• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
They literally volunteer to do it dipshit.

Every one I've ever employed had the option to utilize employee housing, and jumped to the front of the line mind you, and almost all of them said no way I'd rather be slopeside.

Except for one year when I had a bunch of guys from Turkey. They would get legitimately pissed when I wouldn't let them work 100 hours a week and housing was just a limitation to them not working more. They would have slept in the walk in cooler if I let them.

So f'n what?

Doesn't make it right and also has no bearing on the situation being discussed as the kids said they feared retribution if discussing their living situation.

Again, why stop at 1 person per 100 square feet? Why not 4? Let's get $40k per month out of these suckers!

You guys look like world-class Aholes just as bad as the scumbag landlord.

But hey, as long as the ski areas have enough cheap labor to spin the lifts for wealthy Americans, who cares about these foreigners right? Let the landlords do whatever the F they want as long as the suckers agree to it

'Merica!!!!

Meanwhile these ski areas have all the money they need to develop enough reasonable housing for their workforce

deadheadskier

Staff member
Victim Shaming?? Really

I could not have said it better, thank you!

These kids are not the "poor illegal immigrants that they are being made out to be. They are here on their own free will, if they don't like the situation, they can get on a plane and fly back home. Quite honestly, 12 kids in 1,000 sq ft is not very different from a college dormitory.

You can't be f'n serious. Yeah it's not too different than a college dorm.

One of the more moronic things I've read on this site

KustyTheKlown

a college dorm assumes things like bunkbeds and ample communal bathroom and kitchen space.

college dorms are what all these resorts should be building to address this problem but the nimbys don't want high density employee housing in their playgrounds

ThatGuy

Prime I got mine so f-you and yours attitude.
Have you ever been in a college dorm it’s definitely not 12 people in two bedrooms. Thats more like tenement housing.

drjeff

Meanwhile these ski areas have all the money they need to develop enough reasonable housing for their workforce
Pretty sure that there are multiple employee housing projects, and not just at Vail owned resorts, that ski area operators are trying to build, that keep running into the NIMBY crowd stopping, often at the local planning and zoning board level, for no real good reason other than the folks on the board, don't want the employees living near their own residences

thetrailboss

Staff member
Reminds me of what was said about the Jews during Nazi Germany. Maybe you should Moderate yourself when posting such a racist comment.
Not racist at all. Your comment shows that you have no fucking clue about what racism is. LDS folks are not a "race" and if you read the Book of Mormon you will see that the text actually states that those of different skin colors are in fact inferior and not blessed by God. Now that is racist.

And if you are a member, take the constructive feedback. We are regularly discriminated against ourselves because of our (mainstream) religious beliefs by these folks. Not at all Christian or constitutional. But yeah, apparently I am the racist.

And let's be real. Your comments about the folks who are the subject of the article and are foreign workers of a different race suggest that you are the one who is racist or at least classist.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Um,.. you settle down.

They rented a ski in ski out property… why is $12k/month exploitive? It’s market rate for that type of property.

Here’s a link to the site for the property they rented https://www.pclodge.com/park-city-vacation-rentals/lodge-mtn-village
You think that they wanted to rent that? There was nothing else.

Seems like you don't know what you are talking about here--these are resort workers trying to make a living and only finding a $12,000 a month property that you think is a fair price. What planet are you on? You have no idea what the discussion was about. Stay in your lane.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
They literally volunteer to do it dipshit.

Every one I've ever employed had the option to utilize employee housing, and jumped to the front of the line mind you, and almost all of them said no way I'd rather be slopeside.

Except for one year when I had a bunch of guys from Turkey. They would get legitimately pissed when I wouldn't let them work 100 hours a week and housing was just a limitation to them not working more. They would have slept in the walk in cooler if I let them.
You do realize that the whole point of the article is that there is NOT enough affordable employee housing at Park City, right?

Don't you have knives to sell? Stick with that.

drjeff

Have you ever been in a college dorm it’s definitely not 12 people in two bedrooms. Thats more like tenement housing.
Paying about 15k a year for my daughter to live in a quad (that is supposed to be a triple but due to too about an extra 200 more students than normal matriculating into the Freshman Class at Holycross, is a quad this year). Open room, about 18 x 18, no built in closets. Just 4 beds, 4 desks, and 4 armoires in the room that would be full open space if not for those pieces of furniture/bedding.

