• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is your estimated cost per lift ticket for 2014/15 ski season?

Rambo

My cost per lift ticket comes to $12.50 each. That doesn't seem so expensive.
(Bought 2014/2015 seasons pass at Greek Peak at early discounted price of $399 and plan on using it 32 times).

skiNEwhere

Have no idea what my total cost per day will average out to, but I will try to get out every chance I get!

deadheadskier

Staff member
probably somewhere in the high 30s. No season pass this year, just deal shopping. Goal is 20+ days and not to exceed $800 in expenses.

Smellytele

For what I have set at this moment about $8-$9 to ski 35 times at 6 ski areas (Whiteface, Pico, Wildcat, Cannon, Loon and Pats peak). If I hit Killington early season a couple of times then a little more - $10. I may ski some other areas but nothing planned at this moment.

mbedle

25 bucks at the local hill - Blue. 60 bucks at Stowe and Stratton. Stowe and Stratton are a guesstimate, not sure what the club prices will be yet.

mbedle

For what I have set at this moment about $8-$9 to ski 35 times at 6 ski areas (Whiteface, Pico, Wildcat, Cannon, Loon and Pats peak). If I hit Killington early season a couple of times then a little more - $10. I may ski some other areas but nothing planned at this moment.

Holly Cow!!! Can I hire you to buy my tickets this year???? Don't let the secret out, you'll be on every resort's hit list... lol

bigbog

Well...it looks like Sugarloaf/Boyne has kept the residents' Wednesday daily ticket at $39, but the base price to ski on a weekend will again be either the Boyne Silver Pass($759..as of now+) or the $83/day lift ticket. Pricing for eTickets should bring it down a little bit, but as it is not displayed previous to purchase I doubt the price will come down much. Some choices in the work schedule might make it possible to get out midweek, so my schedule is still flexible for a midweek Pass, which I had back in the 90s.
Prices out west look pretty good....and some BC lodges are indeed doable as well....

Last edited:

VTKilarney

At the risk of being anal, a per-day isn't the only measure of value. We think along "per day" lines because that is how we are used to purchasing our tickets.

But who got the better value? A person who paid $400 to ski 2.5 hours on each of 10 days, or a person who paid $500 to ski 6 hours on each of 7 days? The former paid $16 per hour of skiing whereas the latter paid $11.90 per hour.

mbedle

At the risk of being anal, a per-day isn't the only measure of value. We think along "per day" lines because that is how we are used to purchasing our tickets.

But who got the better value? A person who paid $400 to ski 2.5 hours on each of 10 days, or a person who paid $500 to ski 6 hours on each of 7 days? The former paid $16 per hour of skiing whereas the latter paid $11.90 per hour.

Good Point! I only ski for about 1-2 hours each time at the local hill. Tend to ski a lot longer when up in Vermont. It is, however, interesting to see how little people can pay for a lift ticket.

bigbog

That's assuming steady incoming $$$ as in days gone by. "Value" means nothing...either you're enjoying the $$$ OR the skiing....one means absolutely nothing to the other(to Me)...the outdoors doesn't have a cheap pricetag to me...but that's just me. There's a lot more nice terrain than just at a resort, for me...most of the inbound time these days is with others for more of a social event = has often added up to the same or more than a Pass. A Pass is a bet, fun one at that...but I've gotten away on Wednesdays to have fun. When the Loaf picks up new snow they usually leave more till the end of the week before they groom.. Unfortunately here in the East the backcountry time is limited so it's a game of gear-up with snowmobile, AT bindings & skins then wait for enough snow to cover the smaller rocks and ground-hugging blowdowns..

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member

good point

Though, if given the choice with conditions being equal of skiing 20 half days vs 10 full days, I'd take the 20 days every time even if it costs me significantly more.

steamboat1

25 bucks at the local hill - Blue. 60 bucks at Stowe and Stratton. Stowe and Stratton are a guesstimate, not sure what the club prices will be yet.
Stowe is $44 per day this year for the ski club appreciation days. No multi-day discounts this year. Haven't seen Stratton appreciation days listed yet. As for the ski club discount vouchers made available through the various councils I haven't used those in years. Not really such a great deal anymore & the return policy for unused vouchers makes them a risky investment.

steamboat1

Last season with my pass it came out to $13 & change per day (33 days on the pass). My pass price went up $20 + plus tax this year so I'll have to ski a little more to get down to the same price. Not really a bad problem to have. As for discounts at other areas I'd say a little over $40 per day (had 11 days at other areas). Last year was under that but mainly because of one day at Mt. Ellen for only $6.50.

Smellytele

I remember in days gone by no matter where we skied on any given day we tried to get the cost per run down to $1 but that is almost impossible in this day in age with day tickets.

mbedle

Stowe is $44 per day this year for the ski club appreciation days. No multi-day discounts this year. Haven't seen Stratton appreciation days listed yet. As for the ski club discount vouchers made available through the various councils I haven't used those in years. Not really such a great deal anymore & the return policy for unused vouchers makes them a risky investment.

I think the only risk was a $4 charge to get a vouchers for next years tickets. I'm guessing that some clubs don't allow you to return any of them, that would be a big risk. I still think $60 (it might $64 - can't remember) compared to $84 isn't a paid break on a Stowe lift ticket.

steamboat1

I think the only risk was a $4 charge to get a vouchers for next years tickets. I'm guessing that some clubs don't allow you to return any of them, that would be a big risk. I still think $60 (it might $64 - can't remember) compared to $84 isn't a paid break on a Stowe lift ticket.
Many of the ski areas have a strict return policy. I think some might not accept any back at all (not sure). Most others only accept 20% in return. It has nothing to do with what the policy of your club is unless of course their policy is not to accept any back. It is the ski areas that won't take them in return or only a limited amount. I kind of remember my club listing the percentage that each area will accept back last year on their order form.

edit: For example if your club ordered 100 vouchers to XYZ area & at the end of the year members returned 40 of those vouchers from XYZ area & XYZ area only accepts 20% in return XYZ area will only take 20 back. Someone is going to eat the other 20 vouchers the ski area won't take back. I had to eat a couple of Sugarbush vouchers several years back. (I have no luck with Sugarbush. I had to eat 3 out of 4 quad pack tickets I bought when I broke my ankle two years ago too. I'm sticking with my friends employee discount tickets to that place from now on. Problem is he's not always around, he does have to work his other jobs sometimes)

Moral of story only order what you are going to use & don't count on being able to return any.

Last edited: