• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Pass Changes and New Resorts for 2023

thetrailboss

Staff member
You may be right that not enough pass holders spend money at the resorts. That was one of the complaints I've read from Stowe's local business owners. They get all the crowds but not much spend at the local businesses from all of the pass holders. I did notice though that the restaurants within the Cliff House were packed each night and the hotel was definitely sold out the week we were there.
When did you visit?

jaytrem

Don't know. If parking reservations are still the deal at Alta we will stay there. Brighton Twilight season pass for me as well. Boyne has got a lot of our business this year as has Alta.

Hopefully your 5th Grader can get a Utah Passport that you mentioned. Ski Utah all but killed it last year--the protests and pitchforks made them reconsider. They had limited it to M-F non-holiday which no kid in school could reasonably use....
That would be two 5th graders, even better deal! Wouldn't use it until April 6th to the 16th, so shouldn't be any blackouts unless they kill the weekends again. That should be late enough to avoid most of the crowds. Gotta keep an eye on closing dates this year. Need to pick up Cherry Peak and Woodward.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The whole Snowbird Only on Base vs. Alta/Snowbird day thing is going to confuse a whole lot of people and cause a lot of headaches.

That is the single question I have been asked the most by guests (how the 5/7 AltaBird days work). I can't imagine next year how I'll explain it to people who ask me... better get a calculator and a flow chart!

cdskier

That is the single question I have been asked the most by guests (how the 5/7 AltaBird days work). I can't imagine next year how I'll explain it to people who ask me... better get a calculator and a flow chart!
It really shouldn't be that difficult to explain. Next year if you have the Base, you get 5 days at Snowbird only. If you have Base Plus, you get 5 days between Alta and Snowbird. If you have the full Ikon, you get 7 days between the two.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It really shouldn't be that difficult to explain. Next year if you have the Base, you get 5 days at Snowbird only. If you have Base Plus, you get 5 days between Alta and Snowbird. If you have the full Ikon, you get 7 days between the two.

Correct. I should clarify...it is easy to explain, comprehension varies greatly!

thetrailboss

Staff member
The most unhappy employees I've ever seen, to the point of awkwardness where they go out of their way to badmouth working conditions at Snowbird without ever being prompted or solicited. It was weird. Nice people, very disgruntled.
Assuming that they don’t eff up what service they are supposed provide.

boston_e

Boyne has not announced New England Pass pricing or details yet. They had said they may keep Shawnee separate. We will see if it is added at any level to the NEP. It would land there first before an Ikon landing.
I'm not sure if it is a great comparison, but when Ikon first came out, Pico was not on it (even though Killington was). It took maybe a year of discussion I think and even now there are not 7 days at each - it is 7 days total between the two. I'd guess Boyne first needs to sort out what they want to do with Shawnee passes and then have the discussion with Ikon.

Zermatt

PSA on Child Renewal:

I called Ikon today to ask if my son would get the renewal discount going from the child pass to the young adult pass (turns 13 this summer). They said he would, but more importantly they noted that the pricing is based on the age at the time of purchase. So for 22/23 season as long as I buy the pass this spring I would get the child pricing which is substantially cheaper than young adult.

machski

Wow, the Crystal pass changes are a huge chunk increase. $1699 now (1599 renew, I guess if you had a full Ikon this year??) just for Crystal! Want the whole Ikon pass you had this year as a Crystal skier/rider? That's an extra $300 on top of either price. If you just need a Ikon Base added on, you save a whopping $50. Who in their right minds would do that with the total $$ we're talking about?! And obviously not this year, but is this the tip of the iceberg where skiing gets much more expensive again? Because I highly doubt Crystal is cutting day ticket prices back next season. Oh, and you have to reserve and pay to park next season too at Crystal. You can add preferred parking all season (limited quantities) for another $400 I think, maybe pushes $500. How many more will start following this model where your base resort is large dollars with an add on for the multi pass?

Tonyr

Wow, the Crystal pass changes are a huge chunk increase. $1699 now (1599 renew, I guess if you had a full Ikon this year??) just for Crystal! Want the whole Ikon pass you had this year as a Crystal skier/rider? That's an extra $300 on top of either price. If you just need a Ikon Base added on, you save a whopping $50. Who in their right minds would do that with the total $$ we're talking about?! And obviously not this year, but is this the tip of the iceberg where skiing gets much more expensive again? Because I highly doubt Crystal is cutting day ticket prices back next season. Oh, and you have to reserve and pay to park next season too at Crystal. You can add preferred parking all season (limited quantities) for another $400 I think, maybe pushes $500. How many more will start following this model where your base resort is large dollars with an add on for the multi
This increase is certainly going to cut down the horrible overcrowding problems they have had.

Zermatt

Wow, the Crystal pass changes are a huge chunk increase. $1699 now (1599 renew, I guess if you had a full Ikon this year??) just for Crystal! Want the whole Ikon pass you had this year as a Crystal skier/rider? That's an extra $300 on top of either price. If you just need a Ikon Base added on, you save a whopping $50. Who in their right minds would do that with the total $$ we're talking about?! And obviously not this year, but is this the tip of the iceberg where skiing gets much more expensive again? Because I highly doubt Crystal is cutting day ticket prices back next season. Oh, and you have to reserve and pay to park next season too at Crystal. You can add preferred parking all season (limited quantities) for another $400 I think, maybe pushes $500. How many more will start following this model where your base resort is large dollars with an add on for the multi pass?
This is not a bad thing. Make Skiing Expensive Again!

Giving away season pass literally ruined skiing. The breakeven for season passes versus day tickets should not be 4 days.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A guy from the Seattle area last week told me that there are over 45,000 IKON Passholders in the Seattle metro area….

deadheadskier

Staff member

I think Crystal and Washington State in general is kind of unique. The Seattle area has exploded in population the past 30 years. The amount of ski terrain has not. So pushing prices might be more needed there

machski

I think Crystal and Washington State in general is kind of unique. The Seattle area has exploded in population the past 30 years. The amount of ski terrain has not. So pushing prices might be more needed there
True, and the dead end highway hasn't gotten any wider, nor the parking space any larger. The parking part is part of the first phase of improvements at Crystal

I think an even bigger concern (after all, fr-sun you have to reserve parking ahead of time so they already filter guest capacity) is the likely exodus from Stevens and Epic in the PNW and feeling they needed to build a most to not overload their pass base any more. Will be interesting to see what Boyne may counter with at Snoqualmie. They are now the likely Epic exodus mass landing point.

KustyTheKlown

You act like this is a bad thing. Crystal has been particularly negatively effected by all this bullshit. I hope Ikon continues to raise prices year over year. Enough of this nonsense already.

Last edited: