• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is the last day for snowmaking

Los

Cannon''s snow report affirms resuming the guns tonight when temps drop.

yeah, baby. I was extremely disappointed with the progress they made first half of the season. But I've been impressed with their ability/willingness to keep the snowmaking going. Crossing my fingers that this will let us ski through at least the first week of April...

slatham

Well this is a surprise. Just received an email from Bromley:

Yes, that is a snowgun at the top of this page, thank you for noticing! It may 50° right now, but by 6am tomorrow morning it will be 14° at the summit. Have we mentioned we love winter?! We do. So much so that we will resume snowmaking again early Friday morning and keep this crazy season going in style. Bonus points to anyone who can remember the last time Big B turned on a snow gun after the February holiday week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Attitash too

Weird. Why bother when they close end of March. I'd rather see all the snowmaking dollars spent up at Wildcat now. I figured both were done for the season as it's been a while since they've made anything. 10 days maybe?

yeggous

Weird. Why bother when they close end of March. I'd rather see all the snowmaking dollars spent up at Wildcat now. I figured both were done for the season as it's been a while since they've made anything. 10 days maybe?

Some advertising for the last weekend of school vacation? They're only lighting up their fan guns. I'm surprised by this decision too.

What really blows my mind is that Bretton Woods is going to blow again too. They are usually done in early January. Things must really be rough out there.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If you're south of the Canadian boarder and you don't blow snow you've got 3 weeks left in your season, tops. Blow this weekend and you have a *chance* at making it to the last weekend of March if NEXT week's rain doesn't kill us more.

MEtoVTSkier

It's got to be bad publicity, that may come back to haunt the open resorts next year, if you give up now with the first day of spring not until March 20th. No major resort is going to want to be known as the first few to give up. I'd bet overwhelming support will go to the resorts that not only go the extra mile, but the extra month.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you're south of the Canadian boarder and you don't blow snow you've got 3 weeks left in your season, tops. Blow this weekend and you have a *chance* at making it to the last weekend of March if NEXT week's rain doesn't kill us more.

There are trails at Attitash with enough base to make it to the end of the month even with the forecast. If they had to close early, I doubt it bothers them much as they're not late season players and will push people to Wildcat.

This seems like what yeggous says; marketing snow. I doubt it's an attempt to build base.

drjeff

Probably going to be a shorter list if you list which medium to large resorts AREN'T going to be turning the guns on the next couple of days once the temps arrive than are is what I'm guessing...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
At this point, most resorts have not even gotten close to their normal amount of snowmaking hours. So even though revenues are down, they have not spent all their money allowed on snowmaking. They are giving it their best shot in a tough situation.

Ditto. Most areas started making snow 2-4 weeks later than usual, and even then they were only getting short windows of opportunity. There were only a few weeks of consistent snowmaking temperatures this year. I bet man hours, water, and air usage are all down significantly.

Energy is cheap too.

cdskier

Ditto. Most areas started making snow 2-4 weeks later than usual, and even then they were only getting short windows of opportunity. There were only a few weeks of consistent snowmaking temperatures this year. I bet man hours, water, and air usage are all down significantly.

Energy is cheap too.

Not sure how accurate this thought is. On 2/15, this is what Win from Sugarbush said: "At LP we normally use about 130-140 million gallons of water. As of this morning we have used 164 million."

benski

Not sure how accurate this thought is. On 2/15, this is what Win from Sugarbush said: "At LP we normally use about 130-140 million gallons of water. As of this morning we have used 164 million."

They defiantly have a lot more capacity than they used too. Maybe they have made more snow but also lost more.

cdskier

They defiantly have a lot more capacity than they used too. Maybe they have made more snow but also lost more.

Absolutely. I'm sure they've lost a ton more than normal. The comment was more in response to some other comments that mountains should still have snowmaking budget left since they have had less opportunities to make snow. While some areas might have made less snow so far than in a normal year, there are certainly others that have definitely used up their budget, hours, water, etc (and perhaps even exceeded it).

yeggous

I don't think anyone has "budget" left. As previously mentioned, I heard directly from the horse's mouth that Wildcat has pumped twice as much water uphill this year as last.

drjeff

Heck, even Mount Southington, South of Hartford, CT is turning the guns back on tomorrow! You need to pretty much throw everything one used to associate with typical ski area management practices out the door in this VERY atypical season!