• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

djd66

Settle down. Bad joke I guess.

I recognize that it's a problem in most all resort areas. Never heard of 10 people spending $1000 each a month to share a 1bed / 1bath apartment though. There should be regulations preventing that kind of crap. Kind of like how many college towns have regulations limiting the number of non-relatives that can live in a dwelling. Disgusting people who exploit others like that.
Um,.. you settle down.

They rented a ski in ski out property… why is $12k/month exploitive? It’s market rate for that type of property.

Here’s a link to the site for the property they rented https://www.pclodge.com/park-city-vacation-rentals/lodge-mtn-village

djd66

They are cut-throat business people who exploit “gentiles” all the time and only take care of themselves. It’s a blunt assessment, but true.

Reminds me of what was said about the Jews during Nazi Germany. Maybe you should Moderate yourself when posting such a racist comment.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Um,.. you settle down.

They rented a ski in ski out property… why is $12k/month exploitive? It’s market rate for that type of property.

Here’s a link to the site for the property they rented https://www.pclodge.com/park-city-vacation-rentals/lodge-mtn-village

Nice victim shaming

You may not know this, but the requirements for International student workers is that the employer secures them housing. That has to be arranged before entering the program / country. So whomever is employing these poor kids, be it Vail or another PC business is responsible for securing 100 square feet of floor space and one bathroom to share with 9 others at $1000 a month. I don't care if they are Mormon, Muslim or Atheist, whoever is responsible for that is a major asshole and regulations should be established to not exploit these workers.

Do you think it's okay to market towards South American students to come work and live when the conditions of employment is this type of housing arrangement? I wonder if the kids even knew what they were getting into.

KustyTheKlown

lol, yes, these 18 year old south american visa workers knowingly rented a $12k ski-in ski-out property that would cannibalize their entire salary. surely their employer had nothing to do with securing the arrangement.

drjeff

Nice victim shaming

You may not know this, but the requirements for International student workers is that the employer secures them housing. That has to be arranged before entering the program / country. So whomever is employing these poor kids, be it Vail or another PC business is responsible for securing 100 square feet of floor space and one bathroom to share with 9 others at $1000 a month. I don't care if they are Mormon, Muslim or Atheist, whoever is responsible for that is a major asshole and regulations should be established to not exploit these workers.

Do you think it's okay to market towards South American students to come work and live when the conditions of employment is this type of housing arrangement? I wonder if the kids even knew what they were getting into.
There is also a difference between when the employer does secure housing for the J-1 workers and if the J-1 workers choose to live in the housing that the employer helps secure.

There were numerous posts in the late Fall on the Mount Snow Passholders FB group from J-1's looking for housing options, because they wanted something other than what the mountain offered them. Heck, 5 yrs or so ago, my wife and I had 6 J-1's rent out the 3 bedroom condo next to ours for the entire season, because they wanted something "better" than what the mountain has secured and offered to them. NIce people, could of done without the fact that over the course of that Winter they felt that the best way to dispose of their cigarette butts was to flick them off either the front porch or back deck and into the snowbanks. Left quite a mess when the snow melted weeks after they returned to South America.

Not all of the J-1's are "poor" and/or come from familes who are poor, so some do have some finanical means to look into obtaining, housing different than what their employer offers

deadheadskier

Staff member
There is also a difference between when the employer does secure housing for the J-1 workers and if the J-1 workers choose to live in the housing that the employer helps secure.

There were numerous posts in the late Fall on the Mount Snow Passholders FB group from J-1's looking for housing options, because they wanted something other than what the mountain offered them. Heck, 5 yrs or so ago, my wife and I had 6 J-1's rent out the 3 bedroom condo next to ours for the entire season, because they wanted something "better" than what the mountain has secured and offered to them. NIce people, could of done without the fact that over the course of that Winter they felt that the best way to dispose of their cigarette butts was to flick them off either the front deck or back porch and into the snowbanks. Left quite a mess when the snow melted weeks after they returned to South America.

Not all of the J-1's are "poor" and/or come from familes who are poor, so some do have some finanical means to look into obtaining, housing different than what their employer offers

Unlikely the case in this scenario. The workers didn't give their names in fear of losing their housing.

And even in a scenario like you describe, there should be regulations that assure at least somewhat of a dignified living situation. If not, why stop at 10 kids per 1 bathroom, 1000 square feet and 4 forks? Why not go for 20 Argentinian suckers?

Unbridled capitalism is the way right?

urungus

There were numerous posts in the late Fall on the Mount Snow Passholders FB group from J-1's looking for housing options, because they wanted something other than what the mountain offered them. Heck, 5 yrs or so ago, my wife and I had 6 J-1's rent out the 3 bedroom condo next to ours for the entire season, because they wanted something "better" than what the mountain has secured and offered to them. NIce people, could of done without the fact that over the course of that Winter they felt that the best way to dispose of their cigarette butts was to flick them off either the front deck or back porch and into the snowbanks. Left quite a mess when the snow melted weeks after they returned to South America.

Sounds like more victim blaming, if they don’t like the shitty 100 square feet for $1k a month they were provided, they should just find some place else after arriving in town. Plenty of readily available accommodations in most mountain towns, right ? After all, many J1s are actually wealthy people who want to pull hoses in the freezing dark for minimum wage.

drjeff

Unlikely the case in this scenario. The workers didn't give their names in fear of losing their housing.

And even in a scenario like you describe, there should be regulations that assure at least somewhat of a dignified living situation. If not, why stop at 10 kids per 1 bathroom, 1000 square feet and 4 forks? Why not go for 20 Argentinian suckers?

Unbridled capitalism is the way right?
Sometimes it's not unbridled capitalism as much as it's the users avoiding the posted rules and doing whatever they want. Big difference.

