• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Washing outer layers

Bene288

What's the best way to wash outer layers? I usually rinse them and just let them air dry but it never gets the funky smell out. What do you all do?

dlague

We just wash everything in a washing machine! Just don't put it on Hot and use a delicate cycle if you are concerned. Then air dry or put in a dryer on low temp.

drjeff

Nikwax techwash - and then follow the instructions on the label.

The key is to NOT use a detergent that leaves a residue (most regular detergents that you use for your clothes do) since the residue will cause the wind proof/water proof/breathable membranes that most of our outerwear has to not work properly. Using a detergent designed for those fabrics is key though to properly clean the membranes in out outerwear to keep them working as they're supposed to though

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Apparently with gore-tex products you are supposed to just wash normal cycle with detergent. It "redistributes" the coating on the fabric, apparently.

I think overall depends on what the fabric is made of.

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instructions

Before laundering your garment, zip the front closure, pockets and pit zips completely, and fasten all flaps and straps. Be sure to follow the garment manufacturer’s instructions to ensure high performance.

wash,9.gif
WASHMachine wash on a warm permanent press cycle (105º F/40º C) using a small amount of liquid detergent. Rinse twice, minimize spinning to reduce creasing. Do not use powder detergents or any products that contain fabric softeners, conditioners, stain removers or bleach as they will affect garment performance. Do not wash with heavily soiled clothing.

gostan

Make sure you use a two step process. Wash first to clean the jacket/pants. A second wash is required to reapply waterproofing such as gore tex, etc. I have been using this process on an Arctyrec gore tex shell and pants for 7 years+ and they still breathe and wick the moisture to perfection. There are now some other products that compete with Nixwax that are similar and less expensive. I usually restock annually at one of the REI sales.

Sky

Cabelas sells the Nikwax products.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=nikwax&WTz_l=Header

I've also used "Storm Shed". I met this guy at a trade show. I've tried the product...a liquid teflon, similar product to what the Army uses to rejuvenate their ECWCS garments. I didn't like it. Left white stuff all over my coat. Looks like they are out of business now.

Guidance I got from the Gore Tex rep was to definittely launder the garment. Dirt within the fabric will break down the garment. THis is certainly more of an issue with soldiers, who you'd expect to put their garments through some pretty tough conditions.

JimG.

Staff member
Nikwax Techwash is the way to go. Hang a day to dry and you're good to go.

HowieT2

I also use the nikwax techwash. my understanding is that the shells should be washed after every 20 days of use.

as for the odor issue, never had this with outerwear, but nikwax came out with a new product last year, I believe it is called basewash, but Im not sure, that you add to machine when washing base layers to eliminate the odor. not sure its appropriate or safe for outerwear. for other gear, like my bike pads, I use something called Mirazyme which is an enzymatic cleaner that eliminates odors. you can spray on or add to wash.

gostan

REi also sells products similar to Nikwax made by a British company called Granger. it seems to work equally well to the similar Nix wax products and is a bit less expensive.

skifree

I never wash my outerwear. Wear it till no longer functional and then buy new

bigbog

Nikwax;s techwash and powdered detergents have worked well....for detergents the powder rinses out. This has been for the older 2002/3 plain gore-tex shells. Go with your instructions for anything newer.....
Cool on the wash...Dry on low[est] heat setting = again for my older gore-tex shells....
Think as instructions Nick inserted...just don't overdue it on the amount of detergent(powder = has been good).....

Last edited:

Bene288

It's mostly the shell. Don't worry so much about the pants, they're pretty beat. The jacket is still in good shape but it is starting to smell a bit on the funky side.

I actually just tossed it in the dryer with some fabric softener sheets. I do it with hockey equipment that can't be washed and it seems to help with the smell. I'll definitely try the specialty detergent next time.

HowieT2

It's mostly the shell. Don't worry so much about the pants, they're pretty beat. The jacket is still in good shape but it is starting to smell a bit on the funky side.

I actually just tossed it in the dryer with some fabric softener sheets. I do it with hockey equipment that can't be washed and it seems to help with the smell. I'll definitely try the specialty detergent next time.

get mirzayme for the hockey equipment and spray it on. kills the funk.