• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epic Winter?

Greg

Staff member
Two over-performing (for once) storms so far this month. Are we in for a truly epic winter after a crappy November?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well... supposedly isn't a strong El Nino associated with a cold and preciptious New England winter? Might be a good reason to plan for the Chic Chocs instead of somehwere out west. Seems like when we do well, they don't... and vice versa.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Well... supposedly isn't a strong El Nino associated with a cold and preciptious New England winter? Might be a good reason to plan for the Chic Chocs instead of somehwere out west. Seems like when we do well, they don't... and vice versa.

That was my understanding of the situation. Just a late start, I suppose.

Madroch

Interesting to see how this weekend and next week pan out. Odd influx of warm again possibly (SW flow??) and some hints toward fish storm Sun and app hugger Wed/thurs-- but maybe the trend is our friend and they explode off the MA/NE cost as they head NE....

ZYDECORICH

Two over-performing (for once) storms so far this month. Are we in for a truly epic winter after a crappy November?

keeping tabs as i said i would, so far the voodoo lady is 2 for 2 with storms on wed. and sat. of some significance for the northeast... this past sat 12/5 and today wed 12/9, and its not even winter yet. fasten your seatbelts kids the gods are lining up.

Last edited:

4aprice

Interesting to see how this weekend and next week pan out. Odd influx of warm again possibly (SW flow??) and some hints toward fish storm Sun and app hugger Wed/thurs-- but maybe the trend is our friend and they explode off the MA/NE cost as they head NE....

I've seen one met say today he thinks 4-6 for the Pocono's Sunday so hopefully the trend is north. Alot of confusion about next week on the models. NAO supposed to tank so a turn to mild seems unlikely. Big storm coming into the west and across but where it ends up is probably outside any models range at this point. Hopefully the lake effect will reek havoc over the next couple of days.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

drjeff

I'll let you know in about 4 1/2 months ;)

Right now, were getting better, although we're still not being fully exposed to to true extent of the polar air, and frankly with today's storm we lucked out with a secondary low forming of the Jersey shore or keep a bit of the cold air locked in, because if it hadn't with the big primary low tracking up basically the St. Lawrence River Valley the Northeast ski areas wouldn't have seen nearly as much white stuff as they have today.

Fingers crossed that we get sustained exposure to the true polar air and as such eliminate any chance of a mixing/change over with subsequent storms! :snow:

ZYDECORICH

keeping tabs as i said i would, so far the voodoo lady is 2 for 2 with storms on wed. and sat. of some significance for the northeast... this past sat 12/5 and today wed 12/9, and its not even winter yet. fasten your seatbelts kids the gods are lining up.

OK, SAT. 12/19 6 INCHES BY ME IN WEST MILFORD 10 MILES FROM MOUNTAIN CREEK. 11 INCHES IN CENTRAL PARK AND 2 FEET IN SAG HARBOR LONG ISLAND. THE VOODOO LADY JUST NEEDS A LITTLE DIRECTION, BUT SHE HAS BEEN DEAD ON. I THINK YOU GUYS UP IN VT AND NH ARE GONNA GET A CHRISTMAS PRESENT. HOPEFULLY ALL OF US WILL. STIR THE POT OF VOODOO CHILI!!!:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

JimG.

Staff member

We are due.

The southern track of this last storm is a good sign.

Last year all the storms blew up north...this one stayed south.

If it isn't this next storm, then it will be the week of New Year's.

We are going to get pounded around the new year.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hate to be the nay sayer here but things are anything but epic at this point. After all the hype from the weather guys about how great December was suppose to be, here is what we have had for storms: One great storm for NNE and one massive storm for SNE that didn't even make it into SNH or SVT. You can add in the great dump from the last week of November if you want (which was completely washed out before snow making temps came around) but that makes only three major storms for the season so far and not even any good minor storms. With the pending Christmas storm looking to be more mix up north and all NCP down south, I would say storminess so far in December has not made up for October and November. The biggest perk of December so far (one big storm for NNE aside) is great consistent and really cold snow making temps without any warm ups to speak of and no total NCP events (at least for NNE pending this coming storm). Color me unimpressed so far, seems like an average early season for October through December. For snow fall (at least in NNE), I would actually say below average.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
So far I've had 2 epic days. The Wednesday lapping chin clip was full on fantastic skiing, as good as it gets. Lapping SBN the following Saturday was equally full-on pow(although settled, almost skiied better) charging. Other then that...it's been pretty lack luster so far. But fear not. It always rains on christmas week and we don't get started until January anyway. With the Lack of March and November/December Storms, 2009 has been kind of a weak ski year.....2010 has a nice ring to it though....here's to next year.