• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Season in Review (2015-2016)

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I Joined the forum to see pictures that can't be seen without logging in . Never got the feeling that anyone here was gloating . Like Fan I'm at a point where cash is short and my other hobby drains my allotment . Things are getting better slowly but I hope to get more New England trips ,let alone get out West again or even another Heli trip like 30yrs ago .My skiing vicariously isn't all that bad ,glad some ones getting SNOW somewhere.
Sometime the grass is Greener and sometimes not.

SkiFanE

I Joined the forum to see pictures that can't be seen without logging in . Never got the feeling that anyone here was gloating . Like Fan I'm at a point where cash is short and my other hobby drains my allotment . Things are getting better slowly but I hope to get more New England trips ,let alone get out West again or even another Heli trip like 30yrs ago .My skiing vicariously isn't all that bad ,glad some ones getting SNOW somewhere.
Sometime the grass is Greener and sometimes not.

in my 45 ski years only went west once - to Tahoe when conditions were no different than East. I believe it's just better to have no clue what your missing. If I knew - would make it difficult (or I'd have to be even more frugal than I am now to get out there lol). I truly feel fortunate skiing 50-60 days/year in East.

deadheadskier

Staff member
With a toddler, non-skiing wife, busy work schedule and parents retired in Florida, a Western ski trip isn't on my radar probably for at least a decade. I hate Florida, but cherish family. So, if I'm getting on a plane somewhere it's Florida.

Still enjoy the Western stoke. And I actually get more jealous of seeing great Eastern skiing stoke than Western because I don't feel like I'm missing something when I see Colorado trip reports. I see a good TR from the east and it's likely from somewhere within three hours from me, which means I'm missing out on something much more easily attainable.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
in my 45 ski years only went west once - to Tahoe when conditions were no different than East. I believe it's just better to have no clue what your missing. If I knew - would make it difficult (or I'd have to be even more frugal than I am now to get out there lol). I truly feel fortunate skiing 50-60 days/year in East.

I'm not so sure about not knowing what you're missing. I truly believe if I skied powder everyday I would quit skiing or not nearly ski as much, it would be boring after some time. I like the challenging East conditions , I've heard it said many times if you learn to ski in the East you can ski anywhere and I think that's a true statement. 50-60 days was my best year in the 80's In Pa. SR's a far better!

xlr8r

Definitely a bad year in quality and quantity of skiing. High point was getting out west to Steamboat for 5 days, but only got 3 inches of new snow while I was there. In the east only did 2 overnight trips which is less than half of my usual. One to Sugarloaf/Sunday River over new years which was still early season conditions, and one in late January to Killington which actually had some good snow both man made and a little bit of natural. Otherwise I did a few day trips to Loon which ranged from okay to good, but never any fresh snow.

I feel like I kinda jinxed the season by buying new Brahmas and a MAX pass before the season. I was planning on having such a great season, but the conditions just never delivered. Other than another MAX pass I'm not making any major gear purchases this off season.

At least I went out west this year as next year it looks like a family trip to Hawaii is gonna happen instead.

JimG.

Staff member
I don't mind western trip reports.

I could travel west for skiing whenever; I'm an eastern skier.

cdskier

Still enjoy the Western stoke. And I actually get more jealous of seeing great Eastern skiing stoke than Western because I don't feel like I'm missing something when I see Colorado trip reports. I see a good TR from the east and it's likely from somewhere within three hours from me, which means I'm missing out on something much more easily attainable.

I have mixed opinions on the western pics. On the one hand I'm certainly jealous, but on the other hand you raise a very valid point about a good eastern TR being worse if you missed out on that when it was so close.

snoseek

c3f80a24f237a865691ffa8b3064bbd6.jpg

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
ALPINEZONE.COM

The northeast guide to mountain adventure

Eastern focus was Greg's mission for the site when he started it 15 years ago, but times change.
Probably need to change the slogan considering half the ownership lives in Colorado, numerous members have moved out there and several more ski there frequently.

AZ will never be TGR or Epic in terms of Western focus, but I think the evolving diversity of the forums is a very good thing. Most of our Western "expats" are quite welcoming hosts to folks who travel out there. I really can't think of a negative aspect of Western involvement in the forums.

jimk

Fine discussion and I apologize if some of my posts come across as obnoxious. As for gloating - I'm guilty:) I probably have an inferiority complex around you New Englanders from experiencing so many sparse snow years in the mid-Atlantic.
But I'm also a compulsive picture taker and can't help sharing some of my favorites from time to time. This thread seemed to beg for a little of that. Occasionally folks give me positive feedback for posting eye candy, especially if forum members are featured in some pics. FWIW, my wife and I paid our dues raising four children/skiers and I still travel very frugally to maximize slopetime.

