• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTKilarney

Which part of the reporting are you angry with - that they reported there are zero double blind studies to show that Ivermectin treats COVID or that the horse paste Ivermectin was flying off the shelves in certain areas of the US?
Neither. I am referring to the fact that the media often failed to acknowledge that people were taking the form of the medication that is intended for human consumption - albeit for an off-label use. You know as well as I do that they wanted to give the impression by omission that the drug was only for animals.

Put another way, I saw many examples of the media, without knowing the actual source of Ivermectin, make a factual statement that someone was taking horse de-wormer. At best that is reckless reporting.

For example, Joe Rogan took Ivermectin that was produced for human consumption. And yet CNN reported that he took horse de-wormer. Rolling Stone ran with it as well.

ThatGuy

Neither. I am referring to the fact that the media often failed to acknowledge that people were taking the form of the medication that is intended for human consumption - albeit for an off-label use. You know as well as I do that they wanted to give the impression by omission that the drug was only for animals.

Put another way, I saw many examples of the media, without knowing the actual source of Ivermectin, make a factual statement that someone was taking horse de-wormer. At best that is reckless reporting.

For example, Joe Rogan took Ivermectin that was produced for human consumption. And yet CNN reported that he took horse de-wormer. Rolling Stone ran with it as well.

You have too much rational thinking and not enough finger pointing and assumptions going on for this thread.

abc

In this age of internet access, "main stream media" should only be a starting point of what's happening. Not the true nor authoritative source of what's actually happened.

The same can be said of any source, be it social media like FB, or for that matter AZ.

Learning to distinguish sources, online or even in real world, is a critical yet often neglected skill. That's unfortunate. Should have been a required subject in school.

Last edited:

x10003q

You should read the Rolling Stone article. It will tell you the FDA approved uses for ivermectin. Covid is not one of the uses.

ThatGuy

You should read the Rolling Stone article. It will tell you the FDA approved uses for ivermectin. Covid is not one of the uses.
Dude the title of the article says “Joe Rogan ate a cocktail of Meds, including a horse dewormer”. Yes the astute reader can go farther and ascertain that Ivermectin is approved and used for humans just not for covid, but the average person reads a headline and sees none of that. Which then puts the idea in their head that Ivermectin is a horse dewormer only. It’s sad that click-baity titles obscuring the truth are what gets clicks and engagement now, and “news” sites of all political affiliation love to cause contention for profit.

MadPadraic

No. I once went to a large outdoor concert at Vail in 15" degree weather after the sun had gone down. It was very fun. We just kept our snowsports clothing on (and even added an extra layer). Besides it doesn't have to be all or nothing--events can get moved or postponed if it is truely too cold or pissing freezing rain.

Last winter Brookline and Somerville became paradises in the winter with restaurants putting in wind shelters and heaters to maintain outdoor eating and drinking. This is totally doable, but perhaps New Englanders just aren't a very hearty bunch.

Geoff

Science is indeed always "evolving". Would anyone who follow Newton's law have to "admit" he's wrong when Einstein came up with General Relativity? You know, they don't have to, they just "adapt".

On the "other side", we know a stopped clock can be "right" twice a day. It's just plain "wrong" the rest of the day.
Err…. Newtonian physics works just fine until you have velocities near the speed of light. I rarely ski much faster than 30 mph. My car rarely goes beyond 80 mph. The commercial flights I take stay below the speed of sound. I don’t think I’ve ever exceeded 700 mph. In my low speed universe, I can use Newton and Einstein interchangeably and get the same results.

Medicine is different from physics. Issac Newton died in 1727. Nobody in their right mind would use medicine from 1727.

Geoff

Dude the title of the article says “Joe Rogan ate a cocktail of Meds, including a horse dewormer”. Yes the astute reader can go farther and ascertain that Ivermectin is approved and used for humans just not for covid, but the average person reads a headline and sees none of that. Which then puts the idea in their head that Ivermectin is a horse dewormer only. It’s sad that click-baity titles obscuring the truth are what gets clicks and engagement now, and “news” sites of all political affiliation love to cause contention for profit.
No. The title of the article is satire highlighting medical quackery. Just like the pretty much daily Herman Cain Award winners that show up in my news feed. The California Assistant DA was national news this week. “Prominent anti-vaxer dies of COVID” is an object of ridicule.

Geoff

Going back to the original title of this thread...I'd like to see a lot more outdoor apres-ski entertainment at ski ares. They already have it in CO and France, I don't know why we can't enjoy it here too.
Going back to the title of the thread, there won’t be many permanent changes to skiing from COVID-19. Ski resorts will continue to be alcohol fueled places with people jammed together being social. The single male/female ratio will continue to be 10:1.

I think the biggest change is telecommuting. You don’t have to be a ski bum or a trustafarian to live at a ski resort. The housing problem caused by that is going to continue to cause staffing problems. I telecommuted out of Killington for a decade wintering there and on the coast in the summer. In 2009, that was really unusual. In 2022, it’s totally normal.

tumbler

Similar story, Dad wouldn't let anyone get Vaxx'd
Dad then got covid, spent 35 days in the Hosp., before he passed
Wife and 2 kids still not gonna get Vaxx.
Nothing you can do anymore.....

My family too, more than 1/2 of us are MD/RN/ & healthcare PhD's. But we have 3 siblings who are never gonna get a Vacc.
One is hospitalized now, and will probably be in the ICU shortly

We just ordered 4 mortuary refrigerators and freezers in preparation of what is to come
This is awful, I'm sorry for you and your family.

With many stories like these with unvaxxed pleading from their ICU bed for people to get vaxxed and poeple still refuse to. We are doomed. Heck, even Trump got boosted and was booed at his own rally for getting the booster. Can't make this shit up.

boston_e

No. I once went to a large outdoor concert at Vail in 15" degree weather after the sun had gone down. It was very fun. We just kept our snowsports clothing on (and even added an extra layer). Besides it doesn't have to be all or nothing--events can get moved or postponed if it is truely too cold or pissing freezing rain.

Last winter Brookline and Somerville became paradises in the winter with restaurants putting in wind shelters and heaters to maintain outdoor eating and drinking. This is totally doable, but perhaps New Englanders just aren't a very hearty bunch.
I hear what you are saying, but I do think that on average, the weather out west is generally more conducive to outdoor apres ski than it is in New England - and there is a huge difference in average temps between metro Boston and ski country in Maine and NH.

With that said, I do think a lot of what is already done for outdoor concerts etc in New England is great and could potentially be expanded upon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Local music club in our town in coastal NH did outdoor shows last year up until about December 15th and started up again March 17th. There were more cancellations due to weather than actual events held in the late fall and early spring. The biggest issue is it's damn hard to get your fingers to work on a guitar when it's 20 degrees out. You really need a bunch of heaters on stage.

skiur

15 degrees isn't bad, I tailgate at 15. Problem is late December thru early March in new England at elevation it's often single digits. Add in 30 mph wind and it's a lot worse.

eatskisleep

Going back to the title of the thread, there won’t be many permanent changes to skiing from COVID-19. Ski resorts will continue to be alcohol fueled places with people jammed together being social. The single male/female ratio will continue to be 10:1.

I think the biggest change is telecommuting. You don’t have to be a ski bum or a trustafarian to live at a ski resort. The housing problem caused by that is going to continue to cause staffing problems. I telecommuted out of Killington for a decade wintering there and on the coast in the summer. In 2009, that was really unusual. In 2022, it’s totally normal.
Yep, no more cheap housing in ski towns, no more cheap property. I see this being one of the biggest long term issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.