Having a condo next to mine that is listed on VRBO and is rented probably 3 weekends a month during the ski season on average. I can tell you that what is listed as the maximum capacity (both on the VRBO listing as well as in our condo association by-laws) and often how many people those renting the unit have with them, are different numbers. And there's not a lot of fire marshalls checking occupancy numbers for rental units.

Heck, it would be nice if they were like the NH Marine Patrol whom I am guessing you've seen when you're out on your boat on Winnipesaukee in the non skiing season doing safety stops and checking for boat capacity and adequate numbers of life jackets.

AdironRider

Every J1 I ever supervised (several dozen) wasn't working for the money. They were all rich (for their respective countries) kids doing their version of a ski bum season.

I'm certainly not a fan of ski town economics these days but a bunch of skids renting a place way above their pay grade is not illegal nor should it be. They didn't have a gun held to their head.

And this idea of having unlawful searches of people's residences is just so over the top. There are laws against that in America champ.

drjeff

Sounds like more victim blaming, if they don’t like the shitty 100 square feet for $1k a month they were provided, they should just find some place else after arriving in town. Plenty of readily available accommodations in most mountain towns, right ? After all, many J1s are actually wealthy people who want to pull hoses in the freezing dark for minimum wage.

How exactly am I victim blaming, when I literally said that the J-1's that I mentioned in this case, on their own, chose to seek accomodations different than what their employer had offered to them?

It's their choice. And if they want to make that choice, great for them. If they don't want to make that choice, great for them as well. No vitimhood stuff at all. Just folks, of their own freewill, deciding what they do, or don't want to do

KustyTheKlown

Having a condo next to mine that is listed on VRBO and is rented probably 3 weekends a month during the ski season on average. I can tell you that what is listed as the maximum capacity (both on the VRBO listing as well as in our condo association by-laws) and often how many people those renting the unit have with them, are different numbers. And there's not a lot of fire marshalls checking occupancy numbers for rental units.

a bunch of college kids or 20 somethings piling into a ski condo for a weekend isn't a very apt comparison.

back in jamband tour days we used to put 15 dirty wooks in a 2 double bed hotel room for days at a time.

that's what kids do to party when they are young and poor. for a few days at a time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sometimes it's not unbridled capitalism as much as it's the users avoiding the posted rules and doing whatever they want. Big difference.

Heck, it would be nice if they were like the NH Marine Patrol whom I am guessing you've seen when you're out on your boat on Winnipesaukee in the non skiing season doing safety stops and checking for boat capacity and adequate numbers of life jackets.

Sure, there will always be rule breakers, but if the regulations are clear and the penalties strong enough, such activities would be minimalized.

As for Winnipesaukee. In three full seasons on the lake and about a hundred days on the water, I've never been stopped. It's a rare occurrence I even see people being stopped. About the only enforcement you see on the lake are on the sandbars to make sure people are following no rafting rules or near no wake zones that frequently see people ignore the restrictions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Every J1 I ever supervised (several dozen) wasn't working for the money. They were all rich (for their respective countries) kids doing their version of a ski bum season.

I'm certainly not a fan of ski town economics these days but a bunch of skids renting a place way above their pay grade is not illegal nor should it be. They didn't have a gun held to their head.

And this idea of having unlawful searches of people's residences is just so over the top. There are laws against that in America champ.

Ok. Let's just ignore the wealthy Argentinian suckers and pack em in one per 50 square feet then.

Cause 'merica!

AdironRider

They literally volunteer to do it dipshit.

Every one I've ever employed had the option to utilize employee housing, and jumped to the front of the line mind you, and almost all of them said no way I'd rather be slopeside.

Except for one year when I had a bunch of guys from Turkey. They would get legitimately pissed when I wouldn't let them work 100 hours a week and housing was just a limitation to them not working more. They would have slept in the walk in cooler if I let them.

drjeff

Ok. Let's just ignore the wealthy Argentinian suckers and pack em in one per 50 square feet then.

Cause 'merica!
Isn't that judgemental to presume that J-1's are all poor, as your initial statement inferred DHS?

Far too often that old adage "you can't judge a book by its cover" has plenty of validity when the full story is looked at

drjeff

Sure, there will always be rule breakers, but if the regulations are clear and the penalties strong enough, such activities would be minimalized.

As for Winnipesaukee. In three full seasons on the lake and about a hundred days on the water, I've never been stopped. It's a rare occurrence I even see people being stopped. About the only enforcement you see on the lake are on the sandbars to make sure people are following no rafting rules or near no wake zones that frequently see people ignore the restrictions.
NH Marine Patrol probably could just patrol in/around Braun Bay, West Alton Sand Bar, the general Weirs/Upper Paugus Bay area and Wolfeboro Bay on most weekends and have more work than they can handle.! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

djd66

Victim Shaming?? Really
They literally volunteer to do it dipshit.
I could not have said it better, thank you!

These kids are not the "poor illegal immigrants that they are being made out to be. They are here on their own free will, if they don't like the situation, they can get on a plane and fly back home. Quite honestly, 12 kids in 1,000 sq ft is not very different from a college dormitory.

Smellytele

At Pats peak most J-1's do not ski and want to work as many hours that they can. My wife was a supervisor there and never had one that skied in the 5 years she worked there.

ThatGuy

Maybe you should Moderate yourself when posting such a racist comment
I don’t think Mormon (they prefer to be called LDS) is a race…
Not saying its good to attack anyone for their religion but lets be real.
Its like any insular group, in general they’re going to take care of their own before others. Is what it is.

Also do you think anyone wants to live in squalor? Can’t blame people from South America for wanting a better hosing situation. More (livable and economical) employee housing needs to be available. The shitty old Mt Snow hotel is a perfect example of this. I’d be looking for a different place too if that was my housing.