• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

2Planker

Oh, we have an anti-vaxxer. Good time to take the Ignore feature out for a test drive.
My AntiVaxx BIL just got out of the hospital after 23 days, 13 in the ICU
Home on O2, has Myocarditis, can barely walk up a flight of stairs, lost 30lbs, bigtime "covid fog" issues.
Finally admits that he prob should have got the Vaxx...

Bostonian

My AntiVaxx BIL just got out of the hospital after 23 days, 13 in the ICU
Home on O2, has Myocarditis, can barely walk up a flight of stairs, lost 30lbs, bigtime "covid fog" issues.
Finally admits that he prob should have got the Vaxx...
Wishingf him a speedy recovery. The only thing that Vail has done right this season is the whole Vax mandate. Heading up to Stowe for the day I think Saturday, should be interesting to see how things are going there. Haven't gotten much mileage out of my Epic pass this year, so this will be interesting to say the least.

Mainer

The vax mandate has been great. Wildcat hasn’t blown snow in 3 weeks. I feel way more protected those dirty snowmakers aren’t allowed to work there. They would probably mixing the virus into the snow and it would be all over the mountain. Give me a break, enough of this nonsense.

Bostonian

The vax mandate has been great. Wildcat hasn’t blown snow in 3 weeks. I feel way more protected those dirty snowmakers aren’t allowed to work there. They would probably mixing the virus into the snow and it would be all over the mountain. Give me a break, enough of this nonsense.
Yet, Crotched and Sunapee have blown snow... So there goes your theory. Perhaps, it is more to do with Vail's inflexibility of providing a living wage. Where I work, we have a vax mandate and only lost less than 1% of our workforce who refused to follow science.

Reactions: Edd

johnl87

Yet, Crotched and Sunapee have blown snow... So there goes your theory.
when did crotched open? how many trails did sunapee have open at christmas? there goes your theory.

Where I work, we have a vax mandate and only lost less than 1% of our workforce who refused to follow science.
some people were on the mountain throughout the pandemic and got the virus before the vaccines were available. if vail followed the science, they would have recognized natural immunity. but they didn't. to the beancounters we're numbers, not people. fortunately a lot of other ski areas didn't impose vaccine mandates so there were places for us to go.

Mainer

The wildcat snowmakers are usually redneck 20 somethings from Berlin. I’m sure you probably work with white collar yuppies. Whole different crew. There is 7 ski areas in 45 minutes drive of the mwv, the only area hurting for snowmakers is wildcat/attitash. The science is saying that omnicron infects the vaccinated and unvaccinated the same. What benefit does a 20 something snowmakers being vaccinated Have to running a ski area. None.
Ps I’m vaccinated and recently had covid. I just don’t get the unvaccinated hate. The playing field has changed with omnicron. Maybe you should follow the science

Tonyr

Yet, Crotched and Sunapee have blown snow... So there goes your theory. Perhaps, it is more to do with Vail's inflexibility of providing a living wage. Where I work, we have a vax mandate and only lost less than 1% of our workforce who refused to follow science.
I was specifically told by an employee of Vail (while I was in Vail earlier this year) that the lack of employee housing, people calling out sick from Covid, and the mandate has made it very hard to hire from an already limited pool of candidates. Only 60% to 65% of adults in the US have been vaccinated so that eliminates 35% to 40% of the working pool to hire from. I'm sure the lack of higher wages doesn't help either.

Kingslug20

We cant even get mail on a regular basis..USPS is short staffed...when the hell has that ever happened...
We are becoming a 2nd world nation...

drjeff

Oh boy, Fail is finally failing on something at Mount Snow. I get they didn't sign for the EB-5's, but they bought that as the package.

So Vail is trying to payback some of the EB-5 investors. One of the requirements of the EB-5 program was the creation of some number of new jobs (can't remember the exact # but I believe it was more than 100 in the region) Highly doubt that actually happened for all of the investors regardless of who's job creation metric you use.

Guess I would rather see them paid back and try and stay by the EB-5 regs to some degree, which would be far better than the Jay/Burke/Quiros EB-5 debacle

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
We cant even get mail on a regular basis..USPS is short staffed...when the hell has that ever happened...
We are becoming a 2nd world nation...

Because...unemployment is low?

When unemployment is one of your top economic metrics, abusing it's power as a statistic can seriously damage the economy. Same as interest rates. 1% unemployment should not be a goal. 0% interest rates should not be the feds go-to in economic distress.

Bostonian

when did crotched open? how many trails did sunapee have open at christmas? there goes your theory.

some people were on the mountain throughout the pandemic and got the virus before the vaccines were available. if vail followed the science, they would have recognized natural immunity. but they didn't. to the beancounters we're numbers, not people. fortunately a lot of other ski areas didn't impose vaccine mandates so there were places for us to go.
Crotched now has 20/26 trails open. Once weather conditions were right for snowmaking, they caught up with other mountains their size (Wachusett, Pats Peak). Sunapee is 43/67... So again try again

All the scientific literature points to the fact that vaccines are far more effective than catching covid. Having worked in one Boston's largest hospitals, the consensus has always been getting vaccinated is the best way to combat this.

