• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How old is everybody?? How many years have you been skiing/riding?

Greg

Staff member
Anyone else surprised by someone else's age. I put mattchuck2 in his 40's for some reason...

Anyone else surprised by someone else's age. I put mattchuck2 in his 40's for some reason...

I was more surprised by all the people who skied..gave it up for family/careers..and then took up the sport avidly in the past few years. I could never go a season without skiing..it's a huge part of my identity..

Paul

Most of them, actually. Each for different reasons. Some I thought older, some younger. Hmm...

I was more surprised by all the people who skied..gave it up for family/careers..and then took up the sport avidly in the past few years. I could never go a season without skiing..it's a huge part of my identity..

I used to say that about SCUBA. I was an instructor for years, my wife who could barely swim when we met got certified on our Honeymoon because it was so much a part of my identity. Then my daughter was born, and I found that any priority can change at any time. I haven't donned a bottle and rig in over 5 years, but I can get the kid certed in another 3, so its back on. That, and we're heading to Mexico this April, may have to sneak in a few dives then...

Beetlenut

49, 17 (still only 4-5 times/year) The 4 year old starts ski lessons this year!! It's like ski insurance for me.

Wait till you have kids.....

Kids don't have to mean the end of your skiing...I've got a two year old, I had as many days on hill the last two winters as those before (around 40)...just mostly half days now instead of full days. Only one person left in our ski group is kidless...the other 6 couples have at least one. My daughter has already been on the hill...18mo at the time, plastic skis, etc...this year she'll have real skis, real boots and probably log more days than the "average skier."

Greg

Staff member
Kids don't have to mean the end of your skiing...I've got a two year old, I had as many days on hill the last two winters as those before (around 40)...just mostly half days now instead of full days. Only one person left in our ski group is kidless...the other 6 couples have at least one. My daughter has already been on the hill...18mo at the time, plastic skis, etc...this year she'll have real skis, real boots and probably log more days than the "average skier."

Agreed. My first was born in January 2003 and I think I got in a dozen or so days that season. 2004-05 I got 25 days in. My second was born in January 2006 and I still got in 21 days that season. Last year? 35 days. You just need to be creative; take advantage of night skiing, and be sure to give mom a break away from the kids too. My oldest turns 5 this winter and will be out on the hill with me quite a bit. The youngest is very athletic and I expect she'll be on skis in the spring of 2009. Then, the day count should increase a lot! ;)