• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush - 1/18/2008

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 1/18/2008 , 9:05 am - 4:20 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush Resort, Vermont

Conditions: 5"+ new snow, cloudy/snowy early, sunny late. Windy. Temps in the high 20's.

Trip Report: Picked up bvibert around 7:30 pm Thursday night, and madskier6 an hour later. Arrived at the Golden Lion around 11:30 pm. BS'd a bit over some PBRs and crashed at 1 am. Awake at 7 am. ALLSKIING arrived from Killington around 8 am.

Melinda fixed us a nice scrambled egg breakfast and after a brief chat with KingM, we headed up to the mountain. Met Win Smith a bit after 9 am and we boarded Gatehouse and continued on to the North Lynx chair. Birches had some fresh snowmaking which Win seemed pleased with. We heard from a patroller the North Lynx just went on wind hold so we narrowly squeaked in our run over there. We then cut in on Lower Birdland and Win, bvibert, madskier6, ALLSKKING and I laid first tracks over the crusty base. This trail had not been skied since the new snow Monday and the additional 5"+ from today. We were then on to Sleeper which was fantastic. A ton of new snowmaking there which blended beautifully with the new snow.

Took a ride up Bravo with Win and we heard Castlerock went on windhold, but Heaven's Gate was spinning. We bid farewell to Win and headed to Heaven's Gate. Did Jester and then Spillsville. We then planned to check out Twist/Moonshine, but on our ride up Bravo we notice Castlerock was spinning. Beelined over there and hit Castlerock Run and after a water break in the warming hut, Middle Earth X 2. By this point it was 12:30 so we took an hour lunch. After lunch, we did Twist and Moonshine, then Paradise, another run on Middle Earth and ended out the day on the Mall!

All the natural trails were skiing surprisingly well. Close to a foot of new snow this week over the crusty base. Challenging skiing, but extremely enjoyable. Picks of the day were Middle Earth and Moonshine. The middle section of the Mall was sweet with some nice soft bump lines setting up. A great way to finish an awesome open to close day. Brian's first visit to Lincoln Peak and I think we did a great job showing him the key trails. We toasted the day with a few beers in the Castlerock Pub.

Hopped in the car, and pulled in the driveway at 10:45 pm. A loooooong 27 or so hours, but well worth it. Great to get back up to the MRV, if only for a brief time. Thanks for the great company, guys!

I'll have a vid at some point, hopefully this weekend, but it certainly won't be tonight! ;)

Edit: Here's the high res. It's big at 120+ MB :-o but I think it's worth the wait:

Sugarbush: 1/18

For those that don't wait to wait for the download, here's the YouTubage:

Enjoy!

Last edited:

madskier6

WOW. What a great day! So much fun skiing with you guys. It was great to meet and ski with ALLSKIING. Dave is an excellent skier. I'd love to hit K sometime this season & have him show me around a bit. :wink: It was also nice to meet ski_resort_observer, who was working in the Gatehouse Lodge. Great to ski with Greg & bvibert, as always!

We hit most of the best runs on the mountain. As Greg said, the skiing was challenging at times with the crust underneath the soft snow. But there were many places on various runs, where there was little or no ice or crust underneath & skiing the fresh powder was silky smooth. These places were usually lower down on the trail. A great example is the middle part of the Mall that Greg mentioned in his TR. Moonshine & Twist also deserve honorable mention.

I have to admit, my legs are sore this morning. We skied really hard! But it feels great when I think of the quality ski experience we had yesterday. Looking forward to the video & pics.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Just got back to LI....What a great day Friday. Great to meet Madskier6 and watch him rip through the bumps!!! Great to ski with Greg and B again. I skied K on sat but the legs were a bit off...Can't wait for the vid.

bvibert

Staff member
Fantastic day for sure. A real good introduction to Lincoln Peak if you ask me. Things were a little slow to get going for me. I had a lot of trouble getting down that first run, but after a few runs I started to figure it out and really started to enjoy myself. Middle Earth was the run of the day. The Mall was pretty good too. Some really good snow in there, especially for the last run of the day. Honorable mention goes to Paradise and Moonshine, but they were all pretty good.

We definitely put in a full day, which is a nice change of pace for me. I was wiped out on the way home and I feel bad for passing out on Greg for much of the last stretch. Getting up early the next day for work was a challenge and needless to say that I was wiped by the end of the day.

Good skiing with everyone, I hope we can do it again soon! Next time I'll have to give Rumble a shot...

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
So long as you didn't start belching and farting, I'm sure it's ok. Now where's the video? :p

I don't know if I was belching or farting, as I was hardly conscious... I only got a little bit of video so I sent it over to Greg to add to his.

Greg

Staff member
The video is coming along nicely. It's been a struggle though with Movie Maker crashing 20+ times. I think I have that worked out though. Brian's footage is awesome. I hope to have it up tonight, but I really want to take my time and do this great day justice. I have a ton of footage to go through.

snoseek

^^^^^^
I like the new avatar. Pretty eye-catching.

Greg

Staff member
Vids are uploading...

Greg

Staff member
Videos!

Here's the high res. It's big at 120+ MB :-o but I think it's worth the wait:

Sugarbush: 1/18

For those that don't wait to wait for the download, here's the YouTubage:

A thanks to madskier6 for shooting a bunch of video on Friday. Also, big thanks to Brian for shipping over his footage so quickly. It was tricky to transmit 1.3 GB of video over the Internet! Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the final product!
:beer:

bvibert

Staff member
Just watched the YouTubage, can't wait for the high res to finish downloading! Nice work! Really captured to spirit of the day well.

That footage took like 10 hours to upload via FTP overnight, I'm glad you made good use of it! :D

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
you guys had a lot more pow on-trail than Stowe did on Sunday. I thought the two areas got about the same amount. What trails was the early footage filmed on? Remember?

madskier6

you guys had a lot more pow on-trail than Stowe did on Sunday. I thought the two areas got about the same amount. What trails was the early footage filmed on? Remember?

Remember now that we were at the Bush on Friday not Sunday. I would expect a lot less snow after 2 days of skiing it off on a holiday weekend. :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, I guess we didn't really get out the cameras until we got over there. It looks like most of the footage is from Middle Earth actually...

The first bit of footage is Spillsville.