Next..

Bostonian

I was specifically told by an employee of Vail (while I was in Vail earlier this year) that the lack of employee housing, people calling out sick from Covid, and the mandate has made it very hard to hire from an already limited pool of candidates. Only 60% to 65% of adults in the US have been vaccinated so that eliminates 35% to 40% of the working pool to hire from. I'm sure the lack of higher wages doesn't help either.
I agree that the lack of employee housing, and people getting sick from covid had an impact. However, it has been widely reported that only 5% of all previously employed people quit due to a covid vaccine mandate. This jives with some of the numbers I saw where I work (3%)...

Smellytele

Crotched now has 20/26 trails open. Once weather conditions were right for snowmaking, they caught up with other mountains their size (Wachusett, Pats Peak). Sunapee is 43/67... So again try again

All the scientific literature points to the fact that vaccines are far more effective than catching covid. Having worked in one Boston's largest hospitals, the consensus has always been getting vaccinated is the best way to combat this.

Next..
My question is how were the others ahead of them before if they couldn’t make snow as crotched wasn’t?

Bostonian

My question is how were the others ahead of them before if they couldn’t make snow as crotched wasn’t?
My hunch is that it had to do with Vail's terrible hiring process and poor wage rates. I am sure they were pulling from other mountains they managed to get staff there.

Personally, if I were a Vail Exec, I would push for more local autonomy in recruiting, hiring and retention. Doesn't help, when everything is routed back to Broomfield, CO...

Tonyr

I agree that the lack of employee housing, and people getting sick from covid had an impact. However, it has been widely reported that only 5% of all previously employed people quit due to a covid vaccine mandate. This jives with some of the numbers I saw where I work (3%)...
Agreed, although working at a resort is seasonal as well as a transient job. How many people just didn’t flat out apply because of the mandate? I have no idea as I'm just repeating what I heard but If you eliminate 4 out of 10 people just looking at the statistics of who is vaccined and who isn't I would assume it puts a strain on what is already a tough position to fill in the first place. I mean Starbucks just ditched their corporate vax mandate for what I believe was one of the same reasons, hiring issues.

Last edited:

Mainer

The question is what benefit does the mountain gain by making 20 yr old snowmakers be vaccinated? Also why does Stowe’s staff being vaccinated make you feel safer if your vaxxed boosted and I assume masking up? If you can still give it and get being vaccinated, what’s the difference, you’re protected. And if you are worried about overwhelming the hospital, maybe you should stay home as skiing is risky and could take another bed.
The vail mandate nonsense is just virtue signaling. They played the woke card instead of playing the skiing card

drjeff

The question is what benefit does the mountain gain by making 20 yr old snowmakers be vaccinated? Also why does Stowe’s staff being vaccinated make you feel safer if your vaxxed boosted and I assume masking up? If you can still give it and get being vaccinated, what’s the difference, you’re protected. And if you are worried about overwhelming the hospital, maybe you should stay home as skiing is risky and could take another bed.
The vail mandate nonsense is just virtue signaling. They played the woke card instead of playing the skiing card

I fully agree. Unfortunately though they have a sizable enough number of Epic Pass holders from metropolitan areas with a bunch of disposable income, who have been fully indoctrinated into the cult of woke-ism, and initially the woke likely made more "noise" that resonated with the higher ups in Broomfield than the non woke, who likely make up a much larger percentage of Epic passholders. The age old vocal minority making more noise than the silent majority scenario.

Will likely take a bunch of the silent minority "speaking" by clicking the button to get off auto-renew to get the proverbial pendulum swinging back towards the middle

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh boy, Fail is finally failing on something at Mount Snow. I get they didn't sign for the EB-5's, but they bought that as the package.

I think that the last term Vermont probably ever wants to hear is “EB-5”.

Bostonian

I fully agree. Unfortunately though they have a sizable enough number of Epic Pass holders from metropolitan areas with a bunch of disposable income, who have been fully indoctrinated into the cult of woke-ism, and initially the woke likely made more "noise" that resonated with the higher ups in Broomfield than the non woke, who likely make up a much larger percentage of Epic passholders. The age old vocal minority making more noise than the silent majority scenario.

Will likely take a bunch of the silent minority "speaking" by clicking the button to get off auto-renew to get the proverbial pendulum swinging back towards the middle

Woke-ism? Absolute nonsense - Just step foot into some of the local hospitals and see what is going on with the unvaccinated and how they are clogging up the ICUs, and hospital beds in general to the point where they are cancelling elective surgery. But, hey I am glad to see instead of responding with data, you decide to use dopey insults.

Instead look at Dr. Jeremey Faust's Hospital Circuit Breaker, which monitors hospitals nationally for capacity issues. I could care less if someone wants to remain unvaccinated, so be it - just keep them out of Boston Hospitals which are now cancelling cancer procedures because of selfish assholes who can't be bothered to do the right thing.