• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

x10003q

The questions and vague nature of the connections to DV are somehow related to the Military Installation Development Authority (MIDA) for Military Conference Hotel. This hotel has somehow made this out of place development move forward. Maybe, between tax benefits/MIDA financing, this resort has become financially viable.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Harder to do nowadays and nearly impossible if there is financing. No bank or entity is going to finance without doing serious due diligence.
I don't think this is being done with traditional financing. I don't think any banks are significantly involved. I think it is just Extell with lots of incentives from the State.

And it is clear that Extell has NO experience in the ski industry.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The questions and vague nature of the connections to DV are somehow related to the Military Installation Development Authority (MIDA) for Military Conference Hotel. This hotel has somehow made this out of place development move forward. Maybe, between tax benefits/MIDA financing, this resort has become financially viable.
Exactly.

mbedle

OK. So I see what you are saying. I think the devil is in the details. What she says is that Mayflower guests will have direct access to Sultan and Mayflower lifts. So they can ski from the top of Bald Mountain down. What may not be resolved is if they can access DV in general on the same ticket. I know that was in question. Since Extell is not a ski resort operator they may not understand the difference between giving guests full access and giving them only access to two DV lifts. Maybe I am reading into it too much, but DV has not said anything about this whole Mayflower project. At least anything from what I have seen so far.

I also know that Mayflower wanted DV to run its ski infrastructure as if it was part of DV and have a seamless experience. That part of the deal is not resolved and DV does not seem interested.

I would imagine that they will be able to give guests access to DV in general at some point but it will require a fee. Right now it sounds like it is similar to what folks at Moonlight Basin or Spanish Peaks once had at Big Sky--not necessarily a seamless experience but close to it.
You're not reading into it too much, I agree that the access may be limited to just those two lifts. It was also interesting to note that they own the sub-peak of Bald Mountain (which is about the same height as Bald Mountain). There is some good terrain over there that they might be able to develop.

Tin Woodsman

You're not reading into it too much, I agree that the access may be limited to just those two lifts. It was also interesting to note that they own the sub-peak of Bald Mountain (which is about the same height as Bald Mountain). There is some good terrain over there that they might be able to develop.
Perhaps, but none of their development plans (at least none of these released to the public) include terrain on that peak. Looks like everything tops out around 8200' at best. And of course the complication with access for snowboarders represents a huge difference between this situation and that of Moonlight Basin/Big Sky. Good luck getting Mayflower successfully off the ground with a skiers-only policy if you want to connect with the better/higher Deer Valley terrain.

mbedle

Perhaps, but none of their development plans (at least none of these released to the public) include terrain on that peak. Looks like everything tops out around 8200' at best. And of course the complication with access for snowboarders represents a huge difference between this situation and that of Moonlight Basin/Big Sky. Good luck getting Mayflower successfully off the ground with a skiers-only policy if you want to connect with the better/higher Deer Valley terrain.
True, have not seen any plans for lifts over on that part of the property. However, they aquired a lot of the parcels over there recently, so maybe its being thought of for future potential. As far as the snowboarding policy, maybe!!!!!!! they got Deer Valley to agree to allow snowboarding off of those two lifts. Can put a lot of pressure on a resort when you own the land that some of their best terrain is located.

Tin Woodsman

True, have not seen any plans for lifts over on that part of the property. However, they aquired a lot of the parcels over there recently, so maybe its being thought of for future potential. As far as the snowboarding policy, maybe!!!!!!! they got Deer Valley to agree to allow snowboarding off of those two lifts. Can put a lot of pressure on a resort when you own the land that some of their best terrain is located.
Super interesting. This would be big news to the DV community even if just for those 2 lifts, so I'm intrigued to see how this plays out and is messaged.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump. This place has competition. The buildings will be named after Edgar and Polly Stern and start at $2.25 mill per unit.

pinion

"See the trails" from 40? Or can you see also from on-mountain (like Mayflower area)? This has been such a long drawn out thing that I almost never expected to see anything real come of it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
"See the trails" from 40? Or can you see also from on-mountain (like Mayflower area)? This has been such a long drawn out thing that I almost never expected to see anything real come of it.
From Jordanelle Gondola. Limited view admittedly.

From Mayflower one can see a switchback service road that now traverses the ridgeline just adjacent to the Mayflower Triple.

FBGM

Most recent NSAA magazine had a small blurb on this place. Kept it super vague.

Any more news? How’s the build coming?

My PC home goes on market next week so I guess I’m officially not a resident and done and gone.