• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

Kingslug20

This was before it turned to total shit...with vail...peaks owned it and they would blow the left side..which would turn to a sheet of ice..but it was open

catskillman

Sad news Charles "CB" Slutzky passed away on Monday, funeral service was this morning At the Hunter Synagogue. YOU WOULD THINK HUNTER WOULD OF PUT OUT SOMETHING huh!
Yeah, really... Wonder if Russ went to the service even???

He was a great man...interesting life. Never left the mountain top.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

So I guess North and West sides closed again from the looks of the report? Bummer, hoped to hit Claire's when I an up there on Tues.

Creakyknees

Early 7:30am access if you show your Amex card. So Hunter usually opens late on a powder day because the staff has a problem driving in the snow. So if it's going to be early access tomorrow does that mean they will now open on time because of the powder. This is not going to go well.

catskillman

Early 7:30am access if you show your Amex card. So Hunter usually opens late on a powder day because the staff has a problem driving in the snow. So if it's going to be early access tomorrow does that mean they will now open on time because of the powder. This is not going to go well.

it is only B lift that you can ski on early........per the weekly video from Brooke

catskillman

and so the bad info continues ---

I just got a text from Hunter saying "Oh Happy Day! We've gotten over 4 inches of snow in the last 24 hours....."

AND - the website has 10 inches in the last 24 hours.

Of course - the grooming report is full of false info, but no one is surprised by that anymore...

catskillman

There is a mini world cup race today. They had one a couple of weeks ago and the kids were told to hike up the race trail, because the lift line was too long and they were going to close the race. Parents were crazy...they pay $$$$$$ for the race programs and then the kids were told to hike.. They were exhausted. Can't wait to hear the stories from today, as the lift lines must be even worse today.....

connersw

and so the bad info continues ---

I just got a text from Hunter saying "Oh Happy Day! We've gotten over 4 inches of snow in the last 24 hours....."

AND - the website has 10 inches in the last 24 hours.

Of course - the grooming report is full of false info, but no one is surprised by that anymore...

Was it not 4? Was it not 10? What was the false info?

By the time I got home at 4:30, they had already updated the page with all the lifts being closed and the crowd had moved out on the webcam. How bad was it and what was actually open on the North and West?

Reactions: 180

catskillman

Was it not 4? Was it not 10? What was the false info?

By the time I got home at 4:30, they had already updated the page with all the lifts being closed and the crowd had moved out on the webcam. How bad was it and what was actually open on the North and West?
Well the website today says 10. It definitely was more that 4 at the time they sent the text out yesterday.

look at the website now - has closed trails listed as groomed, a trail open that was closed today for races. Ski patrol has been really busy the last few days. Some horrific accidents. Twilight was total ice Friday, no exaggeration at all - one horrible accident helicopter there again. Today was/is very crowded.

John9

I always knew Hunter was a love it or hate it place, but this seems to have moved beyond that. It's a disaster on and off the trails. Black mold, getting pushed off a chair lift, dangerous conditions, so many great options.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Also - hands down the best ski terrain and most natural snowfall within 2 hrs of NYC or within 2:40 of me - which is about as far as I ever want to go for a day trip.

Everywhere else in Catskills is a longer drive

Reactions: 180

danimals

Also - hands down the best ski terrain and most natural snowfall within 2 hrs of NYC or within 2:40 of me - which is about as far as I ever want to go for a day trip.

Everywhere else in Catskills is a longer drive
How much longer could belleayre possibly be? It averages a decent amount of snow more than hunter and seems the same distance from the thruway.

Attachments

• hunter.png
    hunter.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-03-06 073625.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-06 073625.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 5

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

It's about 20 min further as is Windham (adding 40 min to long day trip)
But
1. Most runs one could lap there are significantly shorter
2. Most lIfts are slower
3. If we get a pass then all other options are much further while Hunter pass includes a couple closer options too

I keep considering ORDA pass - but that is what stops me. And I'm not wealthy enough for my family to ski every weekend Thanksgiving to Easter without a pass.