• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Constitutes a Ski Club?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
A couple threads here are mentioning discounts through ski clubs. I remember when I lived into CT getting an ever growing group of folks together for quantity discounts. I had over 30 people at last count. According to the CT Ski Council at the time to form a club and be eligible to receive blocks of discount lift ticket you only needed 15 paying members in your own club to join CSC.

So here are my questions: What Constitutes a Ski Club? Could AlpineZone be a club or have a due paying membership to make a club? Is AZ already considered a club? Would anyone even be interested?

Last edited:

Cornhead

Good question, I know someone who formed a "club" in order to get a discount at Stowe. They required a membership fee of $1. I think they did this explicitly for a one time discount at Stowe. I don't know exactly how they did it. I don't know if they had to be sanctioned by any particular group. I've never really had any interest in joining our local ski club, but I'm considering doing so just to get in on Stowe's discount days. I think the fee to join is $11. I'll join the AZ club for a buck instead. :wink:

steamboat1

What a bunch of cheap bastards.

Belonging to a club, especially one with a house, is much more than discount tickets.

Plus your club would have to belong to a ski council to be eligible.

gmcunni

if just looking for cheap discounts no need to reinvent the wheel, there are plenty of clubs that have very low dues.

here is the one i belong to:

CAST Ski Club

castskiclub@sbcglobal.net
Membership: Student; $5
Individual; $10
Family; $15
All new or replacement ID cards are $1 per membership card.

there are no meetings, no house, no nothing except access to CSC(ct ski council) discounts. pays for itself on the first visit (usually). i don't think you need to live in CT either. other clubs cost more and have more benefits. more benefits might be nice, depending on what you are looking for out of a club. i just want discounted days at a variety of mountains.

gmcunni

Join a club! Danbury or Winterset preferably :spin:
winterset has caught my eye in the past... a lot of day trips (bus) from Newtown which is very close to me AND they have a relationship with Sterling with access to their 2 lodges in VT.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
winterset has caught my eye in the past... a lot of day trips (bus) from Newtown which is very close to me AND they have a relationship with Sterling with access to their 2 lodges in VT.

Yeah, it's a great club. 10$ bus and ~40$ lift tickets (they go on CSC awareness days) is a steal. 50$ for a day of big, VT skiing? I'll take that.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
if just looking for cheap discounts no need to reinvent the wheel, there are plenty of clubs that have very low dues.

here is the one i belong to:

CAST Ski Club

castskiclub@sbcglobal.net
Membership: Student; $5
Individual; $10
Family; $15
All new or replacement ID cards are $1 per membership card.

there are no meetings, no house, no nothing except access to CSC(ct ski council) discounts. pays for itself on the first visit (usually). i don't think you need to live in CT either. other clubs cost more and have more benefits. more benefits might be nice, depending on what you are looking for out of a club. i just want discounted days at a variety of mountains.

Not really what I'm interested in knowing - although that sounds interesting.

Sounds like some of you disdain the idea of a club. That's understandable. Some are just partyers which is not what I'm after.

We run around looking for deals. I'm wondering could AZ make their own? Or would that ruin the would idea of the forum?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

gmcunni

Not really what I'm interested in knowing - although that sounds interesting.

Sounds like some of you disdain the idea of a club. That's understandable. Some are just partyers which is not what I'm after.

We run around looking for deals. I'm wondering could AZ make their own? Or would that ruin the would idea of the forum?

i had asked the same question a few years back, why doesn't AZ form a ski club. the answer i got was the one i passed along. basically running a club takes effort and commitment of people and $$. why start something new when there are plenty of existing options to choose from.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/80950-AZ-Ski-Club

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That's understandable. Some are just partyers which is not what I'm after.

There hasn't been a real "party hardy" ski club in the state since the 90s, to my knowledge. Connecticut has never been known for its parties. The ski clubs are the same. Almost all are family clubs.

Personally, I think you're crazy to start your own club. It's a LOT of work. There are committee members, monthly voting, "government" positions. It's not just get a bunch of people who pay dues to get a bite out of the CSC deals and then call it a day.

Some example club "government":
http://www.ctsnowsnakes.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Snow-Snakes_bylaws_2012.pdf
http://www.wintersetskiclub.org/Constitution/aConstitution.htm
Seems like fun right?

So I wouldn't be asking Nick to put together an AZ ski club on top of all the fantastic deals works out with ski resorts for us already.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Gawd. I hadn't thought to search for previous threads. Please forget I said anything.

fbrissette

Gawd. I hadn't thought to search for previous threads. Please forget I said anything.

No no no. I think it is a great idea. I think you should start the club. I'll take some sacrificing and hard choices, but I'm sure I'll find 1 buck to join.

C-Rex

I run the membership drive and trip planning for the HS Ski Club. We are a part of the CT Ski Council. All you need to join our club is to know someone who is an employee or retired from a United Technologies company. I'm an employee and you guys "know" me so... Check out www.hsskiclub.com for more info. We charge $30 to join per individual OR per family. "Family" being defined as dependents per IRS rules. We don't have a house or anything, just CSC benefits. However, this year we'll be subsidizing some bus trips with club money. We also throw a big happy hour party in early December with free beer, buffet, and we raffle off some gear, lift tickets, and whatnot. The party alone is worth the $30.

wa-loaf

i had asked the same question a few years back, why doesn't AZ form a ski club. the answer i got was the one i passed along. basically running a club takes effort and commitment of people and $$. why start something new when there are plenty of existing options to choose from.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/80950-AZ-Ski-Club

I did the same a number of years ago. They always end up with people deciding there are plenty of existing clubs out there and no one wants to do the organizing of starting and maintaining one here. I like the Summits and think AZ is best at putting together a few organized destination trips. Another one in NE would be cool to add along with Sugarloaf, and if it can be pulled off one out west.

bigbog

What a bunch of cheap bastards.

Belonging to a club, especially one with a house, is much more than discount tickets.

Plus your club would have to belong to a ski council to be eligible.

LOL....not disagreeing with ya' steamboat1,
...But any property owner who hasn't seen the traffic to/from these ski-cat_houses, and doesn't know how to interview for tenants, deserves what they get...
Ideal places for a lot of drug dealing.... If you have place close to mtns, having the place so wired is not a bad idea.

$.01

Last edited: