• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Edd

Long time lurker, first time caller.

- Okemo before Christmas was graded a "C" in my book. Kids lesson confirmation/process was a mess. One magic carpet at Jackson Gore during the weekend.

- Crotched on Sunday was a "C". Gnarly little hill for what it is, a complete dump of a warehouse/base lodge. Would respect if indy but Vail? Come on.

- Sunapee Tuesday was an "A".

-Onsite staff doing best at all, seem to be fighting Corporate.

- Looked up some SWAF tix for Stowe Presidents day week and they were more than regular online rate - Classic.
Crotched base lodge….the aesthetic could be more cozy I suppose but the functionality is excellent.

deadheadskier

Staff member
two people who joined our little northeastern ski forum solely to spew covid disinformation can drop dead for all i care.

While I agree it's kinda lame for those types of drive by members who only wish to contribute by crowbarring their politics. Let's keep the death wishes out of it. We don't want that kinda language and threatening posts on this forum either.

Mainer

Wishing death on someone because you don’t like their politics is gross. People like you are screwing up this country. More people would get vaccinated if assholes like you would shut up and mind there own business. The nice thing about this thread is we all are coming together with our mutual hate of vail.

Geoff

The nice thing about this thread is we all are coming together with our mutual hate of vail.
I don’t hate Vail. I lived through this at Killington. Laying off the full timers and converting almost everyone to part time seasonal with no benefits. It sucked for 5 years. Western resort people don’t understand eastern skiing. Layer on top of that a reality that Vail probably doesn’t even want the North Conway ski areas or Crotched.

In my opinion, if Vail is going to sell cheap passes, they have to limit the number of days per mountain. If you want more than that, buy the more expensive pass.

Keelhauled

gittist

That's fixable, needs to be something more catastrophic
It wouldn't work. Fail (Vail) would do simply do an insurance claim based on vandalism and then use the proceeds to give the upper management in Bloomfied a really big bonus. The following year they would get another bonus based on the lower labor and maintenance costs.

Mainer

When I skied Shawnee the other day every snowmaking trail was open. When I skied cranmore today, Tons of snowmaking going on. No snowmaking at wildcat for weeks now. When my friend skied attitash on mlk day, huge line at bear. Illusion and morning star were theopen. Two trails off the yankee. Triple was broken or wind hold. He rode singles line all day, everybody he rode with was bitching about limited terrain. He said if he wasn’t ducking ropes he would have left immediately. It’s crazy how bad epic is this year, made last year look good.
My plan is probably the Shawnee/ Sunday River pass next year. I’m kinda afraid of the crowds there if all the epic pass holders move on.

2Planker

It wouldn't work. Fail (Vail) would do simply do an insurance claim based on vandalism and then use the proceeds to give the upper management in Bloomfied a really big bonus. The following year they would get another bonus based on the lower labor and maintenance costs.
Vail already paid out 6 figure bonuses to upper mgmnt in Dec...
"take the money & run"

pinion

When I skied Shawnee the other day every snowmaking trail was open. When I skied cranmore today, Tons of snowmaking going on. No snowmaking at wildcat for weeks now. When my friend skied attitash on mlk day, huge line at bear. Illusion and morning star were theopen. Two trails off the yankee. Triple was broken or wind hold. He rode singles line all day, everybody he rode with was bitching about limited terrain. He said if he wasn’t ducking ropes he would have left immediately. It’s crazy how bad epic is this year, made last year look good.
My plan is probably the Shawnee/ Sunday River pass next year. I’m kinda afraid of the crowds there if all the epic pass holders move on.

Been skiing Cranmore more than I'd like this year. Honestly, they are doing a great job.

Hit Attitash yesterday (after it was obvious WC wasn't coming off wind hold) and had a blast but only because Moat was opened au naturel and Avenger over on Bear - though closed - was worth a few trips through the crusty powder. At least patrol isn't penalizing ducking ropes... yet...

I'll be at Wildcat Sat/Sun and hoping for some remaining coverage down the middle. We'll see.

Last edited:

Tin Woodsman

ding ding ding! vail decided to mandate an experimental, now obsolete (against omicron) vaccine on their employees, instead of waiting for the supreme court to strike it down.

fortunately there were plenty of other ski areas that didn't do this to their employees and they're looking pretty good now. interesting that the areas that didn't force the vaccine mandate have close to normal snowmaking coverage and crews, while the corporate areas who fired or pressured their employees to resign now have skeleton crews and little snowmaking terrain open. karma?
Oh, we have an anti-vaxxer. Good time to take the Ignore feature out for a test drive.

machski