• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shawnee Peak Maine acquired by Boyne

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mountain Stewardship Update, from Chet

Dear Friends of Shawnee Peak,

I hope that everyone is well and enjoyed a wonderful summer with family and friends!

Today, I am writing this email with very bittersweet feelings. I recently turned 71 and realized how much of my life and my family’s life has been committed to the stewardship of Shawnee Peak at Pleasant Mountain over the last 27 years. It has been full of fun times, yet not without many challenges at this awesome ski area!

Despite rumors since my first year of ownership in September 1994, I have never solicited nor received an interest in taking over my stewardship of this great ski area. At a recent casual lunch with industry friends, one mentioned if you ever were to consider a transfer of stewardship we would be very interested. I was caught off-guard, but after discussion with my family we agreed to pursue only if the interested party was upfront with a fair offer, would provide enhanced employee opportunities, continue with capital improvements each year and continue the family friendly atmosphere that I think we have established. They agreed.

I am excited to announce that we have completed a transaction with Stephen Kircher and Boyne Resorts, a 100% family-owned organization. I know they will maintain the special family vibe of Shawnee Peak. Geoff will still retain a very visible role for the near future.

This was a very difficult decision for our family, especially me, yet I look forward to many more years of friendship and skiing together. I also realize I need to make some time for my four grandsons while I can still out run / out ski them, but also help them!

My family is so lucky to have built such great friendships with employees and passholders, many whom have been loyal supporters of Shawnee Peak for all 27 years and then some! Thank you all!

Shawnee Peak has a great future under the stewardship of Stephen Kircher and his family.

Sincerely,
Chet

thebigo

Wow, did not see this one coming, big move. Relatively local place for the north conway market and Portland on the same pass as SR and SL. I would assume the NEP will have access this year, they added mid-season access the year they acquired Loon, no idea about IKON.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was just in Bridgton for work on Tuesday and was thinking how great it would be to have Shawnee on the same pass as Sunday River for folks living in that area.

Bad news for Saddleback though. Boyne now truly has the Portland market locked up.

Newpylong

Boy the Independent list is getting smaller.

IMHO people are going to go to Saddleback because it's Saddleback, I don't see an effect on it due to this.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. So I guess that takes Boyne out of the race for Jay Peak. Honestly, a good move. Shawnee could become their Brighton of the east. In my experience, Boyne is a great operator who understands the value of keeping management decisions local. With the exception of Sugarloaf and its major lift failures I give Boyne high marks. My experience at Brighton has been great. Same with Big Sky.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Boy the Independent list is getting smaller.

IMHO people are going to go to Saddleback because it's Saddleback, I don't see an effect on it due to this.

As a former resident of Portland, I respectfully disagree. I vastly prefer SB to the other three. However, if I were still living up there and looking to buy a pass, the convenience of Shawnee would push me towards the Boyne pass. If things aren't looking great up North whether wind or extreme cold, southern Maine folks now have an option on their pass to still go skiing an hour or less from home. Plus add on the potential for after work turns. And Shawnee is a very underated hill IMO.

ThatGuy

3hr vs 1hr drive is a big factor for most people, no matter what mountain.

Newpylong

As a former resident of Portland, I respectfully disagree. I vastly prefer SB to the other three. However, if I were still living up there and looking to buy a pass, the convenience of Shawnee would push me towards the Boyne pass. If things aren't looking great up North whether wind or extreme cold, southern Maine folks now have an option on their pass to still go skiing an hour or less from home. Plus add on the potential for after work turns. And Shawnee is a very underated hill IMO.
As witnessed multiple times this past season, the vast majority of plates in the lot aren't from Maine on a weekend. Shawnee's position relative to Portland or other denser areas in Maine will have no little to no effect on SB's bottom line. Don't believe me, head up and look for yourself when the season starts. They'll be as busy as ever.

thebigo

Shawnee Peak's passes and the New England Pass will remain the same for the upcoming season

Per SR FB: The NE pass and IKON are not valid at Shawnee this year.

Cobbold

It’s interesting watching the ski industry change, only time will tell if all these changes are for the better.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As witnessed multiple times this past season, the vast majority of plates in the lot aren't from Maine on a weekend. Shawnee's position relative to Portland or other denser areas in Maine will have no little to no effect on SB's bottom line. Don't believe me, head up and look for yourself when the season starts. They'll be as busy as ever.

So you're saying that Saddleback isn't competing with Boyne for season pass business?

You serious Clark?

Throw Ikon on top of that and it becomes even more of a compelling argument against going with a SB pass. Also now Boyne has two properties within day trip range of Boston.

I did ski there last season. Ive already booked our February ski vacation there again this year.

As awesome as SB is and with the game changing quad, they still have to steal significant market share from Boyne to survive. That is very difficult to do in their location as an individual mountain in a largely megapass driven market.

What were their skier visit numbers last season?

2planks2coasts

I certainly didn't see this coming either. I love Shawnee. Hope Boyne doesn't change things too much, unlikely as that seems.

Jully

I certainly didn't see this coming either. I love Shawnee. Hope Boyne doesn't change things too much, unlikely as that seems.
Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't see Boyne changing a whole lot besides expanded and improved snowmaking. I don't see a fancy summit lift anytime soon (and would really want that money spent elsewhere).

There was talk of a moderate sized expansion on the west side years ago, but haven't kept up with the rumor mill there at all

Cobbold

Never thought boyne would buy this, makes perfect sense now that I see advantages of boyne having this mtn, always thought vail would buy it, I thought about alterra, but thought they would not want to irritate boyne with the purchase, thought powder might have an interest if they wanted to enter the maine market. Where does this leave saddleback and mt Abram?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't see Boyne changing a whole lot besides expanded and improved snowmaking. I don't see a fancy summit lift anytime soon (and would really want that money spent elsewhere).

There was talk of a moderate sized expansion on the west side years ago, but haven't kept up with the rumor mill there at all

West expansion would be great. There's like 1200 vertical of very solid pitch. Could expand the terrain by like 30-40%.

Unlikely to ever happen now though. People want more terrain, they can just drive an hour up the road to Sunday River

Newpylong

So you're saying that Saddleback isn't competing with Boyne for season pass business?

You serious Clark?

Throw Ikon on top of that and it becomes even more of a compelling argument against going with a SB pass. Also now Boyne has two properties within day trip range of Boston.

I did ski there last season. Ive already booked our February ski vacation there again this year.

As awesome as SB is and with the game changing quad, they still have to steal significant market share from Boyne to survive. That is very difficult to do in their location as an individual mountain in a largely megapass driven market.

What were their skier visit numbers last season?
Those would be your words, not mine.

I am strictly speaking Saddleback vs Shawnee, as Shawnee is not on the Boyne pass this year. Taking the mega pass out of the equation.

I expect Saddleback to join one (assume Ikon) in the near future.

Cobbold

West expansion would be great. There's like 1200 vertical of very solid pitch. Could expand the terrain by like 30-40%.

Unlikely to ever happen now though. People want more terrain, they can just drive an hour up the road to Sunday River
That’s one of the reasons I thought vail would have an interest in the place

Saddleback wants to be bought out. Angling for Vail to be the buyer. Saddleback is making money again on real estate, but it will be interesting to see where their skier visits settle