Didn't get any discount on the room fee from the school even though they have an extra student living in the room this year. Just pure extra profit for that "greedy" corporate organization... Wait a minute it's a definitely left leaning college that is being "greedy" And it's a 50+ year old dorm that is slated to be raised and rebuilt in the next 5 - 7 years based on the college's master plan, so it's not some snazzy new collge dorm with all the ammenities of a modern, apartment building as some dorms are these days.

The true reality is that across the country there is a housing supply issue, and often it's because the housing that is being built, is built at a pricepoint (based on demand of the consumer and profit interest of the developer) as well as what are considered "basic"ammenities these days in housing cost a bunch of $$ to install and mainrtain. Do remember that the "poorest" 10% of folks in the US are still "richer" than roughly 90% of the rest of the world's population. What the solution is when you factor in how to address this, I don't really know as you will inevitably have to deal with the reality that there are costs associated with housing and construction as well as zoning regulations too

deadheadskier

Staff member

I don't think you'd even find a prison in this country with a ratio of 10 people for 1k square feet and 1 toilet.

drjeff

I don't think you'd even find a prison in this country with a ratio of 10 people for 1k square feet and 1 toilet.

Guessing there are thousands, if not 10's or even 100's of thousands of small apartments/multi family dwellings across the entire country that have that people to square footage to bathroom ratio you mentioend DHS.

Often they are immigrant extended familes living together, just happy to be in this country, since even though it has some issues, it's still is a far better opportunity for them then where they came from

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pretty sure that there are multiple employee housing projects, and not just at Vail owned resorts, that ski area operators are trying to build, that keep running into the NIMBY crowd stopping, often at the local planning and zoning board level, for no real good reason other than the folks on the board, don't want the employees living near their own residences
If you're talking about VT, then yes.

ThatGuy

Didn't get any discount on the room fee from the school even though they have an extra student living in the room this year. Just pure extra prpft for that "greedy" corporate organization... Wait a minute it's a definitely left leaning college that is being "greedy"
I dont give a shit what way they lean politically, both sides care more about making money than anything else. Its absurd to charge 15k a year for college housing (especially the situation you described) and alot of people can’t afford that.
If it was a “luxury” real estate development going in the towns would be all for it but God forbid the “poors” can have somewhere nice to live. The problem is the “few” have so much that its much more profitable to cater to that and act like theres worker shortages, inflation, ect. than actually address the issues.

ThatGuy

Guessing there are thousands, if not 10's or even 100's of thousands of small apartments/multi family dwellings across the entire country that have that people to square footage to bathroom ratio you mentioend DHS.

Often they are immigrant extended familes living together, just happy to be in this country, since even though it has some issues, it's still is a far better opportunity for them then where they came from
Thats a false equivalency, if I came from Somolia of course I’d be happy working at Walmart on food stamps while living with 15 family members in a two bedroom apartment. Does that mean its ideal or right?

KustyTheKlown

they pack them in in chinatown tenements. a friend used to live on mott street and no joke there were 10 Chinese kitchen workers in the next-door 1 bedroom

my first nyc studio was maybe 150 feet. my long distance girlfriend moved to nyc and moved in. i was a 1st year law associate, she was a 4 am cocktail waitress, who liked to unwind after her shifts with her co-workers and cocaine, in the 'living room' of said studio apartment. 2 year+ long distance relationship ended in about 6 weeks. 75 sq ft pp. lol. we are friendly and i wish her well.

ThatGuy

Also Jeff not trying to come at you, you make alot of points I agree with.

ThatGuy

they pack them in in chinatown tenements. a friend used to live on mott street and no joke there were 10 Chinese kitchen workers in the next-door 1 bedroom

my first nyc studio was maybe 150 feet. my long distance girlfriend moved to nyc and moved in. i was a 1st year law associate, she was a 4 am cocktail waitress. 2 year+ long distance relationship ended in about 6 weeks. 75 sq ft pp. lol.
My friend was paying ~$1,500 a month to live in an actual closet in Manhattan.