When I have a good experience in NE I share the love for ski resorts in that region too: http://www.dcski.com/columnists/index.php?columnist_id=8

Just for fun here are five Eastern photos from recent years.

AZ member KevinF at Sugarloaf, 2014:
LL

One of my favorites of my son at Wildcat, 2010:
LL

Suicide Six, this line was suicidal in 1936, still a good bump workout 80 years later :

Whiteface summit view, 2014:
LL

MRG single chair:
800x600px-LL-89473b25_1263861654_pic1.jpg

Brad J

Hey Brad. Good chance I'll go, perhaps with my son? Won't decide until later. Need to see how some other things line up for next winter. W/B is a bucket list destination for all North Americans and I've never been. The trip "meisters" are a real fun Canadian couple I've known for several years. How about you?

I have not figured out my year yet , will wait until fall to decide. have a good summer.

steamboat1

Eastern focus was Greg's mission for the site when he started it 15 years ago, but times change.
Probably need to change the slogan considering half the ownership lives in Colorado, numerous members have moved out there and several more ski there frequently.

AZ will never be TGR or Epic in terms of Western focus, but I think the evolving diversity of the forums is a very good thing. Most of our Western "expats" are quite welcoming hosts to folks who travel out there. I really can't think of a negative aspect of Western involvement in the forums.
Yes there is a thread for that.

[h=2]Non-Northeast Skiing Trip Reports[/h]Submit and discuss skiing and snowboarding trip reports from outside the Northeastern USA.

cdskier

As much as the western pics make me jealous, I still don't mind seeing them once in a while. It does certainly make me want to go out there one day. My biggest worry is that I'm always afraid that I won't want to come back to the east! 8)

Also, nice NE pics jimk!

dlague

Well being an eastern skier since '77 and learning to Ski at Jay Peak, I had minimal experience ski other areas beside being station in Europe in the 80s and some skiing in Southern California (much like NE). I have looked at pictures and TR for other places on this forum and I finally bit the bullet and traveled to Banff last season and then to Colorado this season. Do not let anyone fool you skiing here or in western Canada is much different than NE. Everything feels bigger the snow is natural, chutes are thrilling, bump trails are longer, views are exilleratiing, and I could go on. There are places like Keystone where runs are like NE resorts on steroids and they are an example of a place with bump runs that take the wind out of you.

That being said, I always enjoyed when others shared their stories and that is what inspired me to ski out here and eventually move out here. I want to share the experience because it is different. Many people come out here when everyone else is doing the same but we have run into many easterners who have made the trip out here in May and I bet we will talk to some here in June. I also am in awe of the amount of snow and I would suspect the diehards on this forum would feel the same. I love NE skiing and always will. But it is different here and we like it.

BTW I think Epic and TGR forums are not as fun. I have been on this forum actively even in the summer for 4 or so years and being out west does not change that. I will continue to enjoy pics and TR from where ever by whomever. That is the fun part and I enjoy pics. Last note, my kids ask to skiing vacations which makes my wife nuts since she would like one year to have a warm beach winter vacation.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Very preliminary Quebec plan...

Day/Night

Dartmoth/Gleason
Massif Du Sud/Original
St Anne/Ralais
Massif
Stonham/Castor
Grand Fonds
Edouard
Valinouet/Lac Vert
Adstock
Whaleback

Leaving from Wilmington VT. Advice is welcomed and appreciated.

MSA, Massif and Stoneham are all on the same pass plan. You buy the day and can decide which of the three you want to ski any given day.

Valinouet is a long drive, where do you plan on crossing the St. Lawrence, Quebec City? How many total days are you planning on?

ironhippy

I have looked at Val D'Irene also thanks. May wind up doing a week trip up that way and another week at MSA/Le Massif. A lot will depend on snow conditions also.

If you are considering doing a week in the Gaspe area, Murdochville is on the other side of the Chic Chocs and has very good terrain, but only a tbar lift and they are only open on weekends/holidays.
However, if you are interested, there is great touring/cat/heli skiing between Amqui and Murdochville, and way more skiing than you could do in a week.

The Gaspe is north enough that it usually avoids any rain and they get the storms that come from quebec and that roll up the coast, however as you stated it always depends on snow conditions.

JimG.

Staff member
If you are considering doing a week in the Gaspe area, Murdochville is on the other side of the Chic Chocs and has very good terrain, but only a tbar lift and they are only open on weekends/holidays.
However, if you are interested, there is great touring/cat/heli skiing between Amqui and Murdochville, and way more skiing than you could do in a week.

The Gaspe is north enough that it usually avoids any rain and they get the storms that come from quebec and that roll up the coast, however as you stated it always depends on snow conditions.

My interest in the area stems from a trip report you posted a few years ago. I need to do more research but it seems like a place with a lot of adventure. My oldest son will be very interested in cat or heliskiing.