!

Smellytele

I saw the signs at the top of the Jet last weekend as well. I asked a my local friends I was skiing with and they thought that someone got hurt earlier in the year. BTW the Jet was fantastic Saturday and early on Sunday, quick indeed!
Saturday There was a guy on that trail that wiped out, lost a ski and started to slide. His ski traveled down 40-50’. He stopped but decided to take off his other ski. When he was trying to I was saying to myself and chair mates that he shouldn’t. When he did he slid right past his other ski. He then attempted to try to put them back on and made the rookie mistake of putting his up hill ski on first and couldn’t get enough pressure on the downhill ski to click in and started to slide again. As I skied down the trees off to skiers right I saw Three ski patrollers that came down to try to help him and still he couldn’t get the ski on. They finally guided him to the edge were he must have gotten it on as he wasn’t there when I road the jet back up. He should not have been on that trail.
Saw another woman fall and slide . She actually turned on purpose to face down hill and just kept sliding

2Planker

Sometimes It's tooooo good to resist.

In over 35 years I think I've pulled 2-3 tix/passes, and that was for jumping off the lift on the Aurora chair after a 36" dumping....

MG Skier

...when I first visited Jay in 2004 when, I couldn't really ski, I NEVER skied the Jet for fear of falling on steep terrain. Have I fallen on it yes, but get up and move! I still am unhappy how I ski the top 2/3rds, but I don't fall! I guess I missed that one. Unfortunately I did see someone hurt on the Goat, I think it was Saturday. Hope they are okay.